UFC 226 Report feat. Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier for the UFC heavyweight title

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/07/07/ufc-226-report-feat-stipe-miocic-vs-daniel-cormier-for-the-ufc-heavyweight-title/

Welcome to our coverage of the UFC 226 pay-per-view from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

I will be covering the card throughout the night and will have a post-show on the site later tonight with Phil Chertok for an extensive review of UFC 226.

JAMIE MOYLE (4-2) VS EMILY WHITMIRE (2-2) - STRAWWEIGHT

The first round was a tentative one. Whitmire maintained her stance and was conservative but efficient. She would enter with a combination and then step back to reset. Near the end of the round, she landed a leg kick. 10-9 Whitmire.

Moyleā€™s corner suggested taking Whitmire to the ground, but her efforts were blocked. Moyle had a better round through leg kicks and landing body shots. Whitmire wasnā€™t landing at the same rate as she did in the first round and was pressured by Moyle. 10-9 Moyle.

The third round was Whitmireā€™s round as she got the takedown early and controlled Moyle from half-guard. Whitmire landed strikes on top and Moyle had no answer to escape the position. 10-9 Whitmire and 29-28 on my scorecard.

WINNER: EMILY WHITMIRE BY UNANIMOUS DECISION (29-28 all)

After the fight, Whitmire exchanged words with Vinny Magalhaes, who was in Moyleā€™s corner. Whitmire told Joe Rogan that Magalhaes had repeatedly told Whitmire he wouldnā€™t corner against her, she arrived at the arena today and saw Magalhaes was cornering Moyle and that he ā€œcan go f**k himselfā€.

GILBERT BURNS (13-2) VS DAN HOOKER (16-7) ā€“ LIGHTWEIGHT

After eating a big right hand early, Hooker came back and dropped Burns with a counter right hand that landed flush. Burns recovered and got to his feet, where he ate a big knee and Hooker ended the fight with a left hook to the body and follow up left hook to the head as Burns went down and it was over.

WINNER: DAN HOOKER BY KO AT 2:28 OF ROUND 1

This was Hookerā€™s fourth straight win in a row and is primed for a big fight in his next one.

MAX GRIFFIN (13-3) VS CURTIS MILLENDER (15-3) ā€“ WELTERWEIGHT

Griffin started the fight by throwing a lot of shots. Millender attempted a number of flying knees and mixed with leg kicks. Griffin got the takedown against the cage and controlled the rest of the round with pressure on top in half-guard. 10-9 Griffin.

Millender rebounded in the second round with the difference maker being his body shots. Millender was connecting with knees to the body to compliment a thunderous kick that Griffin absorbed. Millender landed another knee to the body near the end of the round and scored a takedown. Griffin landed some big shots in the round but this was a clear round for Millender. 10-9 Millender.

It was a close third round until the final 90 seconds when Millender turned up the volume. Millender connected, placing Griffin up against the fence as Millender started throwing a lot. Millender rocked him with a big knee to the head and did enough the clinch the fight. 10-9 Millender and 29-28 overall.

WINNER: CURTIS MILLENDER BY UNANIMOUS DECISION (29-28 all)

Millender paced himself well and was selective with his bursts of offense. The highlights were his body work and ability to throw his knees with relative ease and found a lot of success with the body and head being targeted.

[wp_ad_camp_1]

DRAKKAR KLOSE (8-1-1) VS LANDO VANNATA (9-2-1) ā€“ LIGHTWEIGHT

Klose had a very effective game plan throughout the first round consisting of calf kicks and constant pressure that caused problems for Vannata. At one point, Vannata went for a spinning elbow and the opening allowed Klose to connect with a right hand and reverted back to the calf kicks. 10-9 Klose.

Klose had another strong round in the second, slicing open Vannata with an elbow near the right eye. Klose kept on the lead leg with low kicks, forcing Vannata to switch stances. Vannata attempted another spinning back fist and ate another right for his efforts. 10-9 Klose.

The third round was closer as Vannata landed some spin kicks at the start and even got a takedown late in the fight, took the back of Klose but was too high and gave it up. Klose targeted the lead leg further, even pointing to it to get inside Vannataā€™s head. Klose landed with a superman punch with the right-hand landing flush. 10-9 Klose.

WINNER: DRAKKAR KLOSE BY UNANIMOUS DECISION (30-27 all)

RAPHAEL ASSUNCAO (26-5) VS ROB FONT (15-3) ā€“ BANTAMWEIGHT

The first round was very close. Font was busier and landed a nice hook to the body, but the big moment of the round saw Assuncao land a counter combination and drop Font. Font did get back to his feet quickly but it was the difference-maker for Assuncao in the round. 10-9 Assuncao.

Assuncao immediately scored the takedown at the start of the second round. He worked in half-guard and landed strikes before Font was able to scramble to a better position and eventually get to his feet. Assuncao was judicious with his strikes standing but landed one combination of note. 10-9 Assuncao.

In the third round, after recovering from an eye poke, Font was taken down and Assuncao moved into side control and attempted to finish with a submission but never came close. 10-9 Assuncao and 30-27 on my card.

WINNER: RAPHAEL ASSUNCAO BY UNANIMOUS DECISION (30-27 all)

Assuncao has now won four straight and he should be getting a title fight, but he isnā€™t a personality that sticks out and itā€™s going to be the longest road for any challenger to get a shot. In his post-fight interview, he asked ā€œwhat do I have to do?ā€ and asked if he needs to curse and was about to cry. He acknowledged he isnā€™t finishing people, but he is winning fights.

PAULO COSTA (11-0) VS URIAH HALL (13-8) ā€“ MIDDLEWEIGHT

The first round was all over the place. Costa was pressuring early with kicks to the body until Hall found the rhythm with his jab and started picking Costa apart with it repeatedly. There were two times outs during the round with Costa hitting Hall low and leaving the audience restless by the second foul. Costa had his most success pressing Hall against the cage and landing some big strikes to the body and throwing with all his power. It was a close round as Hall landed more but Costa had the most effective strikes. 10-9 Costa.

Costa came out in the second round and connected with a right, leading to Hall taking him down and Costa popping right up. Costa tagged him with a right and stunned Hall, he swarmed Hall, followed with a big jab and Hall tried to regroup. The two threw big strikes, Costa dropped Hall and it was over.

WINNER: PAULO COSTA BY KO AT 2:38 OF ROUND 2

KHALIL ROUNTREE JR. VS GOKHAN SAKI (1-1) ā€“ LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT

Rountree began standing in the pocket with Saki and wasnā€™t retreating. Rountree blasted Saki with a left hand and dropped Saki, he finished him with hammer fists for the stunning knockout.

WINNER: KHALIL ROUNTREE JR. BY KO AT 1:36 OF ROUND 1

MICHAEL CHIESA (14-3) VS ANTHONY PETTIS (20-7) ā€“ LIGHTWEIGHT

The first round saw Chiesa score a number of takedowns, but Pettis landed the better strikes throughout the round. He caught the leg of Chiesa, placed him on his back and dropped a pair of right hands. Chiesa probably edged the round but was close.

In the second, Pettis connected with a right hand and dropped Chiesa. He attempted a guillotine unsuccessfully and readjusted off his back with a tight triangle-armbar and Chiesa tapped.

WINNER: ANTHONY PETTIS BY TRIANGLE ARMBAR AT 0:52 OF ROUND 2

This was a huge victory for Pettis, who has had a rough run since losing the lightweight title in 2015. To submit someone the level of Chiesa was impressive.

PAUL FELDER (15-3) VS MIKE PERRY (11-3) ā€“ WELTERWEIGHT

They immediately cracked heads and both were cut. Perry landed a blistering elbow strike against the cage. Felder settled into the round with the use of calf kicks and connecting with right hands. It was a hard round to score as Perry did more damage, although Felder was busier throughout the round. 10-9 Perry.

At the start of Round 2, Perry lifted and slammed Felder and connects with a series of elbows standing. Perry put everything into a left hook that cut open Felder above the left eye. Perry executed a German suplex to take him down, when they got up they traded elbows. 10-9 Perry.

Felder told his corner that he has a broken arm.

The third round saw Perry connect with a series of big shows. It was amazing that Felder continued throwing and standing with Perry despite his arm. Perry definitely won the round but Felder showed an incredible toughness. 10-9 Perry.

WINNER: MIKE PERRY BY SPLIT DECISION (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)

[wp_ad_camp_2]

DERRICK LEWIS (19-5) VS FRANCIS NGANNOU (11-2) ā€“ HEAVYWEIGHT

The first round was extremely uneventful. Lewis won by the round by default as Ngannou landed one strike in the entire round. It appeared to be a strategic measure of Ngannou preserving his conditioning. 10-9 Lewis.

The second round saw nothing happen. This is one of the worst heavyweight fights ever. It is the rare round that could go 10-10. Lewis landed a body kick and that may have won him the round.

The third round continued with the same pace. Ngannou threw a left near the end and met with some knees from Lewis. 10-9 Lewis.

Horrendous, one of the worst fights you will ever see.

WINNER: DERRICK LEWIS BY UNANIMOUS DECISION (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)

[wp_ad_camp_3]

Brock Lesnar arrived in the arena prior to the main event.

STIPE MIOCIC (18-2) VS DANIEL CORMIER (20-1) FOR THE UFC HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

The fight began with Miocic outstriking him and clinching Cormier, mixing in strikes against the fence.

Cormier fired back with a combination and then blatantly ran his fingers into Miocicā€™s face and poked his eye.

The fight resumed, they clinched in the middle and Cormier rocked him with a huge right hand, dropped Miocic and finished with ground and pound to win the title.

WINNER: DANIEL CORMIER BY KO AT 4:33 OF ROUND 1

2 Likes

This sounds as if Cormier cheated to get an advantage and won shortly after. And with Brock showing up this comes across as a big wrestling angle with the wrestling fan in Cormier. I didnā€™t see it live so I look forward to a rundown on the podcast. Interesting results to say the least.

On the replay it is also clear that Stipe was poked in the eyes again on that fight ending clinch. Really soured the moment for me. Stipe got screwed tonight.

Lol at Cormier record being 1 loss when heā€™s lost to Jones multiple times (I think?). Heā€™s been a clown to me since he shot off at the Bucks on Twitter for no reason except increase his notoriety. Now doing a total WWE angle with Brock. Feel like that fix was in from the start to get to that match.

All in all a hell of a card.

• Daniel Cormier. Heavyweight champion of the world. Itā€™s pretty inspirational that July of last year he was at the lowest point in his career, and here he is a year later, a two division champion.

• that being said, Stipe Miocic deserves a lot better then he got tonight. Poked in the eye twice, one going unnoticed seconds before the finished, and then getting called a piece of shit by the suspended Brock Lesnar after words. Heā€™s a great person and the greatest heavyweight champion in UFC history. I felt kind of sick afterwords, because he really got screwed.

• Paula Costa is a killer. Definitely does not pass the eye test but thatā€™s baseless speculation. Il be very excited to see him fight again.

• Lewis vs Ngannou was amongst the worst fights Iā€™ve ever seen. By far. I wonā€™t hold it against either of them, as each is normally very exciting, but this fight was horrible.

• Cheisa getting finished immediately after taunting (and missing weight) felt good. The good guys seem to be picking up a lot of Lā€™s in the mma world, so it feels like we got some justice here.

So a very fun card, but I can help feeling a bit sick at the way the main event went. I hope more people see that second eye poke before the finish, because while I love Daniel Cormier, he deserves as much criticism as Jon Jones or Alexander Gustafsson would get in this situation.

1 Like

DC couldnā€™t beat a cheater. And got his title back. Cheated to beat Stipe. And now running a wrestling angle in UFC with another known cheater. The dude is as carny as it gets for me.

I like DC, but Iā€™m pretty upset about how those eye pokes are getting almost no coverage right now, especially the second rake before the finish that most people seemed to miss. I only saw it myself afterwords when someone posted it on Reddit, but it happened. I hope John talks about it in the postfight show because Iā€™m (perhaps unreasonably) upset right now.

No coverage because most of MMA media is in the bag for UFC and this fight felt fixed as soon as the entire angle started with Lesner afterall. Is Stipe shooting a WWE style post fight angle? Seemed like this was all to get Cormier into that moment at the end. Iā€™m donā€™t thinking UFC is any level above WWE in terms of booking integrity. They need to be in the business of making money so I donā€™t blame them but as a tangental follower it just alll feels very pro wrestling to me

Oh I guarantee they told Stipe to say the same things Cormier did if he won. I think thereā€™s about a 0 percent chance the fight itself was fixed if thatā€™s what youā€™re implying, (business and financial reasons against fixing fights aside, Stipe Miocic would never take a dive) but the post fight was definitely all show. You can see how happy DC was just to be in there with Brock, probably saw a big money sign tattooed on Brocks forehead. You know USADA is just waiting outside for a piss sample from Brock tho haha, I doubt the fight will even happen.

1 Like

Not fixed outright but definitely loose with rules if it meant getting their preferred guy on the mic in the position to promote with Brock in a more sports entertainment fashion. Letā€™s just say UFC isnā€™t bummed itā€™s DC not Stipe in the spot now. The irony of DC being scorned by Jones multiple times and now going into a program with another known substance user. Itā€™s like he lost his innocence/integrity and said fā€™ it gimme the money.

Well the UFC might not be bummed about the outcome, but I sure am. I hope Stipeā€™s next fight is for the heavyweight title, no matter when or who itā€™s against. Iā€™m repeating myself but he deserved a lot better then what went down tonight.

1 Like

I am with you on that sentiment

1 Like

Damn you Gokhan Sakiā€¦

1 Like

I loved the post fight! I think DC is way more imposing as a heavyweight. I think 3/4 of the time stipe wins but wasnā€™t his night.

That line about get out of my octagon reminded me of shawn michaels saying get out of my ring to bret at mania 12. The most hyped ive been in ages after that show!

2 Likes

This is humorous to me.
First of all - DC is correct
The funny part is DC has killed Indy wrestling for being ā€œfakeā€ which Iā€™ve always said was just him jumping on the back of over guys who can help his visibility. I want to like DC but until he stops being a wanna be and goes all in on being Schlick I continue to root against him.

DC called it weakā€¦not fake.

And he was just talking about Youngbucks shit.

And he doesnā€™t need to piggyback off guys he has drawn more than.