What is the best promo package of all time?

For a podcast that I’m producing, I’m looking at what makes a good promo and why.

So, I was wondering what you guys think is the best promo package/s of all time?

Just to clarify, are you asking for the best promos which I usually consider to be either an interview directed to the camera or a back-and-forth between wrestlers (such as the Dusty Rhodes “Hard Times” speech, the Punk Pipebomb, Jericho interrupting the Rock, etc).

Or the best video packages such as the WM17 “My Way” Rock/Austin video or Daniel Bryan “Monster” WM30 video.

3 Likes

This is in my opinion, the greatest package of all time. You get the entire story in a short package. You can feel the NEED, the desperation, the obsession from Shawn Michaels. This man was willing to do anything to get this match, even helping one of his hated rivals, win the World Championship.

Followed very close behind would be Rock/Austin My Way promo and Daniel Bryan Monster promo

3 Likes

Any promo package where I don’t hit fast forward while Limp fucking Bizkit is playing must be something special…

2 Likes

Assuming Sparky Marky is asking about video packages, this was going to be the first one I posted too. The “My Way” video always gets mentioned a lot as the greatest but I LOVE this WM26 Michael’s/Taker video. It also had such creative use of music which perfectly matched the story compared to the alternative/heavy rock WWE always uses in most of their videos.

2 Likes

The My Way/Monster video.

As I find they can help tell you a lot about a match.
I think the Bayley vs. Sasha from NXT Brooklyn was really good!

A great deep cut is the Foley/Rock promo package for rumble 99.

1 Like

When I’m thinking of video packages my mind shoots to 4. The first is Randy Orton vs. Ric Flair from Taboo Tuesday, I don’t know why but I love that video and that match wasn’t bad.
Second, it was from AAW and it’s for Eddie Kingston vs. Silas Young. It’s carried mainly by Kingston’s awesome promos.
The final 2 are from New Japan, one for a match between Shinsuke Nakamura & Hiroshi Tanahashi in 2011 soon after Nakamura won the G1 and the other for Tanahashi/Okada from King of Pro Wrestling 2013. The music is the stand out to me in these videos as I don’t know Japanese.

1 Like
1 Like

Here is a great one that never gets mentioned. Cena vs Orton from 2014 which looked back on both of their careers and leaned into the idea that they were the feud of a generation.

And the best Zayn vs Owens package reviewing their entire feud:

I can literally spend all day on YouTube rewatching these. WWE does such an amazing job putting them together.

A few things that stand out about all of these videos are:

1. A look back on a longer storyline/playing on nostalgia. Instead of being a video about a 2 week build the videos highlight guys entire careers and how the two competitors differ.
  2. A voiceover which gives the video a “big match” feel.
1 Like

followed by this…

1 Like

Has to be anything with Creed or POD playing in the background

1 Like

This is a great one.

2 Likes

The Cena/miz mania package with the song “hate me now.”

2 Likes

Eddie Guerrero vs Brock Lesnar No Way Out 2004

1 Like