United States Election Night 2020 discussion thread!!!!

It’s crazy to me that over 5,000,000 people woke up and circled Donald Trump’s name in Florida alone.

1 Like

Ya its not looking great.

Mr. Backlund for 2024!

1 Like

I’m curious what the outcomes are going to be in the Senate and the House. If the Democrats can take power of both, that will really hinder Trumps power (if he wins). It seems like the Democrats will win the house, but the senate is up in the air.

This is the Okada vs Omega Dominion of presidential elections.

The closeness of this race is an indictment on intellectualism.

It’s 1:15am CST for me and the race looks like it will be stuck with Biden at 242 to Trump with 213 with Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina and Georgia as toss ups. But they are all leaning red with 65% - 90% of the vote counted.

For Biden to get the extra 28 electoral to win he would need to win at least two states. In Georgia and North Carolina Trumps lead is 1% or less. If the lead flips in those two states then Biden has 270+ electoral votes and is the next president.

But with the other battleground states having seemingly big Trump leads I’m not hopeful that both GA and NC switch.

1 Like

Shades of Bush v. Gore in 2000

Yup that is where I am. Unless there are a lot of mail in votes yet to be counted that go for Biden, it is over. I had a bad feeling when I went to sleep that it would go this way as every battle ground state where Biden was leading if you looked at where the reporting was coming from it was the Big cities. So when the rural areas came in I expected those to turn and they did.

In fact at this point it looks more likely that Wisconsin also flips Trup

Dammit, America!!

1 Like

I think Biden is going to pull it out. He made a huge comeback in Wisconsin and he’s coming for Michigan now it looks like.

Catching up on everything that happened overnight. If the trend of early votes being for Biden continues, I think some of these key states are going to flip.

Though at this point, the mail-in ballots being counted aren’t necessarily “early”… they could have been completed as recently as yesterday at 7:59 PM in some places. This also may include more “regular” absentee ballots that have nothing to do with Covid, so they may not necessarily follow the trend of the other mail-in ballots.

Really hoping Biden pulls it off.

Incredibly sad to see how close this is… The fact that it is so close seriously disappoints me, that a divisive asshole can still get so much support because he means more to the individual bottom lines of people.

Also, the fact that this isn’t a bigger story is a little scary…

Biden has the big MO right now. I just don’t see Trump being able to hang on, with the areas still left to be counted.

I wonder if Trump would have won in a landslide if it wasn’t for covid and to a lesser degree the racial issues after George Floyd.

Makes me think someone even worse could get power in this country.

Shouldn’t be. There is a huge flaw in how we live in echo chambers and Big Media has infiltrated the public conscious. This has played out - to me - as a 50% rebuking Trump, 50% rebuking being told how to think, how to live, what is moral or immoral. People wanna be left alone or simply don’t give a shit about what a lot in media think people should care about.

Yes he would have won pretty easily if not for Covid. There is a large misunderstanding of What I think is a the cultural strife in America and it’s less about race and Covid and more about communities literally not caring or giving a shit about other communities. People just want to be left alone: don’t tell them how to speak, how to spend their hard earned money, how to take care of themselves from a virus. They wanna be left alone and don’t care if that means their vessel to that is a cruel person like Trump. It’s just a way to vote against being told what to do.

That Covid and race relations became symbols of this election made it close.

But to the point above, this idea 5mil people in Florida are deplorable or racists because they voted for Trump is precisely why we have a pretty evenly split country. Trump voters hear that hysteria and they get entrenched as a trump voter because they view the side making such claims as equally out of touch and chaotic as their side. (My opinion of what we are seeing play out)

I’m so glad Canadian elections wrap things up in time for the 11 o’clock news.

2 Likes

I mean, Canada’s voting system has its own issues… But that’s another topic, haha

1 Like

Congratulations New Jersey. I need to add another location to my ‘Places i might enjoy living someday’ list.

When is the Democratic Party going to finally wake up and have marijuana legalisation at the federal level on their agenda? It’s embarrassingly dumb that it’s not already and I fear they’ll be so dumb they’ll let the Republican Party do it first. All these otherwise non-voters and Republican/Libertarian voters there to be swept up with ease.

Nothing actual to see here:

El-0E2sVgAA7wNt El-0HvxVcAA_aVY

Just the regular Eastern Europe stu… oh, wait, what?