TNT announces All Elite Wrestling will run weekly "later this year"

Omega is not yet a bigger draw than everybody in WWE, he isn’t a household name for a majority of casual fans. That said I don’t think AEW needs more big names . The product being successful is entirely dependent on them putting out consistently good stories and matches. I look forward to seeing how they do. Initially I think they will be much more of a competitor to NXT, than Say Raw

1 Like

The question we should realistically be considering is:“are they going to be more successful than RoH, Impact, or even NJPW?” Probably. Just based on that TV deal alone. Will they dethrone WWE? Not likely. I mean, it could be possible, but it would be a minor miracle

I also don’t think anybody is believing that within the next 10+ years they’ll even be in the same ballpark as WWE.

But, that’s not what it needs to be, to be successful. It just needs to be a true alternative product on a major platform, in North America, for both fans and workers. If it can be sustainable (and details of this tv deal put it already in the black on production costs), and stick to their business model and plans - then it has a very good shot at being a true number two product in this part of the world.

1 Like

Aren’t you the guy that had a boner when AEW was first announce and thought they would be competition for wwe right off the bat.

If you’re just going to make fun of certain people on the board for not thinking the same as you, please restrain from replying.

AEW as a perfect opportunity of taking the place of smackdown when it moves on friday. It would be the perfect day for them to start a show since monday won’t work and friday either. Wednesday is NXT night for some fans so you can’t go there and the rest of the week are proven as not the greatest for pro wrestling programming.

The fact AEW is a un proven company and outside of cody and jericho, they truly don’t have anybody that will attract the casual, so they need all the help they could get in getting fans that normally just watch wwe to watch their show and putting it in the timeslot that were smackdown us to be even if it’s on another network will help them as wrestling fans find wrestling.

In a way, i’m actually curious to see what will happen with this project when it starts playing on tv and were they will be in 5 years. Will they be in a position to compete with wwe or be just another IMPACT wrestling.

1 Like

Unproven? They’ve sold out 2 events without any TV. Just because you are not aware of the Lucha Bros, doesn’t meant no one else is.

1 Like

And just because you know who the Lucha Bros are…don’t assume other will too.

Because at the end of the day…this company is going to need those people who don’t already know who these guys are.

TNT will want this company to attract viewers who don’t know who the Lucha Bros are.

And proven is doing more than a few sell outs…that kind of basic thinking isnot the way this company should work.

This is chess not checkers…that’d be like DC going full universe mode before they even established!iahed their universe yet…and see how that turned out?

Keep Jamie Kellner far away from Turner Broadcasting this time

1 Like

Just wanted to post this in here. It’s a editiorial by tytler treese on the positive and negative of the TNT/AEW deal

It’s a very interesting editorial

www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/features/1091925-all-elite-wrestling-tnt-deal-breaking-down-the-positives-negatives

Ok I’ll restrain (?)

Great analysis. You really think they’d be worried about going on Wednesday against NXT? Apparently Tuesday is the day they’re aiming for anyways.

Yeah, other than two key guys the company is unproven. The guy who headlined the Tokyo Dome is unproven though.

They need more WWE guys, you know the company that draws 30,000 people for RAW.

In think most negativity of AEW and hoping for their failure is so that we can finally see these guys In WWE for some
Dream Matches instead of the same
MAtches they will do over and over again

To the average fans that AEW will need yeah they are because a average fans don’t know who Kenny Omega is, they don’t know who the young bucks are, they don’t know anybody on that roster except for Jericho and probably Cody and Dustin if he’s stays past Double or nothing. That’s who they need to convince to watch their product. They already have the hardcore fans that bitch about everything WWE does, They need to get those that haven’t watch wrestling in a while and that’S going to be hard when you don’t have anybody on the roster outside Jericho and cody to attract people to your show.

As far as you still harping on me for my attendance comment for raw. Just do a little research on some of the attendance figure for raw in the past year. For the most part they go between 20 and 30 thousand depending on the size of the building they are in. In montreal. They sold around the 22 thousand tickets for that raw in a building that can fit easily 25 thousand. So yeah, go do some research before making dumb comment like that one.

Totally disagree. These guys have moved the most merch of any wrestler the past few years. Hot Topic carries the shirts, they are not unknowns at all.

Again disagree. Everyone in WWE is overexposed. They have a few names and then completely new talent that is not worn down by WWE booking. I think it’s a good strategy.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

A lot of people knowing who you are and being a draw are not mutually exclusive.

TNA had over a million viewers on TV weekly during their peak, yet they couldn’t break 15,000 ppv buys (outside of Joe and Angle) and had to GIVE tickets away to live events and tv tapings.

AEW has sold out two events with way less exposure on NJPW, ROH, and a YouTube channel (not to mention all the merch they sell - half a million shirts sold at Hot Topic alone).

Obviously having a weekly television product is different, but anyone saying they’re “unproven” given their successful track record so far is just grasping way too hard to be negative.

2 Likes

Here are some attendance numbers from the last few years - http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2018/10/wwe-attendance-q1-2016-q3-2018.html

Where all those 30,000 draws? What about the 20,000 ones?

Hell they rarely even draw 10,000.

So please shut up.

3 Likes

thanks for proving me wrong, now we can actually move on and discuss about the topic at end that is AEW.

If you want to read a interesting editorial that pretty much explain the situation that AEW is facing in a way better way that i could ever explain it go read the Tyler treese editorial that i posted in this very thread.

Just in case you don’t want to scroll through the thread, here the link:
www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/features/1091925-all-elite-wrestling-tnt-deal-breaking-down-the-positives-negative

Move on? Good luck with that, he’ll just bring it up anytime you post after this.

1 Like

i know but i’m still hoping

1 Like

As for that article -

My understanding is the NBA Tuesday games are mostly “Players Only”, which haven’t been a huge success. TNT runs the majority of its basketball on Thursdays. They could always run a shorter TV on some of those Tuesdays, or if they have an off-season maybe that’s not an issue. I dont think the day really matters all that much.

No rights fees isn’t surprising for a new sports property. It’s the same deal XFL got. If they do well then I’m sure that will be changed for the next deal.

I do agree about the PPV price though. If they’re going to stick with that price point they should only have four shows MAX and they have to be built up incredibly well. I don’t think PPV is dead at all, but you have to give people a reason to want to pay.

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see PPV numbers if they ever get out. I think there’s a lot of people who are dead set against paying 45 bucks until the day of the show when they click the order button.

I’ll be ordering the first show, just because it is the first show, but if this price continues, I won’t do it. $30 I can see and can accept, but $50 in 2019 is too much for a wrestling ppv.