Three matches added to AEW's Fight For The Fallen event on 7/15

That’s a given. People pretend to be outraged by everything these days. It’s what so many people wait for so that they can get on the internet and pretend to be part of something they have zero interest in, as being part of the mob achieves the primary goal of being a part of something and thus validating their own self worth. I mean, that is so much more important than educating oneself on the complex underlying issues. :roll_eyes:

Seth Rollins enters the chat

After all the huge to do. Sonny went 11 mins, had a serious demeanor through the match, and was Janella from Janella vs Archer, he got in some offense but you never really felt like he was going to win. It was a fine match that told the story of Cody kind of over looking the guy and being frustrated and very aggressive in pursuit of victory. At the end Sonny had earned Cody’s respect and looked upset in defeat as one should with losing an important match.

The FTR/Lucha Bros ending on the other hand I really didn’t like. Just seems super dumb way to end the match and why won’t every other competitor just do the same going forward.

Yeah I like my booking better :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but it was ok.

The match was pretty much 80-20 for Cody and I like the slow burn story they’re telling. I just can’t buy into Kiss’s offence though. Keep Sonny in the tag division until he gets more experience.

I didnt watch the entire show, but I caught the end. 100% agreed with @andrewisgood in the feedback thread regarding masks, it was pretty disappointing to see people in the “audience” not wearing a mask. After everything the WWE just went through, and AEW even taking shots at them on the air, you would think that they would know better. Does AEW not have a mask policy like the WWE one launched this week?

I started to watch the main event, but changed the channel about 6min in, I just found Moxley/Cage very boring, it felt like I was watching a pointless match on Raw or Smackdown. Plus, putting the FTW title on Cage pretty much gave away the result as well.

1 Like

So to follow up on last weeks chat, I watched the Cody and Sonny Kiss match and thought he looked incredibly green and out of his depth for such a high profile match on their flagship programme on national tv. The “spot” where he took what seemed like forever to set himself up was painful to watch.

And I completely disagree that the finish of the Cage and Moxley match didn’t harm Cage. Apart from the fact having him not tap out is a complete babyface move, why book the match in the first place if you are not going to put him over? It just immediately makes him a nobody. Why do they continue to unnecessarily book themselves into a corner? And Moxley saying he was going to rip Cages bicep was a heel promo. They are living in a bizarro world.

And, unbelievably, they are managing to fuck up FTR already. Rather than elevating The Lucha Bros (if that is even possible), The Lucha Bros pulled them down with a typically sloppy outing.

And quote of the night was Jericho saying “there are no rules in wrestling” (although he really should have said AEW instead of wrestling),

Ya, I didnt get that main event either. The main event scene in AEW right now is struggling big time. I’m sorry, but Moxley vs Lee, Moxley vs Cage, Moxley vs Hager, are not just main event level matches.

If feels like AEW are trying to make a point that they can make WWE mid carders into main eventers at the expense of their own product.

1 Like

What is the deal with Tyson? No mention of him in weeks. Have they quietly dropped that angle following the recent sexual misconduct allegations?

Also, why was the match stopped because Taz through in the towel? Was that a match stipulation as it isn’t a generally accepted pro-wrestling rule?

Arnold Skaaland did it to Backlund, ending his reign to the Iron Sheik.

Helen Hart threw in Bret’s towel against Backlund at Survivor Series 94… Although it was a towel match.

Fonz did it to Sabu against Taz at Living Dangerously 99, in an ECW / FTW Championship match.

More recently, last fall, MJF threw in Cody’s towel to let Jericho retain.

It’s not often used, but it’s an established finish. And one that I really like.

It comes from boxing, right? I don’t mind it if it comes from someone who would be considered their official “manager”. I don’t care for it if it’s done by another wrestler.

I liked the Hart one as well, very unique situation and it worked.

So you didn’t care for this ending?

https://streamable.com/yo5x7

As long as it’s not overdone it’s a great finish.

We want winners or losers not matches in a swamp or stupid DQs in big matches. It protected Cage because he can say he didn’t tap and Taz can say he was trying to protect his meal ticket.

It also made sense because of the established story that Cage had bicep surgery. WWE baby faces are usually booked to be dumb asses so a smart one like Moxley is such a breath of fresh air.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen that clip before to be honest. I’m ok with that since its his tag team partner. If we are looking at this from a “realistic” perspective, it makes sense for the tag partner to throw in the tower for the greater good of the team.

I dont like it if its just a guy accompanying the wrestler to the ring.

For example, if WWE had a random baby face (say Jeff Hardy) throw in the towel for Braun Strowman while he was facing the Fiend because they were both feuding with Wyatt at the same time, I wouldn’t like that.

I disagree. It babyfaced Cage. But it didn’t protect him as a heel.

Heels pout and make excuses after the loss, which is exactly what Cage did.

Throwing in the towel usually does that, it puts sympathy on the wrestler who lost but didnt give up.
Same idea as of what happened Austin against Hart at WM13.

1 Like

I think the finish was ok, and really the only one they could do to protect Cage without him winning the title. The other options are
1.) Double count out - this could work but is a lot less interesting, especially if it is a brawl outside the ring beyond the count. Still would baby face Cage to an extent as he would have a legit gripe and ability to demand a rematch.
2.) Count out for Mox - Makes Cage look dumb
3.) DQ win- they don’t seem to want to do this and it baby faces Cage, I’d say Darby interferes and gets Mox DQ’d
4.) DQ loss- makes him look dumb
5.) Timr limit draw - I like this possibility but with 60 min time limits for their title matches this will never happen on TV.

I think him losing because his manager got scared works, and if played right doesn’t baby face him. He just needs to fixate on that he didn’t lose the match.

Or just don’t book the match in the first place if you are prepared to have Cage win.

Why not? It’s a match that a lot of people wanted to see. One loss doesn’t kill anyone and you can tell a lot of stories out of a loss like this

1 Like