UFC 227 Review with John Pollock, Phil Chertok & Ziggy Cao

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/08/05/ufc-227-review-with-john-pollock-phil-chertok-ziggy-cao/

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

John Pollock is joined by Phil Chertok & Ziggy Cao for a big review of Saturday’s UFC 227 card from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

The three chat about the successful title defense by T.J. Dillashaw, earning his second victory over Cody Garbrandt and doing so even quicker than their first fight last November at UFC 217. What is next for Dillashaw at the bantamweight division and is a fight with the new flyweight champion of interest?

The 2,142-day title reign of Demetrious Johnson is over as Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo took a razor-close split decision and became the first fighter to ever beat Johnson at flyweight and become the second UFC flyweight champion in history.

Plus, a review of the entire UFC 227 card, a discussion on the announcement that Khabib Nurmagomedov will fight Conor McGregor in October and next month’s UFC 228 card from Dallas featuring two title fights.

MAIN CARD
*TJ Dillashaw vs. Cody Garbrandt – UFC bantamweight title
*Demetrious Johnson vs. Henry Cejudo – UFC flyweight title
*Thiago Santos vs. Kevin Holland
*JJ Aldrich vs. Polyana Viana
*Cub Swanson vs. Renato Moicano

PRELIMINARY FIGHTS
*Pedro Munhoz vs. Brett Johns
*Montel Jackson vs. Ricky Simon
*Ricardo Ramos vs. Kyung Ko Kang
*Sheymon Moraes vs. Matt Sayles

FIGHT PASS CARD
*Jose Torres vs. Alex Perez
*Zhang Weili vs. Danielle Taylor
*Marlon Vera vs. Wuliji Buren

Subscribe to POST Wrestling
iTunes & iOS | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss this show at the POST Wrestling Forum
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support our Patreon - The POST Wrestling Café
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Follow us
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

1 Like

Bare with me here, I have enough to say about this card to write a short novel.

• TJ Dillashaw definitely put the rivalry with Cody to rest. I think we really saw the difference between the fighters last night, with TJ improving and fixing some apparent flaws in his game from the last fight, while Cody made the same mistakes. Calling TJ the greatest bantamweight of all time is a bit ridiculous in my opinion given the run Dominick Cruz had, but he is definitely gaining ground in the conversation. Also, poor Renan Barao. 31 wins in a row, and completely forgotten about.

• I scored the DJ/Cejudo fight the same as John, but I’ll admit that Phil and Ziggy may have swayed my opinion. The trilogy fight is the only thing that makes sense, and if anybody not named Demetrious Johnson is fighting for the flyweight title next, the UFC should be ashamed of themselves.

• Cub Swanson and gatekeeping may just be the most iconic duo in MMA. Unfortunate as he has always been one of my favorite fighters. Moicano is legit. I could see him being champion one day, but now that he’s (presumably) made his way into the top of the division, there are no wasy fights. Holloway, Ortega, Aldo, Edgar, Mendes. That might be the strongest top 5 in mma history.

• Alex Perez was amazing. It’s too bad that fight was buried on the prelims because this performance deserved eyes.

• John was right on point talking about the bias in the commentary. Unfortunately this is a pretty common trend with Joe Rogan. Once he has a narrative in his mind, he has trouble seeing anything but that. DC and Dan Hardy also fall victim to this to lesser extents.

• Also agreed on the “superfight” gimmick. It’s tired. There are too many contenders in both divisions to be entertaining that nonsense.

Next up is Gaethje vs Vick, so in all likelihood we’re in for another treat soon. Once again thank you for the continued MMA coverage John.