Tony Khan says he always had the idea in mind for CM Punk's first title shot to take place at AEW Double or Nothing

Originally published at Tony Khan says he always had the idea in mind for CM Punk's first title shot to take place at AEW Double or Nothing

Prior to CM Punk’s title win, Tony Khan made the media rounds to promote Double or Nothing.

The conclusion of AEW’s Double or Nothing pay-per-view saw CM Punk holding the AEW World Title as he defeated Hangman Adam Page to become champion. Going into the pay-per-view, members of AEW made the media rounds to hype the event and company President Tony Khan sat down with Andreas Hale on The Corner Podcast.

As their conversation progressed, Khan was asked was the plan to always have CM Punk get a title opportunity at Double or Nothing in Vegas and here was his response:

Well, yeah . I thought it would be the perfect timing to have a world title match and have him get his first chance at the title because he had been, upon arrival, saying that he wanted to come in, he wanted to prove himself, he wanted to get back into pro wrestling, fight the young wrestlers he hasn’t fought and then along the way, there were veterans who challenged him and I thought some veterans who deserve more respect.

Cody Rhodes is now several months into his run with WWE and this weekend, he’ll be in action against Seth Rollins when they meet inside Hell in a Cell. Khan stated that he has seen what Cody has done in WWE and thinks he’s doing great.

It was asked of Tony if he ever tuned into WWE to see Cody and had the thought that-that is where Cody belongs and expressed that he has never said or thought that.

I don’t say that at all . I love Cody and I love working with him and I think he’s a great wrestler and when I watch it, I think, as I do with a lot of great wrestlers when I watch them in other promotions, I think a lot of the stuff he’s doing is great and I, in general, just pay attention to a lot of the wrestling outside of AEW too.

AEW made their California debut on June 1st and to get a recap of the show, check out the latest episode of Rewind-A-Dynamite with John Pollock and Wai Ting.

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit The Corner Podcast with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.