UFC 246: Conor McGregor stops Donald Cerrone in 40 seconds

BMF title was pretty cool but Jorge has it. Would love to see it defended against Conor

I believe Masvidal is the only fighter currently in the top 5 that Usman has yet to beat, so that is certainly the fight that makes the most sense for him. That seems to be the direction the UFC is leaning as well.

Love that UFC and Connor keeps touting Pacquiao as a possible opponent.

When in reality the weight kills any chance of the fight happening. Unless either man makes concessions on the weight. Pacquiao has never fought over 140lbs and I doubt McGregor is going to kill himself to make 140lbs at this stage of his career.

Also Pacquiao hasnā€™t been a big draw like he was at his peak. His last few fights have barely crack 400,000 PPV buys. So I donā€™t get that heā€™s being considered.

The one guy McGregor and UFC has not mentioned in boxing is Canelo Alvarez. Which I find odd since Canelo is the biggest active draw in boxing right now. Aside from Mayweather, Canelo can get Conor the money he wants. Maybe even more than Mayweather would.

Then again I can see why McGregor and UFC are avoiding mentioning Canelo. First heā€™s not in his 40s, he is either the same weight or bigger than Mcgregor, and lastly he clearly has the punching power to separate Conors head from his body.

Canelo sounds like heā€™s a bigger diva than McGregor.

Regarding all this talk regarding him facing top pro boxers, I just wish that some person from an athletic commission would say that itā€™s a complete mismatch and wonā€™t be sanctioned.

It wonā€™t happen though

Meh if CM Punk was allowed to fight in the UFC. Despite being a walking mismatch against the entire UFC roster including the Women. Then this shouldnā€™t be problem.

Maybe when Caneloā€™s done with being a serious boxer heā€™ll go for these meaningless, showbiz match ups.

Or Colby rematch

As great as the fight was, Iā€™m not a fan of an immediate rematch following a finish. Assuming Colby will be out until around international fight week at the earliest, I would like to see him fight Tyron Woodley (win or lose against Edwards). Woodley is getting up there in age, they should do that fight while heā€™s still fighting at an elite level.

Stephen Thompson could probably worm his way back into contention with a couple more wins as well, which would be a fascinating stylistic matchup against Usman, but for now, thatā€™s a far off possibility.

1 Like

I completely agree. I remember UFC 1 being hyped up like someone was going to die. I got suckered and bought the PPV, invited friends over, bought beer and food and hunkered in to watch what was decried as ā€œhuman cock fightingā€ by the sports and main stream press.

95% of the show was two guys in shorts hugging each other. Never bought another one. Iā€™ve watched other events since at the invite of friends and usually have to be woken up for the main event.

I canā€™t pound the skip button fast enough when the wrestling podcasts drift into MMA coverage.

1 Like

Come on man. Canelo would probably rake in between 100 to 200 million dollars for the fight alone. For a fight he is sure to win easily I might add.

No chance in hell he says no to that.

I think MMA is a lot like Boxing or Baseball. Sometimes things can be exciting when guys slug it out, or there is a fast finish. But most of the time unless you appreciate the finer details of technique it can get real boring real fast. Guys are thinking about 2 things: winning and not getting seriously hurt in the process. This means they donā€™t just go out and trade shots and take risks for the most part. It is one of my issues with people that complain about people wanting pro-wrestling to seem ā€œrealā€ or sports like by saying if you want that go watch UFC. I always think ā€œno I want them to do crazy off the wall stuff that people would never do in a real fight, but make me believe it is a real fight.ā€

Just a side note:

Iā€™d like to maintain threads like this as a space for MMA fans to actively engage in discussion about it.

We all have varying tastes when it comes to combat sports, and just as I wouldnā€™t want non-wrestling fans to go into an WWE/AEW/NJPW thread to announce why they find it fake or intolerable, I donā€™t want to see the same here when thereā€™s clearly passionate discussion going on between fans.

If someone wants to entertain another discussion about MMA as a whole, just start a new thread.

Iā€™ll be removing further posts unrelated to the original topic and encourage the other mods to do the same.

5 Likes

Thanks @wai0937

Lots of options for UFC. I am sure they want Conor in a big time fight and Khabib would be huge money but he probably loses. He also probably doesnā€™t beat Usman or Colby either.

If MMA did three ways then you could have done Conor vs Jorge vs Nate lol. I do think the triology with Nate is there if Nate gets a win and wants it.

So I think Jorge makes a lot of sense. Heā€™s beatable by Conor and if Conor wins and then Nate gets a win you can see them having a BMF title match which would be massive. Probably bigger than Khabib vs Conor 2

People are sleeping on Wonderboy, he definitely could make a run. He was winning the Pettis fight until he misjudged the distance and with his style thatā€™s a fatal mistake.

1 Like

He matches up well with a lot of the top five in my opinion. Weā€™ve already seen him handle Masvidal. Not sure what the odds are on him getting one of those top five guys in his next fight though. Possibly RDA, assuming he beats Chiesa on Saturday.

Does anyone remember Santiago Ponzinibbio? Guess not lol

I have no idea whatā€™s next for him. He was removed from the rankings in December, and has only had one fight since 2017. I was looking forward to the originally scheduled Robbie Lawler right at UFC 245. Wouldnā€™t mind if they tried to put that one together again.