WWE Champion Brock Lesnar To Enter Royal Rumble Match At #1 Spot

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/01/06/wwe-champion-brock-lesnar-to-enter-royal-rumble-match-at-1-spot/

To kick off the first episode of Monday Night RAW in 2020, Paul Heyman and WWE Champion Brock Lesnar appeared in front of the live crowd in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Paul Heyman stated that he was going to reveal Brock Lesnar’s plans for the 2020 Royal Rumble pay-per-view on January 26th in Houston, Texas. For the first time since 2017, Brock Lesnar will be a part of the Royal Rumble match and Brock is slated to be the first entrant into the match.

UNPRECEDENTED.@HeymanHustle just announced that #WWEChampion @BrockLesnar is entering the Men's #RoyalRumble Match…and he's doing it as the No. 1️⃣ ENTRANT! #RAW pic.twitter.com/CzDfsQjkyD

— WWE (@WWE) January 7, 2020

Heyman did not say that Brock is defending the WWE Championship in the Royal Rumble but just that he is entering the match and will be the first entrant. The lineup for the Royal Rumble pay-per-view includes the men’s and women’s Rumble matches and Roman Reigns and Charlotte Flair are official for their respective Rumbles. Bray Wyatt versus Daniel Bryan for the Universal Championship is scheduled for the pay-per-view along with Becky Lynch defending her RAW Women’s Championship against Asuka.

Following tonight’s edition of RAW, Wai Ting, John Pollock and WH Park are uploading a new Rewind-A-RAW from Japan.

Unprecedented except for when WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns entered at #1 in 2016. But otherwise, completely unprecedented.

1 Like

I think this makes the match more intriguing and sets up for some nice potential showdowns during the match, if booked proper.

2 Likes

Poor Dio Maddin gonna come in at #3 Get 45 seconds of offense and get eliminated

Goldberg #29. Matt Riddle #30. Riddle eliminates both to win.

So, basically lazy writing… instead of trying to come up with a number 1 contender for Brock, they’ll just have someone eliminate him to set up a wrestlemania match.

If using the Rumble to set up WrestleMania programs is lazy writing, WWE has been lazy since 1988.

Or it’s just simple and effective. I prefer that to an overly complicated setup that would probably go off the rails knowing WWE. I’m sure they are saving the batshit ridiculous storyline for Bray Wyatt.

3 Likes

I disagree, I think this is a way to find someone to build a program. They can book it any number of ways.

The person who eliminates Brock, A person who eliminates more people perhaps? This is the WWE though so I can’t imagine they will use this to its fullest potential.

I do think they will book him to break the record of eliminations during a single rumble…

If nothing else, that’s a good way to mow through a bunch of the geeks who are just filling out the field. Have Brock toss 14 of them to start the proceedings, and then essentially have a 15-man Rumble where a good portion of the guys could conceivably win the thing.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’d have a problem with that. I used to love the Rumble when I was younger and maybe it was because of how it was booked back then but I don’t find it to be the spectacle it used to be.

A lot of promotions are phasing it out as a legit measuring stick for talent, if this is a new way to present it, and a way for Brock to eat a few Legends and some of the geeks, it couldn’t be worse than HIAC 2019.

What? The lazy writing here would have been to place someone like a Drew McIntyre or Ricochet in a title match that the whole world knows that they are never going to win.

This, on the other hand, is brilliant.

1 Like

I mean lazy in the way that nobody seems to be an actual contender to the belt anymore. We can go 3 months without seeing a title defense, and there has been no build to anything, outside of the program with Rey. I guess I’m just so over this Brock, never show up, part time, absentee champion. It devalues the rest of the roster.

I actually like it. Makes the rumble way more interesting. Like to see Riddle eliminate him to build to a match at mania

Cain Velasquez will eliminate him setting up a match at wrestlemania.

I disagree. I personally love this idea. I am afraid how they will execute it, but I love the initial idea. You can do this once in a while when you have the right guy… and shake the dull, stagnant disaster the Royal Rumble had become the last few years.

I wish they would put his title on the line in the Rumble. It would be an easy way to take the title off him if you don’t want to have to beat him.

What happens if he wins ? Will he face himself ? He can’t win !

That is why I wish they would just make it for the title, it would leave more doubt about whether he could last the whole time.

I mean if he does win I guess he could challenge the Fiend (or whoever the Universal Champion is) to try to unify the World titles. But that seems far less interesting, and I’m not sure how they would handle that after the fact, make him Brock 2 belts and have him defend in 2 matches? I think unifying that level of title could be interesting then have that be the attraction title that gets defended at big events then have the US and Intercontinental belts be the top titles on their respective brands.

That won’t happen though, so probably he won’t win, and this is just to set up an angle for him at the next major show, because anything else right now would feel rushed. He really should never have been made champion again at least at that time, it served no purpose and ruined a good run by Kofi. They should have kept the belt on Kofi, had Brock do the same feuds he has been doing up to now (Rey and Cain) neither of which needed a title to be important. Then he could have been all set to face Kofi at the Rumble.

Wait, it is official that this is NOT for the title?

What freaking sense does this make?

FN WWE…