WWE adds Jeff Hardy vs. Sheamus to Backlash next weekend

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/06/05/wwe-adds-jeff-hardy-vs-sheamus-to-backlash-next-weekend/

On Friday Night SmackDown, a new match was announced for the WWE Backlash pay-per-view event that takes place next Sunday at the WWE Performance Center.

Following the hit-and-run angle from last week’s episode, a match between Jeff Hardy and Sheamus will take place at Backlash.

SmackDown opened with Hardy’s rebuttal stating he was attacked last week and then woke up reeking of alcohol when the officers were arresting him. He added that a witness saw a man with “red hair and a red beard” attack him and accused Sheamus of framing him.

Below is the updated card for Backlash:
*Edge vs. Randy Orton
*Drew McIntyre vs. Bobby Lashley for the WWE title
*Braun Strowman vs. The Miz & John Morrison in a 2-on-1 handicap match for the Universal title
*Asuka vs. Nia Jax for the Raw women’s title
*Jeff Hardy vs. Sheamus

If Randy screws the match up. They will have an angle like “oh no Randy it could have been the best match ever but you messed it up”. I can only see that.

I love cherry picking matches and I look at this card, there’s nothing enticing for me. Nia and Asuka could be alright. I would add a stipulation : loser has to go back to developmental.

Same. The only match I’m interested in is Edge/Orton, and even that is mostly from a “can’t turn away from a trainwreck” perspective. Shame is it could probably be a good-to-great match if it wasn’t being sabotaged by the marketing. Imagine a baseball team selling tickets by promising that their pitcher was going to throw a perfect game, then he “only” throws a no-hitter.

For me, it’s not how they promoted the match, it’s just Randy vs Edge doesn’t work period. Randy is slow so he’s better vs cruiserweights.