Who will win the ratings tonight? (2020-03-04)

I think Gargano/Ciampa loser leave town match is the Takeover main event

Cole/Dream
Balor/Walter with the rematch a month later
Women’s Ladder Match
I think a 3 Way for the Tag Titles
A multiple man North American Title match
Lee vs Grimes vs Dijakovic vs Priest vs Strong (He won his cage match)

What is a loser leaves town match in NXT? They basically run one “town” - Full Sail. And neither guy is going to the main roster as it would 98 per cent chance be a disaster.

How many Cage matches did NXT do in history before the USA era?

I predicted this would happen when they brought Finn in. They can’t help themselves from ruining what made NXT special. I said they’d bring in main roster talent - they did. I said they’d water down TakeOvers, they did (hijacked both War Games with the Survivor Series story and Portland with both Worlds Collide so close before and Charlotte hovering over the women’s match). Now they are doing gimick matches for the sake of what?

I think NXT is still very enjoyable and the ability to get invested in the talent that is there is a big hook for me. But they have done a good job at stripping things that made NXT what it was.

6 Likes

Means somebody (The guy with the neck injuries and miracle baby) gets to have one final blow away match with his best friend on the biggest stage before he becomes a coach or retires

Just did some quick research on Cagematch since both shows debut:

NXT TV: 5 title changes, two cage matches and two ladder matches

AEW TV: Two title changes, one cage match and zero ladder matches

Just seems like a waste. They’ve already fought so many times before. And didnt he just have neck surgery? So why bother going balls out again right after that?

I think you c an add over exposing their top talent. We basically see the top guys every single week now. That wasn’t a thing before USA. Between the ratings battle and the extra hour I feel like we see the top stories week in and week out and they get dull.

2 Likes

I think slotting in Killer Kross could be a big difference maker for NXT. The guy is going to be a huge star and was a great signing.

Essentially what WWE has mastered since 2001. Over exposure of talent, and over saturation of the market.

2 Likes

This.

It’s more a ratings ploy now. One hour on the network was a better show.

I think headlining with JG vs TC again is a mistake - doesn’t feel special.

Personally I would headline with a triple threat with Cole/Dream/Strong and have Strong win and turn face

The issue for me with Gargano vs Cole is not that it doesn’t feel special it’s that it doesn’t feel right. We saw Ciampa celebrate with Gargano after he won the title. They didn’t build tension or anything in appearances since the Ciampa return. They have either been on the same page or in separate programs. If they wanted to get back here Gargano they should have had Gargano (at least planned) in Wargames, brought DIY back together going for the tag belts, and fall apart because of Ciampa obsessing over Goldie or something. Have that cost them the tag titles. Then Johnny costing Ciampa his title match has some sort of rationale beyond “Tommaso knows what he did.”

Considering how they have been trailing in the ratings since the start, I think they’ve actually shown surprising restraint with their usage of main roster talent. Finn has come back and been used really well. Charlotte has been in a couple times to build the Mania match. But really, when you look at all the big names on the main roster that are NXT alumni, most have been kept away from Full Sail.

I think big problem is they haven’t figured out how to balance creating a product worth watching every week with not giving away too much. It didn’t help that the USA debut coincided with a weird block of time with booking, building to a Takeover and Survivor Series right off the bat. Hopefully once they get thru Mania weekend they can find a bit more of a rhythm.

To be fair, AEW has pushed a lot of major stuff in a short period of time since the new year, but it’s not as big of a deal because it’s still a fresher product. And I’ll gladly take this rough patch of NXT over a rough patch for either of the main roster shows.

Two matches announced for NXT next week…

• Lee v Grimes - N.A. Championship
  • Riddle & Dunne v Fish & O’Riley - Tag Team Championship

Honestly I’ve got low to no interest in these matches.

1 Like

AEW: 906,000
NXT: 718,000
Tulsi Gabbard: 1

:man_shrugging:t4::rofl::100:

4 Likes

We’re having title matches for title matches sake. It’s actually getting sad to what beloved NXT become Just another WWE TV brand

More burning out talent through over exposure. The Grimes thing is too fast with no real build, he’ll lose and no one will care about him. Broserweights will likely win, no real build up for this one either.

That’s the problem with running the same talent every week. The heavily pushed wrestlers end up as champions (for better or worse) and then if you want to continue to feature them, it leads to either too many title matches or the main roster method of a bunch of non-title matches and meaningless multi-man tags.

Another round of the ratings deciding how good or how terrible posters think the shows were… The “hindsight with ratings” fans are an interesting bunch. Seem to hide under a rock when Raw & SD ratings come through. Those ratings don’t count and are in no way representative of interest from “real” wrestling fans… :sweat_smile:

Providing context on this forum? Dangerous.