Tyson Fight /Jake Paul

Anyone see this?

I felt bad for the guy who lost to Jake. But at the same time, the guy is 36 and this was his first fight. Looks to me like they wanted Jake to get the win.

At least Nate will always have this…

1 Like

Nate Robinson had less business being in the ring than Shaq had at the 3 line.

1 Like

Just running at the guy head first … clinch! lol

Lol Robinson wanted the payday and he got his money’s worth. Shockingly this was less of a farce than the Tyson fiasco.

Meh don’t understand how the Tyson/Jones fight is considered a farce.

It was basically the equivalent of Ken Shamrock vs Royce Gracie that Bellator did a few years back.

If MMA can have a Senior Division then so can Boxing.

Oh and to add deeper context to it.

Apparently the PPV did over 1 million PPV buys.

So a 54 year old Mike Tyson just outdrew AEW and WWE by a wide margin. Wow thats amazing.

Id think some of that was some curiousity over Jake Paul. He’s going to make a shit load for the next fight.

What curiosity? People has seen him fight already. They knew what they were going get. A crappy boxing fight that makes The WWE Brawl for All fights look like Pros in comparison. Not saying he didn’t help draw. He has his followers no doubt.

But If anyone attracted curiosity its Tyson who hasn’t fought in so long and people wandering how he performs at 54.

For the people with (traditionally) the most disposal income — ages 35-55 or so — Tyson was their guy. Older people were in the Ali/Frazier era and younger people are probably more likely to know Tyson from “The Hangover” than as one of the most dominant heavyweights of all-time.

So despite being way past his prime as a fighter, he’s in a weird “sweet spot” as an attraction because of who is in the demographic that still wants to see him fight.

I mean he’s Mike Tyson and it’s boxing. You can’t compare against wrestling it’s a bit of a different audience.

For instance for guys my age Tyson was the guy growing up. Lots of my non combat sports friends ordered this bc they remember the old Tyson. Absolutely none had any idea what AEW is and believe that WWE is still Steve Austin and the Rock

At least Jake Paul and Nate Robinson felt like a real athletic competition between two guys who both wanted to win. Tyson/Jones was just a showcase of two guys trying not to hurt each other as an audition for a potentially bigger payday down the road. It was like I was watching one of Tyson’s recent workout/sparring videos on twitter where the whole draw is just supposed to be “oh my god it’s Mike Tyson and he looks jacked!”

I don’t mind watching that kind of thing on Twitter for free, but attaching a price tag to it and pretending like this is some sort of comeback attempt for either guy is where it feels farcical to me. As soon as I heard one of the rules was “no knockouts” I knew it was going to be a joke. The ref can’t actually enforce such a rule so it’s clear they had a gentlemen’s agreement to go easy on each other and in the end they’ll both come out clean with the Draw.

It reminds me a lot of when the other Paul brother boxed KSI a couple years ago. Felt like the whole thing was a publicity stunt and they just took the automatic Draw to set something up for down the line. And it was rightly considered to be a farce.

Reminds me kind of that boring Mayweather / Pacquiao fight where they were both making so much money that neither tried and then they laughed at the end.

Lol real athletic competition? You can clearly see both had zero skills as boxers. Paul won because he had at least had been training for a while. And Nate looked like he only took up boxing yesterday. It was a freakshow fight. Nothing more. Yeah some people enjoy those kinds of things. But calling it a real athletic competition is a joke.

Well first off. They did say it was an “Exhibition”. So if you were expecting a real official boxing fight. You should have read the fine print. Second both guys were in there 50s. Third both men were coming off long layoffs especially Tyson. Fourth it was not a comeback it was Boxing possibly starting a Senior League for older fighters who still want to box. Just like MMA have. I highly doubt both men will be fighting Tyson Fury anytime soon. You should have done your research. Instead of assuming that this was some type of fight of the year between two boxers in their prime.

I enjoyed the fight for what it was as a boxing fan. Both men came in good shape. They took it seriously and still showed the skills that made them great fighters. Yeah their athleticism looked completely diminished. But thats like complaining why Ric Flair didn’t move like he used to in his later WWE career. Its just reality.

1 Like

Lol Pacquiao tried. He was just schooled by the better fighter. Watch any Mayweather fight he practically did the same to most everyone he fought including the current biggest star in boxing right now Canelo Alvarez.