TNT Championship Match between Darby Allin and Jungle Boy added to Dynamite

Originally published at TNT Championship Match added to AEW Dynamite this week

AEW has added a TNT Championship match for this Wednesday’s live edition of Dynamite from Daily’s Place in Jacksonville, Florida.

TNT Champion Darby Allin is set to defend the championship against Jungle Boy with the match announced on social media Friday evening.

Allin headlined this past Wednesday’s edition of Dynamite in a Falls Count Anywhere Match with Matt Hardy for the championship. The show averaged 1,219,000 viewers and a 0.44 in the 18-49 demographic. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported that the peak for the 18-49 demo was during the main event match.

Below is the updated list of matches for Wednesday’s show on TNT:
*TNT Championship: Darby Allin (champion) vs. Jungle Boy
*AEW Women’s Championship: Hikaru Shida (champion) vs. Tay Conti
*Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Christian Cage
*Ricky Starks vs. Hangman Page
*Trent vs. Penta El Zero Miedo

Whoa! This is huge. And without any build up? I would wait to do this one and actually build it properly. I was thinking that they will go with Miro getting the title off Darby, which always can still happen, but giving this specific match away like that? I am baffled.

Weird…this is very WWE like.

He answered the open challenge guys. Anyone can accept it. Just like a jobber like JD Drake can, Jungle Boy can too.

Seriously though, I would have preferred more build to this too, but I can see why they want to get a match like this out there, to capitalize on last weeks ratings.

I’m pretty sure I don’t like this explanation. Capitalizing on the ratings from this week is a better one, but still looks more like a hot shot than anything else.

I think after this match, there could be a slight way the TNT title gets defended. I think on week one you take two people who have been doing well to be in a match where the winner would get a shot at the champion the next week. By doing this, you can showcase whoever your #1 contender would be for a week, and allow you to hype the title match a week later.

I will watch Hikaru vs Tay definitely. Just a shame that Hikaru has had zero character development after all this time with the belt.

1 Like

Loving the Darby defenses, as the fighting face Champion, while heel Omega is doing something different.

Loved when Cody was doing the weekly open challenges, and I think Darby has had some awesome ones.

My guess is Miro will be guy to take it from him.

Feels true about a lot of their champions (all of the women’s champions, most of the tag champs)