US Senate to investigate Saudi incident. How will this affect the Saudi/WWE relationship?

Some companies pulling out of upcoming event

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/12/saudi-arabia-fii-conference-withdrawal-jamal-khashoggi

No idea what WWE does now - I really don’t think they’ll cancel - so maybe they just quit promoting it so hard, maybe not put it on the network?

2 Likes

Four U.S. senators now urging WWE to “pause” plans for the Crown Jewel event in Saudi Arabia next month

This upcoming Raw will be most intriguing now to see what they do.

1 Like

The problem is that they already started the build and while I get that it’s a really political situation they are in now, they still started the promotion and have all these legends sign on to be on the show, plus they already cash the check so they don’t have the control on the event anymore, the prince does. So the only thing I could see happening is them not really pushing that hard on how great Saudi Arabia is during the broadcast and hope for the best.

Then, after the event, weight in to see if it’s worth all the headache that deal as gotten you and decide if you continue with this or just find a way out of the contract.

1 Like

Ditto. This is exactly what I was going to post. For now I can see WWE continuing to focus on building on the matches leading to Crown Jewel while not even mentioning its location on TV.

How do you guys think that conversation goes?

Lindsey Graham “Linda, I think WWE should hold off on business with Saudi Arabia given recent events”

Linda McMahon “damnit Lindsey, we already promoted HBKs return!”.

2 Likes

Mainstream media too busy trying to link this to Trump jr. WWE will continue and rasslin media will look even more toothless than they actually are.

Meltzer saying they have a backup plan, no idea what it could be.

They are scheduled to be in Madrid & Nottingham the following day with Barcelona & Aberdeen on the Sunday.

This Monday just became the most anticipated Raw in a long time for me

Clearly the WWE isn’t going to be able to fly under the radar on this one.

2 Likes

Who says they’ve cashed the cheque? Why can’t they tell the legends they are promoting to hold their horses, there are issues bigger than the WWE at play here, and if the legends can’t handle that, maybe they aren’t someone you want representing your company to begin with? Who says there isn’t something in the contract that allows WWE to pull out and pay the money back? I know I’m not privy to any of these details. Now, will WWE pull out of this show? I highly doubt it, but for anybody who is not a WWE lawyer or in the inner circle to make any statement about their deal with Saudi Arabia is nothing more than speculation.

My speculation, is that WWE will wait for the final results of the investigation before making any changes, if they are even planning to change course, which means that there may be nothing newsworthy on Monday’s Raw.

1 Like

The Turkish authorities apparently have proof. The Saudi Prince is an impulsive millennial (lol). He was hiding out in his super yacht waiting for this to blow over. He’s got the de-facto president Kushner in his pocket, so don’t expect anything from the white house.

Rated_R_PosterPOST Wrestling Café Patron
I dont disagree with that…but they cant book for people who dont watch. I dont see it as any different than Larry Hagman dying and Dallas writing his death into the show. If people dont like it, then Dallas or wrestling is not for you.
This post is spot on. The WWE is not about wrestling. It’s about “SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT.” Vinny, Jr, admitted as much before the New Jersey Athletic Commission back in the late '80s in order to get out of paying fees and taxes as a bona fide sport.

Between the WWE flat out stating that wrestling is fake and the internet information era limiting the possible machinations that were exploited by promoters during the territorial days, kayfabe made its final gasp over two decades ago. What you have today is nothing more than a serial soap opera akin to “Dallas” and fans who watch it as just another TV show adventure series.

Back in the day wrestling had myriad fans like me who were true believers and even more who suspended disbelief. The sports pages covered pro-wrestling along with baseball, football, and basketball. They would never have exploited the death of a wrestler or manager, because the mentality of the fans was different and wrestling did its best to be perceived as a legitimate sport.

When you tune in WWE today you know you are just watching another episode of the never ending soap opera with wrestling as a backdrop - not a sport or something trying to look like a sport.

Thinking back, it was around 2001 or so when Tory Wilson’s father supposedly died. I vaguely recall some kind of ruckus where the body was laid out and the coffin knocked over. It was tasteless as heck, but personified what wrestling had become. This is NOT your father or grandfather’s wrestling! LOL

Simple fact that people still bring up booking in a story that has real world consequences and deals with an alleged assassination just further shows how little people actually care.

It’ll blow over, Trump will say something stupid and everyone will focus on that because people can’t focus on anything longer than a day.

1 Like

I know that you have to take everything Meltzer report with a grain of salt. But he reported that WWE might be thinking at other option for the event like either postponing it to a later date or just cancelling it and doing the tag match and the universal title match at survivor series instead.

So i’m guessing that if this is true, they do take this seriously enough to actually considers other options for the show.

On a personal note, it’s kinda sad that politics had to get involve in wrestling because even through i get what’s going on in Saudi arabia and i really don’T agree with anything going on down there, i was really looking forward to the show because has a show, it look like a pretty entertaining show.

He just reported they had a backup plans, he didn’t mention what those plans were or mention Survivor Series.

I feel like it’s more sad some dude got murdered (allegedly) than a wrestling event potentially being cancelled

And I’m 99% positive that we’ll still see every match on that show at a different time if it gets cancelled or moved.

1 Like

http://nodq.com/news/541404607.shtml here where i got the news about WWE maybe canceling or just having the 2 main events at survivor series.

That’s NODQ not Meltzer saying that, not exactly a good source.

But who is a good source anyway on the internet theses day. They all based themselves on something they’ve heard even Meltzer isn’t that good of a source but still, all the websites use his reports anyway. So in My book NoDQ is just as good as the anything Meltzer reports since it’s pretty much the same thing.