will you be watching AEW Full Gear?

Yeah they’re just charging more. Every measurable number is down since September.

This. The numberization of wrestling is so boring. These numbers haven’t meant anything for anyone week-to-week. WWE is richer than it’s ever been, and AEW makes all of its money because it gets stable viewership and it’s cheap to produce, not big spikes in numbers week-to-week. Everyone here at least uses Patreon, so my guess is more people here watch their wrestling via partnered streaming services, pay per episode, or illegally. Like, there are people that think WOW is a more successful company than IMPACT because Brandon Thurston put a higher number on a chart.

I’ll be seeking out the The Elite against Death Triangle, but I won’t be watching this card live or paying for it. The build certainly hasn’t been worth more than the ten bucks I pay for Wrestle Universe per month.

You cant just say the reason attendance is down is because there is no punk when before he was there most of their shows were sellouts. They were never going to keep that up. Attendance was going to go down. And it will go back up. Thats how live shows work

1 Like

Agreed. If an attendance expert wants to tell me I’m wrong, than I’ll defer. But you can’t draw any conclusions about AEW attendance – other than more people is better than less – when they’re still only hitting most markets (other than the huge one) for the second or third time ever. And you can’t compare it to WWE (not here, but many people do) until they’re running house shows and visiting the same market 3-4 times in 18 months.

I agree partial, but just look at their last TV rating as well. That’s a go home show and they didn’t even come close to generating interest.

Even if it is the second time in the market the size of the shows is pathetic. They couldn’t even draw 4000 fans for the last show. The WWE selling out 60,000 people Arenas.

I mean whatever metric you’ve convinced yourself the AEW is hotter I don’t know, because I think most of the pundits as well would agree that the pendulum in terms of popularity has swung back to WWE for now.

If you look back a year ago and they were very close in the ratings. . Right now they aren’t even half of it

I dont think aew is hotter. I think the ratings have to reflect the matches offered. Not much since grand slam in my opinion has been must see. You know the matches will be good but thats not enough to watch every week. They have alot of names besides punk but who do see every week? Indy guys nobody knows and roh guys no one cares about sprinkled in with some mox and danielson.

There used to be a big match or two each week. Now its 3 post match beat downs each week

I don’t really see what ordering Full Gear has to do with WWE or why this needed to become a WWE vs AEW thread.

Even if Punk and AEW were on good terms, Punk would still have been injured at All Out and couldn’t compete tonight. The most likely main event would still be Mox vs MJF.

And like I said, if I was at home today and not traveling I would order the PPV. And the reason being is to see Mox vs MJF. MJF has been excellent in every feud over the past 18 months. No matter who wins or loses tonight’s main event it should be really good.

2 Likes

Ratings are dumb and no other fanbase gives a shit about Nielsen boxes as much as wrestling fans.

What’s everyone’s call for match of the night? I gotta go with The Elite versus Death Triangle.

2 Likes

Again, I’ve said it many times over the years. The reason fans are interested in AEW’s ratings, is because it’s one of the only public metrics (along with ticket sales) of their success.

And for fans who are invested in the promotion, and want to see it succeed, seeing steady ratings on a major outlet are a sign of them likely having a bright future. As, rights fees, are what will likely keep them competitive (in affording a certain level of talent), in the future.

2 Likes

Some fans sure, but I think many AEW fans care more about “beating WWE” then seeing a steady rise. When NXT and dynamite were on the same night, people wouldn’t shut up about the ratings. Now that there aren’t really competing and Dynamite has dropped, I rarely hear people talking about them.

On the other side, some WWE fans are threatened by AEW and use the ratings as a crutch to claim brand superiority.

Both sides are super annoying with the obsession of the ratings.

Everyone should just enjoy wrestling. Its great! Watch both

4 Likes

I wish more people had this attitude.

So did MJF win the title? I’m not seeing anything anywhere and its after midnight. Is the show still going on?

I did the movie theatre experience. Love doing those nowadays.

1 Like

Update: I was wrong :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say everyone should love both lol but love and enjoy what you do! I can’t enjoy much WWE, but Impact, AEW, New Japan, Dragongate, Noah, Rev Pro, I love it all! I’d rather hear what everyone loves then compare the two big companies lol but maybe that’s just me

1 Like

I mean, if you listen to the lyrics of the elite song, sounds like it was a shot it punk. That and him being removed from the video game art, I have to think that he’s done there.

If he actually starts coming to the WWE around Wrestlemania, that would be a massive. Match with him and Steve Austin for instance. I assume the noncompete would have to run through
wrestlemania for safety reasons.

1 Like

Didn’t watch the show, but glad to see they finally took the title of Mox and are giving the ball to MJF. Guy is money, and is by a mile the most entertaining thing going on in AEW right now.

I mean, “finally” seems sort of strange to use with Moxley dropping the title. He never would have had it at any point in the last six months if Punk didn’t get hurt / quit (or whatever you want to call the scrum).

I look at last night as a reset in several regards, and getting back on track in a major way all around.

1 Like

Even if he was healthy, he’s still employed by AEW. The idea he’s showing up at Mania is likely close to impossible.

If they buy his contract out, I assume there will be some form of non compete. And if not, they just pay Punk while he heals up, and then revisit where everything stands.