UFC 257 POST Show: Poirier vs. McGregor 2

Originally published at UFC 257 POST Show: Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor 2

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

John Pollock and Phil Chertok are back with the UFC 257 POST Show to review the big return of Conor McGregor as he fought Dustin Poirier in their rematch, plus the UFC debut of Michael Chandler against Dan Hooker and all the news coming out of the event.

MAIN CARD
*Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor
*Michael Chandler vs. Dan Hooker
*Jessica Eye vs. Joanne Calderwood
*Andrew Sanchez vs. Makhmud Muradov
*Amanda Ribas vs. Marina Rodriguez

PRELIMINARY CARD
*Matt Frevola vs. Armen Tsarukyan
*Brad Tavares vs. Antonio Carlos Junior
*Sara McMann vs. Julianna Pena
*Khalil Rountree, Jr. vs. Marcin Prachnio

EARLY PRELIMS
*Nik Lentz vs. Movsar Evloev
*Amir Albazi vs. Zhalgas Zhumagulov

Fight of the Night: Casey Kenney vs. Nathaniel Wood
Performance of the Night: Khabib Nurmagomedov & Magomed Ankalaev

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support us on Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café: http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

T-Shirts & Hats: https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

On the Conor boxing PPVs…I think the options are now the Paul brothers and not all time greats in boxers. He just got stopped in the 2nd round and I think the question of can he hang in a competitive way is answered. That was a huge intrigue in the Mayweather deal for casual fans. Law of diminishing returns here IMO unless it’s a reverse situation where people wanna see if a D lister can hang with Conor.

Can we please not legitimize the Paul brothers anymore …

3 Likes

I leave this comment here as a way to double like the comment above.

McGregor/Ferguson will still draw and both fighters need a big win. Needs to happen.

3 Likes

Remember he originally wanted to fight Diego Sanchez before I believe it got vetoed.

He’s the biggest draw and gets paid the most so you’d think that he would have to fight top 10 guys who if they survive the initial flurry, have a great chance of winning, which may affect future buy rates.

I think they now have the excuse to do the Sanchez fight, who lets face it is no threat

Other than Paulie Malinaggi who is smaller and doesn’t hit hard. Although Malinaggi still has the skills to make Connor look bad in a fight.

I don’t know how Mcgregor can hang with not all time great boxers. Even not all time greats can put him to sleep. Their experience and skills are still above Mcgregor in a boxing fight.

Theres also the money factor involved. Which not all time great can draw with Mcgregor? Mcgregor is going to need a name to draw big money. Can’t just pick any random boxer.

The Paul Bros have the freakshow factor going for them. And he could actually look good against them since he has some skill level over them.

I think Nate Diaz is next for Mcgregor. Dana isn’t going to put him against contenders anymore after this loss. Dana has to preserve Conors star power. The more he loses the more that star power fades.

You’ve hit the nail on the head, take out the financial aspects, Conor McGregor should not be sanctioned to fight an established top of the range Boxer, he should be fighting novices but that won’t happen. Skill wise, one of the Paul Brothers is a fair match up.

MMA wise, any contender or top 15 has a chance to beat him and any up and comer has a chance as well.

So if you are looking for faded veterans, then Sanchez fits perfectly, Diaz has that chance because he can outlast him. Maybe they can convince a FW to move up or he faces a faded WW

McGregor doesn’t seem to have worked on his stamina even though it’s cost him numerous times.

1 Like

A WW even a faded one. Doesn’t seem like a good idea. Conor doesn’t seem to do well when fighting guys bigger or equal to his size. He seems to only do better when he’s bigger than his opponents.

Well having long layoffs will do that to you. It was only a matter of time before his lifestyle caught up with him. It happened last night. Can’t expect to be in top condition when you’re partying on a yacht in between training camps.

I like this fight and I am not sure why I didn’t think of it last night. Another one that makes sense is Gaethje who just fought for the title and lost. The people talking about the Diaz fight are the same people talking about the Diaz fight after every Conor fight. The Diaz fight will always be there.

1 Like

Let em have a go at Clay Guida