WWE announces matches for the WrestleMania kickoff show

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/04/02/wwe-announces-matches-for-the-wrestlemania-kickoff-show/

On Monday’s episode of Raw, the following three matches were announced for the kickoff portion of WrestleMania this Sunday, beginning at 5 pm Eastern on the WWE Network:
*Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
*WrestleMania Women’s Battle Royal
*Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali for the vacant Cruiserweight title

The decision to put both battle royals on the kickoff show is a bit puzzling. As you guys mentioned last week, having at least one of the battle royals on the main show to serve as a buffer between two big matches would have been a good idea. Maybe this isn’t completely set in stone, and they will come to their senses.

1 Like

That’s a big slap in the face for the cruiserweights. They deserve to be on the main card.

I would have put the women’s battle royal on the main card but I don’t know what I would replace it with, maybe the US title 4 way.

I have to disagree, I don’t think the cruiserweights deserve a slot on the main show at all. Unfortunately, whether it’s the booking or the performers, they just haven’t connected with the crowd. Recently, it’s gotten a bit better, but if you go through the entire wrestlemania card, can you honestly say any cruiserweights is more deserving and/or more over than anyone on the card?

The pre-show is still a good slot for them, have a great match and it’ll help to get people to watch their product.

I got a kick out of (Cole, I think?) saying that the battle royal has launched the careers of Baron Corbin & Mojo Rawley. Yet who is front and centre in the battle royal graphic? Baron & Mojo. Some career they’ve had, if they are back in the same spot.

Consider this. The crowd at Wrestlemania will have fans who KNOW the 205Live storylines. And the crowd at mania is what other fans emulate.

I think that statement is true about the Raw after Mania crowd. Not Wrestlemania itself.