What are you watching?

I finally watched it last year. It’s a great binge but you’re right about some of it not holding up as well.

The kids are pretty awful actors back then. Season one was a bit tough to get through but it picks up.

1 Like

I’m very interested to watch the new Perry Mason that debuts on HBO tomorrow. Stars Matthew Rhys, Tatiana Maslaney, and John Lithgow, doesn’t get much better then that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNATvJMPZaA

2 Likes
  • Star Trek Discovery, Seasons 1-2
  • Star Trek Into Darkness (The 12th Star Trek movie)
  • Star Trek Beyond (The 13th and last Star Trek movie ever done)-
  • The 1992 Fox X-Men Cartoon Series
  • The 1994 Fox Spiderman Cartoon Series
  • Dragon Ball Super, dubbed in Mandarin Chinese

That’s most of what I watch since the pandemic, the other stuff are just Raw January 2000, so nothing to report.

Great thread, thanks!

I remember when I was in grade school, that 1992 X-men show was literally the coolest show on TV. Does it still hold up today? I haven’t watched it in years.

1 Like

It only ran for five seasons; the last episode was called “Graduation Day” with Professor X being fatally wounded, and that epsisode aired in 1997.

However, all of Capcom’s Marvel video game titles, the X-Men vocal cast lent their voices for their own character like how Cathal Dodd voiced Wolverine.

It was better than Spiderman, and did feature Spiderman’s hand webbing a park bench in a storm. He did not have an episode or any other full-blown crossovers within that series, but there were in the Spiderman series, all of the X-Men.

This past Christmas, we purchased a big screen TV, and I tend to use it to the ground! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I always have a show I dont really watch but use it as background noise. I juts finished my millionth Office rewatch, so now I’ve been watching Fresh Prince of Bel Air for this.

But the shows I’m actually watching are the Clone Wars and I’m thinking of starting Veep.

3 Likes

@kliq How was Perry Mason?

Also has anyone watched the Expanse at all?

I TIVO’d it, I hope to watch it tomorrow. Ill post what I think as soon as I do.

1 Like

I’ve watched the first three seasons that came out on SyFy. I haven’t watched the latest season on Amazon Prime yet.

If you are a science fiction fan I recommend it.

Its the only realistic sci-fi with a more serious tone I can think of on tv right now. It’s well done from that perspective and explains the science behind it. BUT it’s a slow moving show and it doesn’t pick up the pace of the story until halfway through season 1. Some might say season 2.

I definitely recommend reading the books as well.

I’ve watched a few episodes of both shows on Disney plus with my son. They are honestly pretty rough. The animation isn’t as good as I remember. The voice actors are flat and given terrible dialogue.

It was still fun from a nostalgic perspective to watch again. And it still impressed me how faithful they were to the comic book storylines. But I wouldn’t watch anymore. There are newer x-men and Spider-Man shows with much higher quality animation and writing.

What still holds up is the DC animated shows from the 90’s - early 2000’s. Batman, Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League. They still look terrific and had incredible voice actors that have defined what many of these characters sound like to me.

1 Like

I can say this for the first chapter of Perry Mason, I’m glad Downey Jr. was busy with Avengers that he couldn’t star in this, not taking away from him at all. His idea of choosing Matthew Rhys to play the role kinda feels much better taking on the role of the hard boiled private eye.

Also as an aside, I do love the score for this with the old fashioned noir style tone.

Ok, I watched it tonight, and I really liked it.

I read a headline the other day that said “Its not your grandpa’s Perry Mason” and they certainly got that right. I never watched the original outside of catching a few minutes here and there when my Dad watched the reruns, but this is much much darker in tone. The original was very tame, this one is essentially rated R, swearing, nudity, violence etc. Your typical HBO show.

The differences are that in the original the character of Perry Mason was a criminal-defense lawyer who had PI’s work for him. In this, the character of Perry Mason is the PI who works for a lawyer.

Matthew Rhys was amazing as the lead, if you watched the American’s and were a fan, I’m sure you will be a fan of his performance in this. It’s not easy doing a period piece like this (takes place in 1931), but he did it seamlessly.

John Lithgow was good, but in the first episode his role was pretty small. Tatiana Maslany who is also amazing (watch her amazing character work as like 10 people in Orphan Black to see what she is capable of) doesn’t appear in the episode, but it seems that she will be introduced as a preacher or some type of religious figure in chapter 2.

Without spoiling anything major, the episode starts out with a pretty heinous crime and Perry is recruited by a lawyer (John Lithgow) who goes to the same church as the victims family, to help him find out who is responsible for this crime. Ill leave it at that. Looks like the episodes are going to be serialized (unlike the original which I believe was a procedural).

I recommend it.

Trying to think back to what a I have watched during the Pandemic

With the wife

• Top Chef All stars (current season)
  • making the Cut
  • Project Runway
  • Next in Fashion

On my own

• Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
  • West World Season 3
  • Legend of Korra
  • Love Life
  • She Ra season 4 and 5
  • Last Kingdom Season 4
  • Witcher Season 1
  • watchmen season 1

Lots of children’s programming with the kids.

1 Like

For whatever reason, I have been seeking the familiar and comfortable for the majority of my viewing lately. I have come to love a few comedies I stumbled across years ago, and mostly just rotate through them when I need something to watch. A few of them take a few episodes to get into, but I love each one. They include:

1. Toast of London (Netflix - absurd humour, like a live action cartoon at times)
  2. People Just Do Nothing - (Netflix- like “The Office”, but about a delusional pirate-radio MC and his crew)
  3. Hardy Bucks - (Netflix - like “Trailer Park Boys”, but set in a tiny Irish town)
  4. Man Down - (Netflix - the life of man for whom nothing ever works out)
  5. Letterkenny - (Crave - smalltown “Seinfeld”)
  6. Inbetweeners - (like “American Pie” but much better and a TV show)

No one I know has ever watched any of the first four, so if any of you try any of these shows, I would love to hear what you think.

Wow it seems like we have had the exact same quarantine TV experiences lol.

My wife and I just finished Love Life on HBO Max last night. I thought it was a nice break from some of the more serious TV we have been watching. And that Anna Kendrick is wonderful in just about everything. I recommend to anyone looking for something less dark.

1 Like

With you on Kendrick I’ve liked most everything I’ve seen her in. It was a very interesting view on relationship dynamics.

1 Like

I have been watching every Jackie Chan movie available on different streaming services. There has only been 2 movies that I did not like. But they are at least never boring. It is at least something me and my wife can agree on.

I feel like Nate Milton by watching movies from only 1 actor. I should start my own podcast. :grin:

Right now i’m watching Jack Ryan season 2. It’s pretty good. It has some impressive action scenes and a very diverse cast.

But there are some other shows/movies i’m looking forward to coming out in July.

Cursed

I just recently read the King Arthur book Once and Future King so i’m looking forward to this re-imagining of the crazy ancient legend.

The Old Guard

I’ve read The Old Guard comic book series and it’s great. And Charlie Theron is always incredible in action movies.

1 Like

First I’ve heard of Cursed but anything Swords and Sorcery I’m down for it. Especially king Aurthur legends.

If you’ve never watched Gomorrah, i highly recommend it, it’s one of my favourite shows ever.

It’s an Italian Sopranos/The Wire/Breaking Bad tier quality crime drama set in Naples and based on true events involving the Camorra. It’s brutal, realistic, brilliantly written and acted. It makes other depictions of organised crime look like Seasame Street.