Which Friday show are you more excited about/watching ?

Harsh. The guy definitely had some name value in the past.

1 Like

There will not be a real finish. Thatā€™s WWE. Cool angles and good matches. No finish

So sell me on spending another 30 minutes watching something that will be an inconsequential finishā€¦(not intending for this to be harsh, iā€™m just curious what the sales pitch is)

1 Like

I likely would watch neither

But here is the pitch

You will see Brock Lesnar confront Paul Heyman and Roman. Will Paul reveal if heā€™s working with Lesnar more than he lets on? An in ring confrontation with explosives

Becky battles Sasha - match is great and hinges on Becky trying to maul her. Finish sheā€™s bank statement with Bianca running in and standing tall at the end taking out both.

ā€”-

Again this is a non finish and a storyline in the last 30 mins. But itā€™s with 5 huge stars.

Would you rather see CM Punk beat Evan Bourne? Or Jericho jaw Jack with Jorge who sits outside the ring?

Like I said I likely wouldnā€™t see either. But of all those things the one I want to see the most is Roman and Brock

1 Like

I donā€™t think Iā€™d turn the channel if SD is compelling for the final 45 min. Youā€™re right itā€™s big stars.

I think AEW is to get crushed here followed by 2 down Saturdays and a spell of poor momentum and rise in naysayers

I just canā€™t see AEW as the little engine that could, and thatā€™s not a criticism of AEW. If anything I am saying I view them at a similar level to WWE. Of course they do not have the mainstream branding that the WWE has as a wrestling company, that just takes time, but ultimately they have bigger pockets backing them then the WWE could ever dream of and among the hardcore fans, are much more respected as a company.

I understand the TV deal argument, but with that logic you could say that NXT was the little engine that could when it went to USA because it was on its 1st TV deal which obviously is not an honest statement. Like I said, I view all the posturing between the two as a battle between billionaires, one has been in this business A LOT longer, the other is a more successful/richer businessman.

If these two guys were in a bar, Vince is that guy puffing his chest out while trying to intimidate Khan with a giant glare from across the room, and Khan is that with bodyguards doing his best to egg Vince on and laughing at his idiocy while doing it. Its all posturing.

I donā€™t think you see any of that stuff you described. Itā€™s all being built to Crown Jewel. The Banks match will be a fuck finish, just like everything that happened on RAW tonight.

The Brock stuff will be a tease, nothing of consequence will happen.

Yeah I completely agree. I think what I described is what will happen ā€“ there will be a Sasha and Becky match that ends with a Bianca run in and theyā€™re will also be a confrontation with Paul, Brock and Roman that will be teased but not reveal anything substantial.

However they will all be in that final 30
Iā€™m sure. And anyway you slice it is:

1. A show with a two hour head start
  2. Commercial free
  3. Big stars

Now is AEW counter program that with for example CM punk versus Kenny omega or Malachi black or Brian Danielson etc. Iā€™m certain they would have a legitimate shot at beating them.

However they currently have CM punk in what is going to be essentially a job match, a boring asf womenā€™s match, and the big main event with Jericho versus MMA guys although the biggest MMA star and the only one people care about in Jorge isnā€™t fighting. Iā€™m not sure half the audience even knows who Junior Santos is.

NXT was absolutely the little engine that could in all of WWE. Thatā€™s why selling out Brooklyn was an unbelievable achievement when it happened and why getting to proper cable tv was supposedly a big deal. In typical WWE fashion the train was going just not fast enough or to Vinceā€™s liking so he started changing things mid acceleration til he broke it and started over (2.0). The NXT that went to USA was definitely the underdog within the company. Probably why Vince hated all the stars coming from there to begin win

2 Likes

I meant the little engine that could when comparing them to Dynamite. I guess internally it was, but my point is that nobody looked at NXT as the underdog compared to Dynamite because it wasnā€™t Raw or SD. It still had a billion dollar promotion behind it.

AEW just announced a buy-in on YouTube starting at 9 pm with Daniel Bryan and others in action.

I actually think the Rampage card looks decent. A lot of intrigue to the main event and anytime CM Punk wrestles is a big deal. Sydal can still go, not a basic job guy at all.

I donā€™t think the no commercial thing is a big deal. It hasnā€™t been made apparent that is even happening.

WWE has also trained their fans to realize TV matches donā€™t matter. The whole womenā€™s tournament has been a joke. King of the Ring means nothing. Things will happen in Saudi Arabia, not so much on TV.

I also think AEW will do a lot better because the guy running the show doesnā€™t think itā€™s 1988 still. Khan of today is just a much, much better promoter than Vince of today. Vince doesnā€™t care

2 Likes

They really are trying to drag me down to Miami on a Friday Night arenā€™t there. Damn them!

2 Likes

I didnā€™t see the buy in but makes sense. They can counter with big stuff and it will work.

CM Punk vs Evan Bourne Iā€™m not sure is a draw when you know he will win. If it was someone even the level of Malachi Black Iā€™m sure it would be huge. Doesnā€™t need to be Omega or Bryan. However this is basically a mid card guy at best.

The Jericho angle would have been huge if it was Jorge. But heā€™s got a match coming up and isnā€™t wrestling. Iā€™m not sure JDS is a big enough name to draw an audience.

Bunny vs Ruby is what it is.

In the end the show has some decent potential if they add some figures in. But countering Brock live with Roman and Becky vs Sasha that is all commercial free isnā€™t easy

I look at it this way for myself. Rampage is a standard Rampage. Nothing is drawing me to watch that show if I didnā€™t already want to watch it. If you are invested in the AEW stories/product it will bring you in if youā€™re not it wonā€™t. For me the same is true for Smackdown except for me there are things that are happening there that are actively making me disinterested.
1.) I donā€™t like Brock, and havenā€™t for some time. I get that people do but I think he has done more harm than good for years. I also know he isnā€™t beating Roman at Crown Jewel so I donā€™t care.
2.) Roman has no credible challengers so I donā€™t really care much about him at this point. WWE has almost no depth built in their roster and hasnā€™t for a long time.
3.) I hate the Becky heel turn in general, if Bianca wins the title back ok, but I donā€™t see that happening at which point she has no challengers because again there is no depth in any division. Just look at the king for the ring/queens crown and the booking. It sucks.

For selfish reasons Iā€™m starting a poll (but also curious to see what prevailing sentiment is here from a consumer behavioral aspect
:
Should I drive an hour-ish to Miami this weekend (tickets cost $40 / night after fees; parking + gas figure another $60 making it a $100 evening befre food/drink)

• Yes, Both
  • Yes, Rampage Only
  • Yes, Dynamite Only
  • No, Neither

0 voters

Lmao. Iā€™m landing in Orlando for a conference on Friday and debating the same (in my case the commute is too long)

2 Likes

Lol now itā€™s Bryan vs Suzuki. I think AEW will do just fine. Vince will counter with Madcap Moss

3 Likes

Alex, please come this way. I will happily put you up in my place and cover any expenses related to the show and trip down. Please let me know, I would love love love this with you my friend!

2 Likes

I love how above this I mention if they wanted to turn this around they needed to have a big Daniel Bryan match and they pretty much agave one of the biggest matches they could. Iā€™ll give them credit, they did what they needed to do

3 Likes

Thanks so much! Would be great to meet up!

I just wish it was closer but Iā€™m coming with a friend and will see if our timings work. If not Iā€™m definitely making a trip in the new year to see a show and hopefully meet you guys.

1 Like