WWE confirms positive COVID-19 case within the company

Originally published at WWE confirms positive COVID-19 case within the company - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

The WWE has confirmed a positive COVID-19 case within the company. The news was first reported by Fightful and the site noted that they’d been contacted by members of the WWE roster about an alleged COVID-19 case in WWE. The site obtained a memo that was sent out to those in the company about the positive test. WWE has since confirmed the news with the following statement:

“A WWE employee has tested positive for COVID-19. We believe this matter is low risk to WWE talent and staff, as the individual and a roommate became symptomatic in the days following exposure to two people working in acute health care on the evening of March 26, after WWE’s TV production on a closed set was already complete. The employee had no contact with anyone from WWE since being exposed to those two individuals, is doing well, and made a complete recovery.”

The aforementioned memo read that the individual who contracted the virus gave consent to share his or her name, their status and added that they are feeling better.

Pro Wrestling Sheet added to the report and according to the site, the on-screen talent went out to dinner with friends that work in healthcare after wrapping up the latest set of WWE tapings. The talent is not a member of the in-ring roster. The person began to experience symptoms, went to get tested and the test came back positive. The individual immediately went into quarantine and has been in quarantine the entire time. The site added that the person was cleared of the virus this week.

POST Wrestling was able to confirm Pro Wrestling Sheet’s report that WWE is set to go live for RAW, SmackDown and NXT from the WWE Performance Center. The company was slated to mass tape episodes of their weekly shows at the PC this week.

When Rewind A Smackdown ended they joked about not talking until Monday because hopefully this would be a slow weekend, this is unbelievable

2 Likes

WWE will not cancel anything until someone higher up tells them too.

I wonder what other non essential companies in Florida are making of this, surely they’ll be wondering why WWE are allowed to continue.

Is it time for The Florida Government to release some sort of statement

2 Likes

In the NBA one player being positive shuts down the league indefinitely.

Meanwhile in WWE land… They’re going live three times a week.

This company is fucked up.

4 Likes

Wrestlers need to refuse to show up, starting with Daniel Bryan.

7 Likes

I feel like Thanos that this was inevitable

2 Likes

I just don’t understand why they are so adament about never having an off season, even in time’s like these it baffles me. I know they have TV obligations but use it to build the talent by showing the Network documentaries etc. After Mania was the perfect time to take a break.

Tone deaf tone deaf tone deaf :man_facepalming:

Bound to happen sooner or later. Any chance this is the Miz, BTW? Cause I know he was sent home sick and the main reason Roman got some sense in his head to pull back until this thing settles.

They specified it was an on-air talent not on the active roster. So it has to be an announcer. Judging by who’s been on sets recently, I would only guess that it is Aiden English.

Could be a referee.

I like how they are so sure that this on-air talent caught it from the health care workers they had dinner with, like it couldn’t have been caught from an asymptomatic WWE employee or during their travel to get to the show.

1 Like

Hate to speculate but could it be Gronk?

Florida govt says they never got direct orders from the federal govt so they haven’t shut everything down. Florida governor even recently said that no one under 25 has died of COVID, which is factually wrong. He’s even toying with opening schools.

1 Like

Cancelled my network sub and TSN package a couple days ago. I have 0 interest in watching either WWE or AEW put their talent (and others) at risk for empty area wrestling.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s so hard to enjoy these shows. I tried one episode of AEW with empty arena and although it was nice to have some wrestling on I couldn’t fully enjoy it because I was so worried about everyone. Since then I haven’t been able to watch because I know it won’t be something I can relax and enjoy.

This is a horrible disease - we are seeing a lot of death. I hope these guys and girls can stay safe

2 Likes

At the very least - and this doesn’t make it excusable - but at the very least AEW or what Impact are doing - is they have done bulk tapings. It’s still foolish and reckless - but it’s one and done. And doesn’t continue to put people at risk.

Meanwhile WWE is doing it three times A WEEK for the foreseeable future! The amount of people being put at risk needlessly multiple times a week is absolutely inexcusable.

There is no need for multiple live shows a week. I’m not even for doing any shows right now - massive bulk tapings by anybody included. But at least with that, you do it once, everybody quarantines - and hopefully everyone is okay.

THREE TIMES A WEEK is rediculous, and how they are getting away with this is absolutely insane.

2 Likes

True. AEW’s (and whoever else that’s still taping shows) biggest PR savior in this mess has been that the largest and most visible promotion in their industry has been even less responsible than they have.

2 Likes

I’d also argue that WWE is literally being the most reckless form of entertainment in the whole world at this time.

3 Likes

Despite UFC’s best efforts…

4 Likes