Whose the next needle moving star?

I agree

An outside star will galvanize the wrestling bubble fans as finally we are being accepted by the main stream instead of this side show we have going on. Plus it will drag in the casual or non wrestling fans to see what’s going on. Good angles and booking could keep them around.

of course I am not sure we can ever get back to 90s popularity there is too much wrestling content (decent and up) for a person to watch and instant access to everything online. Much like TV Shows now only a few get huge viewership as there have never been as many scripted shows out there. Most Network shows for 40 years were pulling in tens of millions a week,

Who are the likely outside or hopeful outside candidates Conner? Daniel Cormier? CM Punk? is he a casual fanbase now with UFC and comics etc? Gronk?

2 Likes

Going by your picks, it seems as if you don’t know what he means… Tessa has a difficult enough time getting the Impact crowd cheering for her. She’s not going to be a better version of Becky like people are suggesting. Omega doesn’t have the personality to be that much of a big deal either in my opinion.

McGregor would definitely move the needle.

DC’s not a bad choice…I think he’d take to wrestling like a duck to water…Bones Jones is in that same boat.

Punk would be a good get for the Fed, and a defining moment for AEW (“defining signing”?).

In terms of NFL guys, Gronk or Antonio Brown are in that small group of players that could make a difference. :100:

2 Likes

Gronk would pop a rating once and get some mainstream attention for mid-card matches.

Antonio Brown would just be the next Pacman Jones in TNA.

When even Bill Belichick decides a guy that talented is too toxic for your team, you really have to wonder where he might end up next.

1 Like

Dallas Cowboys?

1 Like

No one in WWE - they don’t book that way.

My pick would be MJF. His eventual heel turn is going to be massive and I can see him becoming a Roddy Piper-like crossover star.

You’re living in a bit of a bubble if you think an MJF heel turn is going to be massive and be a serious needle mover. As has been mentioned already, it would have to be someone famous from a different industry.

Cain Velasquez and Tyson Fury are the ones getting millions of views on YouTube while in a wrestling ring. Not sure that translates to TV viewers but they’re the only ones currently getting that level of attention for what they’re doing in wrestling. By far.

I’m going to agree with folks and say MJF. He’s young enough to use the next few years to establish himself and I could easily see him becoming something unique and his ability to market his character is already quite impressive. He also has a character that doesn’t age out and could have mass appeal, more of a ric flair I think, but I could be wrong.

If you’re using the term needle mover, than I think you mean someone who draws people outside of wrestling to start watching wrestling for that person. AEW has been able to do that more than WWE in the last number of years.

I don’t think you’re going to get a needle mover organically like you did before in WWE. It’s only going to be people that are needle movers before they arrive with WWE. Riddle and Baszler were already people before WWE. And dream is great, but that gimmick can’t last.

So my answer is MJF.

1 Like

You can not predict who the next big thing is. There are to many variables that have to fall right. You need the right person at the right time with the right push.

2 Likes

Absolutely right, very few would have predicted Dwayne Johnson as the next big thing when he was Rocky Miavia, or Steve Austin when he was Stunning Steve. It takes the right talent, with the right story, at the right moment.

1 Like

Interesting looking back on this now. Pretty clear that MJF is that guy. Congrats to those who picked him

1 Like