Triller Fight Club Report: Jake Paul stops Ben Askren in the first round

Batista did at least one MMA fight that I know he won, but I have no idea what his background was.

Same as him. Zero experience.

Great point; I was thinking the cost of production for the TV products probably make the revenue off-set by the expenses so it was a reasonable enough comp to throw out round, estimated #s.

Regardless, the concept seems extremely of the time: nastalgia acts, entertainers with social media reach, influencers with social media reach, a price point that isn’t laughable (somewhere between live event pricing + streaming). It’s fascinating during a period where everyone is trying to understand how to monetize really siloed audiences (i.e. what do you think the crossover is between Bieber fans, Jake Paul fans, and Snoop Dogg fans). This is actually in concept everything WWE wants to be as Sport Entertainment.

Yeah it’s meme-able and that equals money.

Yeah he did one fight had no expletive but did spend time training specifically for MMA as opposed to most MMA fighters going into boxing.

Triller is basically doing the opposite of what typical boxing or even UFC ppv events are doing. They are being different.

Its kind of similar to what Bischoff did with WCW in the mid 90s. Bischoff did everything he could to make his PPVs different from WWE and old NWA. Which became a successful strategy but it also became stale after a while.

Triller is still new so they are currently doing well. We’ll see how long before the novelty wears off.

MMA fighters are taking the time to train when they go into boxing.

The problem is they keep challenging the top boxers right off the bat. There are levels to this. You can’t just jump into a different sport and expect to beat the best right away.

Batista won his fight because he fought someone at his level. Had he took on someone like Randy Couture he would have gotten owned like Punk did.

I don’t think they focus near as much on straight boxing though, they tend to study striking as part of their MMA training and while they may focus on boxing heading into the fight it is much different than a pro-wrestler training to do MMA by studying MMA. There are a lot of habits you form in any discipline of fighting and unlearning them to be effective under different rules is very difficult. I mean we are coming off Askren losing to Jake Paul not a top boxer.

Come on now. If they are training for a boxing fight. They are going to focus on boxing. They are not dumb and their trainers are not dumb.

Just because you focus more on it in training doesn’t mean you’re just going to be good at it. Boxers start training when they are teenagers because it takes a heck if a long time ti be half way decent at it.

You’re ignoring several factors about that.

1. Ben Askren has been retired for a year and half.

2. He had hip replacement surgery which forced his retirement in the first place.

3. The fight was contested at a 191 pounds. Ben Askren when he fought in MMA regularly fought in the 150 to 170 lb area. Jake Paul always fights at 190lbs. So basically Ben Askren fought a guy that is normally 20lbs heavier than him making him the much smaller man. It would be like him fighting Jon Jones.

Take these what you will. But I don’t think its as simple as you are making it out to be. Considering Askren had a lot of things to overcome coming into the fight.

Believe this is the key point in all of this. At some point they’re gonna need to be more than a freak show. Though this is a good head start to buy them time until they figure out a few more gimmicks.

1 Like

Maybe not though; a good musical performance, a good build, some interesting freak-show style things like Snoop on commentary and limited shows per year can keep it a novelty. If the money is there, celebrities will come. If celebrities come, fanbases may follow. In the influencer era this seems more repeatable than in the past.

The Askren thing was to point out that they aren’t always fighting too guys. Further yes they work at it, but MMA functions with specific rules and you learn habits based around those rules. It is harder to unlearn those habits than to start from scratch. Or course they focus on boxing but chances are most still also work on other MMA training as well as that is their main source of income/employment. So not only are they behind Boxers in years of training but they need to change how they strike from an MMA style. Similarly it would be difficult for a boxer to translate to MMA without a lot of work, more than a single training camp for instance. Which is likely the length of boxing focus for MMA fighters facing boxers

Well aware of that. Kimbo Slice was 7-0 in boxing. Since he actually fought guys who were on the same level as him. So MMA fighters can do well but they need be realistic.

Yes if they fight boxers with the same level of boxing training that they have, but those are generally not people fighting at the same level in their respective sport, and if we went by that measure Pro-wrestlers on whole would still have transitioned much better to MMA than MMA fighters have to boxing. That said very few MMA guys have done it as a career change like the pro wrestlers have.