Women's North American Champion to be crowned in Ladder match at NXT Battleground

Originally published at Women's North American Champion to be crowned in Ladder match at NXT Battleground

The first Women’s North American Champion to be crowned at Battleground. 

On June 9th, WWE’s NXT brand is presenting their Battleground Premium Live Event from the UFC APEX in Las Vegas, Nevada. At Stand & Deliver, it was revealed that a Women’s North American Championship is being added to the field of titles in NXT. 

NXT General Manager Ava appeared in-ring at Spring Breakin’ and broke the news that the first Women’s North American Champion will be crowned at Battleground in a Ladder match. The first men’s North American Champion was crowned in a Ladder match at TakeOver: New Orleans in 2018

There is going to be a combine on 5/7 and the 12 best performers in the combine will compete in qualifying matches. The six winners of those matches will make up the Ladder match field at Battleground. 

Individually, Jaida Parker, Sol Ruca, Arianna Grace and Michin appeared to stake their claim to being in the bout. A brawl broke out and it led to the women’s locker room clearing out.

WHERE’S SOL RUCA!?
tumblr_62fc7d477cf064b8bb9b66a58db83c78_b16509cd_250

Another secondary title AND another ladder match? Sign me up!

Given the injury rate for women in NXT, a ladder match seems like a curious choice.

Unless this is Shawn throwing his equivalent of a “chicken pox party” and trying to get everybody exposed to torn ACLs at once.

1 Like

It’s been like two weeks since there was a ladder match so thank god we get another one

1 Like

You’re the only person I hear take this shot consistently, how many women have torn their ACL’s?

The only thing I can think of as to why the NXT women are tearing their ACLs at a higher rate then others is that many of them are former D1 athletes who likely have had more stress on their knees then the average Indy wrestler. With that said, I’m really not aware of the actual injury or who has been injured which is why I’m asking.

Off hand, I don’t think it’s fair to tell women they aren’t allowed to wrestle certain matches because they are too fragile. So unless there is concrete proof that match style injures the women, I can’t blame Shawn for this decision.

Hopefully though if there is a problem WWE is looking into the “why”.

1 Like

I think there is also something to be considered is that there are no full-time female trainers in NXT.
I am not insinuating that they are fragile or shouldn’t be doing certain matches.

But there is definitely cause for concern when young women are getting injuries that seem to indicate some sort of issue in the training or environment. I also am not sure if its all ACL injuries - but it seems like a bunch of their female talent is on the DL.

EDIT. Seems like the following women are out with torn ACLs…

• Charlotte
  • Shotzi
  • Sonya Deville
  • Cora Jade
  • Dakota Kai
  • Nikkita Lyons (ACL and meniscus)

Other NXT injuries

• Dani Palmer - double hip surgery
  • Wendy Choo - unknown long term injury
  • Sol Ruca missed a year for an ACL injury.
1 Like

Some of it is just about the human body. Nothing to do with men vs. women, but size and muscle mass are a factor when you’re talking about falling off a ladder or even going over the top rope to the floor. You can see it in Battle Royals… a 5’3" person going over the top rope is going to look like a dangerous bump even executed properly, while a 6’3" person lands on their feet half the time.

1 Like

Female athletes are two to eight more times likely to experience ACL tears than male athletes.

2 Likes

Definitely seems like as good a reason to have female coaches who understands these facts.

I have to imagine that your use of the word “full time” means that Sara Amato is technically part time (I’m assuming she is still there).

I don’t disagree, it would be nice if the WWE had more female trainers, however I don’t think that is going to reduce injuries as knee injuries in women’s sports has always been and always will be an issue. Like @xaaronx stated, women are much more likely to suffer these injuries then men for a multitude of reasons. Why is it happening in WWE more then anywhere else? IMO, like I said earlier many are former athletes, and no other wrestling promotion gives as many women the opportunity to perform in ring like the WWE does. And before it “goes there” I’m not implying that WWE is a savior for women, I am simply talking about in-ring opportunity right now.

But yes, I do agree that more women should be there to work with the women.

1 Like

Who are the women out there that are training at a high-level? Not saying that to imply that there aren’t any, I just honestly don’t know of any besides Sara Amato.

I assume Natty Neidhart will be in that role at some point, but she seems pretty set in her role as the credible jobber to younger women who can’t carry a match yet.

1 Like