What are you reading?

I just wanna ask if any are book-readers here, what is everyone taking their time on reading right now. It can be wrestling, sports, or anything else in general.

For me personally, I’m finishing up Death of the Territories by Tim Hornbaker. The most in-depth book of the history of professional wrestling in North America I’ve ever read.

There are two that I’m looking forward to when I’m done with that. One is an interesting look at the formation of the early 2000s Lakers dynasty with Kobe, Shaq, and Phil Jackson called Three Ring Circus authored by sportswriter Jeff Pearlman. That era was when I started to fall in love with sports as a four year old.

And the other I’m looking forward to is Wayne Gretzky’s most recent book titled “99 Stories of the Game” where he looks back at some of the biggest stories of the National Hockey League from his point of view.

I figure this could be a cool thread where people can talk about what they are reading, give recommendations, or just comment on shows others are are currently into.

Making my way through Rae’s memoir and I wanna start American Born Chinese (it’s getting a live-action adaptation with a loaded cast with Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu and Daniel Wu)

2 Likes

Just finished Donna Tartt’s “The Secret History” (after years of friends and co-workers expressing bewilderment that I hadn’t read it), and then Euripides’ “The Bacchae” as context for that. Just starting in on Shirley Jackson’s “We Have Always Lived In The Castle”, as I’ve been on a big tear of classic weird/ghost fiction for the past couple of years.

How’s the Rae book, @crookedletter9? I’ve been fascinated for years by the RZA v Ghost/Rae tension (with Meth acting as peace-keeper) and I imagine Rae’s the sort to pull no punches with that stuff.

4 Likes

I’m not there yet, @contrasoma. I’m on chapter 6, IIRC

So far, it’s dope

1 Like

Reading Star Wars Brotherhood by Mike Chen right now, but I’ve also read some graphic novels,

The first volume of the Mirage studios black and white TMNT, Boom Studios Power Rangers Unlimited and Go Go Power Rangers vol 1, Sonic the Hedgehog volume 1 lol and Grant Morrison’s JLA volume 1

2 Likes

Right now I’m reading Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s Batman Court of Owls. After playing Gotham Knights where the court of owls are one of the mail villains I decided to re-read the comics the game is based on. It’s a modern DC classic.

I’ve also recently read:

• Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow by Tom King & Bilquis Everly. I started it right before James Gunn announced plans to adapt this book for a movie. It’s a fun story but will probably need a lot of changes to adapt to film.

• TMNT Last Ronin by Kevin Eastman & Peter Laird. A pretty typical “apocalyptic” comic but is very jarring when it’s set in the world of the turtles.

• The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien. Watching Rings of Power inspired me to start finally reading Tolkien’s middle-earth epic.

• Too Sweet Inside the Indie Wrestling Revolution by Keith Greenberg. The book contains lots of wild stories of the indies gathered from first hand interviews. But when it came to telling the overarching story of the birth of AEW the book relied too heavily on just quoting other interviews instead of being a true oral history.

2 Likes

I’ve finished Rae’s memoir and he does touch on how his feud with RZA extended to Divine’s overbearing attitude when it came to management and profits.

Chapter 16 is my favorite chapter.

2 Likes

Cool, thx! You can really see it being a feud born out of a real difference in personalities rather than one specific incident or fight.

1 Like

Another Country by James Baldwin. Good and sad, I want to write essay about it. I found writing service and essay samples at www.customwritings.com/our-essay-samples.html hope it wil help me with my writing. Such essays services are perfect for grammar and proofreading check. Their experts often help me with my college writings. I think it’s ok to use a little pro help from time to time. Great option for students.

1 Like

A new biography on Ric Flair by wrestling historian Tim Hornbaker is coming out on September 12. I’m very excited to read this one.

1 Like

I’m traveling for work this week and have Tim Hornbaker’s “death of the territories” book downloaded. Looking forward to reading it.

Other reads for me:

• Red Rising series book 6 Lightbringer. I’m a big fan of the sci-fi Red Rising series. It’s been four years since the last book so I’m excited to dive into it. It just came out in August.

• Percy Jackson series. I never read this series when I was younger so I’m reading it now prior to the new TV series coming out on Disney+. It’s a fun YA read. It’s fun to analyze the american vs British differences of Percy Jackson vs Harry Potter.

I’m also still reading a lot of comics.

• Current Batman series by Chip Zdarsky & Jorge Jimenez
  • X-Men events from Sins of Sinister building up to Fall of X
  • Radiant Black by Kyle Higgins
2 Likes

I read more than anything else. Right now, I’m reading Tenacious Beasts: Wildlife Recoveries That Change How We Think About Animals by Christopher J. Preston, working through the latest edition of Environmental Humanities, and finishing The Making of Kind of Blue: Miles Davis and his Masterpiece by Eric Nisenson.

Recently finished The Guest Cat by Takashi Hiraide. Picking up Seven Fallen Feathers by Tanya Talaga from the library when I leave today.

Need to get a copy of Death of the Territories one day.

1 Like

I’m number two in the VPL’s hold line for this one.

Making a goal to read at least 6-8 books in 2024. Gonna start with the biography I’m most looking forward to.

2 Likes

I like the goal setting! Keep us posted on you’re tally!

Been late to mention, but I finished Season 2 of ‘Static: Shadows of Dakota’. Nikolas DRAPER-IVEY and Vita Ayala is a team I would love to see MORE of as Draper-Ivey’s art complements of raw and emotional journey Virgil goes through with the writings of Ayala. Only negative is that I the series (especially the last two issues) felt rushed causing the big bad’s reveal a little underwhelming. I still would recommend if you want to see how a hero tries to find the line between vengeance and justice.

‘Worlds Finest: Teen Titans’ was my favorite book I’ve read from DC. Mark Waid really understands his subject matter and the character he is given with an understanding and care that is lacking in other titles. The series gives off that classic feel of the old Titans stories, but with a modern twist that doesn’t feel out of place, but the character work (I’m looking at you Garth) has been fantastic and really makes you actual;y care for the characters because they feel human. They have flaws, they mess up, they get beaten, but get back up.

Emanuela Lupacchino’s artwork gives off that classic feel to the series. Honestly, I wish it lasted longer.

1 Like

Just got my first ereader on the weekend. Reading Death’s End to complete the trilogy but need something after.

Man, he jams A LOT into the last quarter of “Death’s End”, be ready! If you’re looking for some big and grand, socially minded space opera that isn’t quite as bleak, have you tackled the Culture novels?

I just blasted though a pair of shorter Dostoevskys (“The Double” & “The Gambler”) and my friend Sam Wiebe’s latest Vancouver crime novel (“Sunset & Jericho”). Currently reading Zander Cannon’s very funny and clever but also affecting “Kaijumax” comics, JK Huysman’s decadent “La-Bas”, and am still picking away at the copy of “Pure Dynamite” John gave me; its sheer misanthropy is difficult to deal with for more than a few pages at a time but Dynamite’s engaged yet disillusioned take on the biz is fascinating.

Comic wise I am liking what I have seen so far with both (New) ULTIMATE titles (Spider-Man & Black Panther). I have a love/hate relationship with the original ULTIMATE run, but the first issues of ULTIMATE Spider-Man and ULTIMATE Black Panther got me hooked to see what happens next.

1 Like

For Christmas, I got Fourth Wing and Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros. I’ve ready Fourth Wing and am halfway through Iron Flame. I’ve read a lot of fantasy fiction before but the heavy romance plot is definitely something different for me. But they have been fun to read with lots of world building and action in every chapter.

In comics I am looking forward to trying the new Marvel Ultimate books when they show up on Marvel Unlimited. But right now i’m getting caught up on Fall of X in the X-Men and Iron Man books.

2 Likes