Thunder Rosa reveals steady but slow progress in recovery, has no timeline for return

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/11/12/thunder-rosa-reveals-steady-but-slow-progress-in-recovery-has-no-timeline-for-return/

AEW Women’s Champion Thunder Rosa has given an update on her recovery from a lower back injury that has sidelined her since August.

Speaking on the Wrestling Perspective Podcast, which was posted on Friday, Rosa said that she had started jogging for the first time in three months but was not yet cleared to lift weights or train in the ring.

She noted that, although she was making progress, her medical advice had been to take things slowly, given the potential for reinjuring lower back injuries.

On the August 24th episode of Dynamite, Rosa explained that she was injured and needed to take time away to recover. Rather than be required to relinquish the AEW Women’s Championship, an interim title was created, which is currently held by Toni Storm.

On the podcast, Rosa said (transcription courtesy of Fightful):

This week, we made some good progress. I started running for the first time in almost 3 months. So, the physical activity is getting a little bit bigger and I’m allowed to do a lot more stuff than before. I’m not allowed to lift yet, I’m not allowed to do a lot of stuff. I’m not allowed to wrestle. But we’re making progress and the fact that I can actually jog for seven minutes on and off, for me, it’s huge because I have not been able to do that.

I have spoken to other patients that have had similar injuries…Everybody’s different, it’s hit and miss when you’re talking about lower back injuries, always. You have to be very careful because you can injure it again. You utilize your back for everything. 

We’re taking our time, and we’re taking all the measures that I need to take to stay safe…I don’t want to get a huge setback that is gonna take me from doing the basic stuff, cleaning my house, you know, taking care of like walking my dog, and all that stuff. Because you can really reinjure yourself. But I still don’t have like a set time yet, but again, I’m working really hard to get better, physically and mentally.

I’m really excited that I know when I come back, I’m gonna come back a lot stronger in many aspects than then when I left before.