Winner of NJPW G1 Climax 32 tournament determined

Originally published at Winner of NJPW G1 Climax 32 tournament determined

Winner of the 2022 G1.

Closing out the 2022 NJPW G1 Climax tournament was the finals between Kazuchika Okada and Will Ospreay.

For the fourth time in his career, Okada won the G1. He now adds this 2022 victory to his 2012, 2014 and 2021 wins. Okada has secured his shot at the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship which is in Jay White’s possession. White defeated Okada to become champion at Dominion in June.

Will Ospreay is the reigning IWGP U.S. Heavyweight and RevPro Undisputed British Heavyweight Champion. He’ll be heading back to All Elite Wrestling for their Trios Title tournament. He is scheduled to team to Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis) to take on Death Triangle (PAC, Penta El Zero M & Rey Fenix).

Below are the results from today’s G1 show:

• YOH, YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii & Hirooki Goto def. HOUSE OF TORTURE (Dick Togo, SHO, Yujiro Takahashi & EVIL)
  • TMDK (JONAH & Bad Dude Tito) def. Tom Lawlor & Royce Isaacs
  • United Empire (Jeff Cobb, Great-O-Khan & Aaron Henare) def. BULLET CLUB (Juice Robinson, Bad Luck Fale & Chase Owens)
  • Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr. & Lance Archer def. SANADA, BUSHI & Tetsuya Naito
  • El Phantasmo & KENTA def. Hiromu Takahashi & Shingo Takagi
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi & David Finlay def. The Good Brothers (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson)
  • KUSHIDA & Tama Tonga def. Taiji Ishimori & Jay White
  • G1 Climax 32 Final: Kazuchika Okada def. Will Ospreay

Same. Old. Shit. NJPW sucks

I was just coming here to ask the NJPW followers where this ranks on the “Cena winning the 2013 Rumble or 2014 MITB” scale?

(Actually both bad examples in the long run, because one was setting up Cena/Rock II and the other was just setting him up to get squashed by Brock. But at the time…)

There’s literally no point to watch this. I l knew the minute they announce the brackets Okada would win because he just lost the title and Okada always wins these things. So again Okad vs Jay for time number seven, just like we saw Okada and Will like 5 times ?

I know WWE does this with Roman and Brock but this is like every match up it’s just the same thing over and over again. It’s always an Okada style a long match winning with the rainmaker. Like there’s no point to watch it’ll just always be the same match ups with the same people. Nothing new or innovative. At least WWE tries to change stips on those rematches.

Really, it’s only Okada’s second G1 finals appearance/win in the last seven or eight years. I don’t think many fans in Japan are upset about it. He’s the top star in the company, at the peak of his popularity.

2 Likes

Okada vs Jay White again? It’s just the same thing over and over again

Appreciate it. Different world over there… my only point of comparison is the Royal Rumble, and I’m pretty sure I know what the response would be over here if a guy won it in 2012 and 2014 and then won it again in both 2021 and 2022. Even peak popularity Stone Cold wouldn’t survive that backlash.

1 Like

Yes I totally get what you’re saying.

When Austin one went on to challenge the Rock twice and Shawn Michaels once.

The rock at wrestlemania 15 verses 17 was a completely different character and way more over.

This just seems like it’s recycling the same thing again and again and the characters are basically not more over and not any different.

We just saw this in June.

It’s not like this next match will be like hell in a cell or last man standing or something. It’ll just be the same as before except it’ll be 35 minutes and Okada will win with a rainmaker .

And it’s not like new Japan pro wrestling is hot. They’re trouble selling seats and a lot of people have said it’s just the same old stuff and ongoing 35 minute matches all the time with the same people

I didn’t have a big problem with it, Ospreay would have been more interesting but I’m sure they aren’t doing White vs Ospreay in the Dome lol mind you I’m also sitting here in an Okada t shirt right now, so ya know lol

1 Like