WWE adds Raw women's title match to Elimination Chamber

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/02/08/wwe-adds-raw-womens-title-match-to-elimination-chamber/

On Friday evening, the WWE announced that Ronda Rousey will be defending the Raw women’s title against Ruby Riott at the Elimination Chamber card.

The angle was set up this past Monday on Raw after Rousey defeated Liv Morgan and Sarah Logan in back-to-back matches with Riott leaving with her teammates instead of accepting Rousey’s challenge on the spot.

Next Sunday’s event takes place from the Toyota Center in Houston and below is the updated lineup:
*Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Mustafa Ali vs. Randy Orton vs Jeff Hardy in an Elimination Chamber match for the WWE title
*Sasha Banks & Bayley vs. Liv Morgan & Sarah Logan vs. Nia Jax & Tamina vs. The IIconics vs. Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville vs. Naomi & Carmella in an Elimination Chamber match for the vacant WWE women’s tag titles
*Ronda Rousey vs. Ruby Riott for the Raw women’s title
*Shane McMahon and The Miz vs. The Usos for the SmackDown tag titles
*Buddy Murphy vs. Akira Tozawa for the Cruiserweight title

Ruby Riott certainly gets the lame duck challenger role.

Last year she was the challenger for Charlotte’s belt at Fast Lane last year when we all knew that they were going with Charlotte VS Asuka at W/M.

Now she gets to play victim to Ronda

I thought her match with Charlotte at Fast Lane last year was pretty good. I’m expecting her to be a solid challenger for Ronda as well. Ruby is an underrated talent and hope she gets to be champion someday.

I don’t think WWE will ever see her as a big time player for them but they also know she is really talented and can be a very valuable role player for them. They know she can make Ronda look good and carry her on the mic and the ring.

Why does the champion selected by the Rumble winner need to have a title match at the in between PPVs. Just do tags. This is where New Japan gets it right. Once a challenger is established, no more predictable unnecessary title matches.

FFS imagine Rhonda got hurt working a singles match right now where she was 100% winning and there’s not story behind it.