US Senate to investigate Saudi incident. How will this affect the Saudi/WWE relationship?

Sports Illustrated has something on it now.

1 Like

The problem is that you’re conflating fictional stories in films to real world politics. Obviously most people who go to see a movie dont support the violence it portrays, but it’s fiction, no one is actually hurt. On the other hand you have Saudi Arabia and their enormous amount of human rights violations, and recently admitted to murder of a journalist, this is real. Real people including children are dying, this isn’t a movie.

Just because their government is shit, doesn’t mean the rest of their people should be punished. I’m sure there are so many people there who are looking forward to this show, who don’t support the shit that goes on there.

The Saudi government bought the show. It would be different if they were doing shows independent purely for Saudi fans but the shows are mostly used for Saudi propaganda. A large proportion of the crowd will be not be real fans but members of the Saudi government and their family and friends.

This is correct. Trump ignored the new Russian sanctions. Republican controlled Congress did nothing.

Just a possible update this afternoon, though should anyone really be surprised that there was going to be a deflection, but that is my own opinion on the deflection part.

“Interrogation gone wrong.”

And they just happened to have their bone saws on them. They’re saying they were going to interrogate then kidnap him and take him back to Saudi Arabia. That doesn’t really help their case.

That’s why i think that Trump won’t do anything. He’s a business man first and a politician second. He won’t do anything to jeopardize his firearm deal he has with them over this so he will do what he’s always done and side with them instead of trying to get to the bottom of the whole thing.

Technically I don’t think the President signed those sanctions yet

This is going to be an interesting few weeks: Turns blind eye to murder of a journalist in Saudi Arabia
Promotes Women’s evolution in United States
:roll_eyes:

Is this Vince being stubborn or is the money worth it? It feels like this guy has zero morals or conscious if he goes now. How much money could they possibly be getting to force an entire roster into that predicament and is this just a strong arm to the talent and production crew involved where Vince swings his power around and forces people to do something morally wrong because he’s the boss?

400 million for 10 shows. Even Lance Storm who is probably the most morale wrestler there is said he would go.

Oh which none is shared with the majority of the roster going which begs the question: does Vince give a fuck about his talent and their interests or his he swinging his big D saying - go or don’t work for me and banking on nobody calling his bluff

It not just Vince being stubborn but it’s also HHH and the shareholders that are being stubborn as well. HHH was in charge of the deal with Vince. They both sign the contract and did the photo ops and in the end, they both know that business is more important then principals and just like Trump, they won’t let personal feeling jeopardize a business deal, especially a deal as lucrative as this one.

If Trump won’t condemn them because of his multi million firearm deal he has in place with Saudi Arabia, wwe won’t cancel the show for the same reason.

It’s easy to be outrage at them for this but let’s face it, if any of us were in their shoes, we would probably do the same thing that they are doing even if we were outrage by the situation because in the end, money can buy anything especially when you are dealing with businessman like Vince and HHH.

1 Like

As somebody who has profited A LOT this year due to the surge in stock price, I’m not holding anything against them. Business is business and this time it’s just an international scandal (has it been any less moral what they’ve done in the past re: concussions, sexism).

The part I really wonder about is how the talent is forced into this regardless of how they feel or what they want to do. Yes, WWE is the biggest game in town. But would a guy ever walk based on being forced into something like this? If Seth Rollins cared enough to say Fck it I’m outa here and take his “momentum” to the Indy’s…well that would also be business

Not true. Listen to this interview with Jericho. He said he got a massive pay out from the Saudi show to do 3 minutes in a battle royal. I imagine everyone else on the roster is getting a nicer pay day than usual for a one off show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3E2GKW5gek

Jericho, Brock, HBK, Taker, those guys sure. Jericho isn’t even under contract so of course he got a nice pay out. Do you have any audio from the other 85/90% of the roster? The guys who don’t have Y2J status. How about someone like Elias? Apollo? Tyler Breeze? Kofi Kingston?

The WWE won’t cancel this show but as soon as this show is done it probably won’t get mentioned much the day after and then they’ll pretend it never happened the week after that. Maybe they could cancel the deal quietly when the show is out of the way and there’s less press attention but I don’t know if that’s even an option.

I don’t really see this damaging the US/Saudi relationship too much. If the US are okay with Saudi Arabia destroying Yemen with the weapons the US sold to them, then this issue probably won’t mean much other than it being a PR issue and if they can convince people to look past war crimes (which people do) then they’ll probably convince people that this is just normal and it’s how things work. Sad but true.

I feel like if somebody wasn’t comfortable with this, they wouldn’t be forced to go. Remember when they we’re doing tribute to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, they didn’t force anybody to go to the show and this feel like a similar situation. If a guy like Seth Rollins didn’t want to go, they wouldn’t force him to go. From what I’ve read about Rollins and some of the top guy in wwe, they’re not scared to tell how they really feel because they know that at the end of the day, they still have a job even if they disagree with something the company does.

The whole, talent are scare of truly say how they really feel seem like a load of crap to me. Sure, they must be some talent especially on the lower end that are just doing there job and are not going to rock the boat. But I don’t feel like it’s the majority. Plus from what I’ve gotten, most of the roster aren’t going to the show, it’s seem like it will mostly be part timers and upper mid card guys that have a proven record of speaking their mind when they don’t agree with the company.

1 Like

I’m not going to condemn a country based on the actions of its leader. Now read that sentence again with the idea that I’m talking about the United States.

For everything thats been said about Saudi Arabia I can draw a parallel to USA.
The prince allegedly (probably did) kill a man and is keeping it secret.
Recently, we reached the deadline for the JFK investigation to become public. That’s been “delayed” by the president. A president who doesn’t denounce nazi’s

I think its great that we the wrestling community are growing a social conscience. I support the choice John & Wai made to review it for free. Lets keep voting with our dollars. Lets make our voices heard when we see injustice. Lets remember the USA is selling weapons to the world and WWE runs there tomorrow

2 Likes

Would you watch a new movie with Kevin Spacey?

Would you buy new music from Gary Glitter?

Would you watch a remake of the Cosby show starring Bill Cosby?

Separate fact from fiction, this has zero to do with the product you are watching at home. This show is built on money earned from men who have committed multiple human rights violations including torture and murder. On a scale of what’s important here, the dissapointment of a few fans, most of whom, if not all, will be some of the few who support and thrive under the dictatorship, is a complete non-issue.