Three matches added to AEW's Fight For The Fallen event on 7/15

Originally published at Three matches added to AEW's Fight For The Fallen event on 7/15 - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

AEW wrapped up night two of their Fyter Fest event on July 8th and following the two week event, they’re returning to TNT next week with Fight For The Fallen. Three matches have been added to the show lineup including a TNT Championship bout. Cody Rhodes will look to continue his winning streak as he defends against Sonny Kiss.

FTR suffered their first pin fall loss in AEW on night two of Fyter Fest after being defeated by The Lucha Bros. in a eight-man tag team match. At Fight For The Fallen, the two duos will meet again in a traditional tag team match. Also, after successfully defending the AEW World Tag Team Championships two weeks in a row with Hangman Page, Kenny Omega will re-join The Young Bucks in six-man tag team action to face Jurassic Express (Marko Stunt, Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus).

Next week!
Fight for the Fallen#AEWDynamite

See it on https://t.co/NCjjtslEgP pic.twitter.com/ZcGW1U3rQv

— FITE (@FiteTV) July 9, 2020

Those match additions join Brian Cage vs. Jon Moxley for the AEW World Championship at Fight For The Fallen. Moxley versus Cage was scheduled to headline night two of Fyter Fest but Moxley came into contact with someone that has COVID-19 so he made the decision not to partake in the Fyter Fest tapings.

Here’s the updated lineup for Fight For The Fallen:

* AEW World Championship: Jon Moxley (c) vs. Brian Cage (w/ Taz)
* The Elite (Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks) vs. Jurassic Express (Marko Stunt, Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus)
* Lucha Brothers (Rey Fenix & Pentagon Jr.) vs. FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler)
* TNT Championship: Cody (c) vs. Sonny Kiss

Seriously impressed at this. Lucha Bros vs FTR is going to be great.

The Elite vs JE should be a fun match to watch.

I’m not a Moxley fan at all and I’m just hoping he drops the belt soon, but I don’t think that Brian Cage should be the one to win it.

And Cody vs Sonny… well… its a match.

1 Like

Really disappointed in this. If I’m not mistaken, this is the same day that the 90 days is up for the released WWE guys. I would have liked them to tease a mystery and maybe have Ryder or someone accept.

So I guess the TNT Champion’s face is gonna get humped.

Brian Cage should win the AEW title. Moxley/Ambrose has never had a good singles title run and while a lot of this current disappointing run can be put down to current circumstances, this run still needs to end. There’s more interest now with Cage & Taz.

1 Like

Are they so delusional that they think Sonny Kiss is someone anyone wants to watch? I mean, who actually thinks “I need to tune in to watch that match?”.

They must be deliberately trolling now.

I think the FTW title, pretty much guarantees he wont.

1 Like

What about Joey Janela? He’s top contender quality.

1 Like

Counterpoint:

Sonny Kiss is a wrestler who’s finally getting the opportunity that he’s earned.

The man is extremely talented, & I’m glad Cody’s using his stature to give Sonny a mini-push. This is a performer who should have been on AEW’s “main roater” MONTHS ago.

There’s so much talk about what AEW can do to attract new fans, and I think Sonny is one of those talents who can broaden the tent. Now YOU may not be a fan of Sonny’s style…But there’s a good number of fans out there who can relate to Sonny that have been waiting for him to get his chance.

Really happy for Sonny & those fans that he’s getting a showcase as against one of the top guys in the company. :100:

7 Likes

Agree I am excited to see Sonny get used more.

This AEW card is stacked. NXT should reply with Road Wild or New Blood Rising

I’m sure there are a “good” number of fans but I can almost guarantee there are far more who have zero interest in watching him. Putting him in this match ahead of any number of other people is a perplexing decision to say the least.

Why? it is an open title challenge. Why is he less deserving of say Mark Quenn? Or Ricky Starks? Were people clamoring to see those TV title matches? The point of the open challenge is to spot light lesser used talent, not to put on your top feud.

Exactly! How is someone “undeserving” of a match that by definition anyone can apply for? :man_shrugging:t4:

And I think you underestimate Sonny’s popularity, Bdubz. But let’s go with the worst-case scenario & they have a clunker of a match…Has anyone been hurt? Cody’s teflon to the AEW audience, and even if Sonny is terrible, it’s not like we haven’t seen a bad match in a big spot by this company before (Haeger-Dustin immediately springs to mind). But on the other hand, the best case scenario is they have a fun match which elevates Sonny & helps usher new fans into the AEW party. :100:

6 Likes

Stop projecting your insecurities or personal bias and claiming that nobody wants to watch Sonny.

The dude is incredibly talented. Had the opportunity to work with him over the years, and is incredibly humble as well.

I assure you, he will make the most of this opportunity, and I cannot wait.

1 Like

I think you’re completely missing the point of these open challenges. It’s precisely for wrestlers like Sonny Kiss or any others to showcase themselves and have a match in the spotlight, it couldn’t be more obvious that’s what they’re doing.

I really don’t understand how anybody can object to any wrestler answering the challenge. It’s like complaining that water is too wet.

1 Like

What are these exactly?

Also let’s say we go with deserving guys only. If he is defending every week (he isn’t but he said he would) you are either going to run through all the major matches quickly or end the title reign quickly. If you look at the defenses the only major one (Haeger) has build and story. The others were more about the challenger and spotlighting guys lower on the card.

I mean it might be that a lot of wrestling fans don’t like Sonny Kiss. I only need to look at the backlash to Nyla to see how close minded people are. But I have no desire to see wrestling cater to people’s prejudice

1 Like

We still continuing with this moronic logic that NXT competing for viewers is somehow an immoral thing to do? :joy:

AEW want to gain more viewers, NXT want to gain more viewers. AEW putting up “special” episodes made NXT want to put something up against them. Good. It’s great for the fans. Why cry about competition?

Apparently a lot of people are continuing with moronic logic in relation to a number of debates like I give a fuck about the sex Sonny Kiss’s identifies as rather than my issue is he is a nobody with a shit gimmick that does nothing to increase the credibility of the business.

1 Like

His shit gimmick is being himself, soooo…

1 Like