WWE announces the opening and closing matches for night one of WM

Originally published at WWE announces the opening and closing matches for night one of WM

WWE has confirmed the opening and closing matches for the first night of WrestleMania 37 with the SmackDown’s Women’s Championship match closing the show.

On Friday, it was revealed that Sasha Banks and Bianca Belair will close the first night of WrestleMania making it the second time in WrestleMania history that the women have closed the show.

Belair won the Royal Rumble match in January that led to the championship match with Banks, who had held the title since October.

WWE has also announced that the WWE Championship match between Bobby Lashley and Drew McIntyre will be the first match on Saturday’s show at Raymond James Stadium.

There are currently seven matches scheduled for each night of WrestleMania in Tampa, Florida. Each show begins at 8 pm ET and preceded by one-hour kickoff shows on both nights.

Saturday 8 pm ET – WrestleMania 37 Night 1
*SmackDown Women’s Championship: Sasha Banks (champion) vs. Bianca Belair
*WWE Championship: Bobby Lashley (champion) vs. Drew McIntyre
*The Miz & John Morrison vs. Bad Bunny & Damian Priest
*Raw Tag Team Championship: Kofi Kingston & Xavier Woods (champions) vs. AJ Styles & Omos
*Seth Rollins vs. Cesaro
*Steel Cage Match: Shane McMahon vs. Braun Strowman
*Tag Team Turmoil: Lana & Naomi vs. Dana Brooke & Mandy Rose vs. The Riott Squad vs. Tamina & Natalya

Sunday at 8 pm – WrestleMania 37 Night 2
*WWE Universal Championship: Roman Reigns (champion) vs. Edge vs. Daniel Bryan
*Raw Women’s Championship: Asuka (champion) vs. Rhea Ripley
*Randy Orton vs. The Fiend Bray Wyatt
*WWE Intercontinental Championship, Nigerian Drum Fight: Big E. (champion) vs. Apollo Crews
*Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn w/ Logan Paul as Zayn’s special guest
*WWE United States Championship: Riddle (champion) vs. Sheamus
*WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship: Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler (champions) vs. TBA

Love it. I’m so happy for both Sasha and Bianca, they both earned this, I hope they tear the house down.

1 Like

I think this also signals that there won’t be any kick-off matches.

Having Drew being the first superstar to be in front of an audience in over a year, assures a monster face reaction.

2 Likes

Did they though? I mean, Sasha has definitely earned this. Shes been one of the best parts of the pandemic era, but I cant tell you a damn thing that Bianca has done yet to earn a WM main event spot to close the show. If anything, that should be Bayleys spot and they should have held off on Sasha/Bayley.

Drew/Lashley on the other hand definitely deserve that spot. Drew deserves to have the moment that he never got last year and Lashley has been built super strong and deserves that spot. With this match going on first, its pretty much telling you Drew is winning.

100% agree with you on the Bayley part. Back in the fall, what I wanted was for Sasha to get drafted to Raw after Bayleys heel turn before getting a chance to get her hands on her. At the following PPV’s I would have had Sasha attempt to get her hands on Bayley only to get held back by security. Then you have Sasha win the RR, and face Bayley at Mania. That would have been awesome.

With all that said, they didnt do that, but I’m not going to let that hinder my enjoyment of what we are getting. I think Sasha has been one of the best things on TV this year, which you see to agree with. Bianca, I’m personally very invested in her story. I loved the chronicle on her, I loved the promo she did after the RR, and I feel she has been booked strong. Despite some odd booking, I care about seeing her win the title, and would love for her to end the show with the title win. Now we can discuss the booking over the past few months for this feud, thats a different conversation, but as for the performers, I want to see them main event.

As for Drew and Lashley, meh. For me, its the opposite of what I just said. The booking of each of these guys has been amazing over this past year, but I’m just not emotionally invested. I like Drew, but seeing him win the title for the 3rd time is just not something I’m really looking forward to even with fans now. As for Lashley, I’ve never been that into his character. He’s got a great look, he’s good in the ring, but I’ve just never emotionally connected. Like I said above its literally the opposite of Bianca, her storylines have been meh, but I really care, Lashley’s storyline (lately at least) have been good, but I’m just not that into him.

Just my thoughts based on what I am into at the moment.

Drew and Bobby deserve it way more.Any other spin on this is just point scoring

To each their own man, I’d prefer Bianca/Sasha, if you prefer Lashley/Drew, that’s cool. I’m just not that into Drew vs Lashley.

I also think that it’s important to have the rumble winners both in the legit main events, otherwise I feel it devalues the Rumble.

I have no idea what you mean by point scoring.

1 Like