WWE NXT 2.0 notes: WALTER refers to himself as 'Gunther', 1/25 lineup, Sarray, Ollie Jayy

Originally published at WWE NXT 2.0 notes: WALTER refers to himself as 'Gunther', 1/25 lineup

WALTER and Roderick Strong headlined the 1/18 edition of NXT 2.0. WALTER defeated Strong and post-match, he stopped the ring announcer and stated that the winner of the match is “Gunther”. WWE recently filed a trademark on ‘Gunther Stark’. The final images of the show saw Imperium (Fabian Aichner, Marcel Barthel & WALTER) brawling with Diamond Mine (Roderick Strong, Julius & Brutus Creed). It was confirmed by Wade Barrett at the start of the show that WALTER is a part of NXT 2.0 full-time now.

The ring isn't big enough to hold a brawl of this magnitude!! #Imperium #DiamondMine#WWENXT @WalterAUT @Marcel_B_WWE @FabianAichner @roderickstrong @JuliusCreedWWE @BrutusCreedwwe pic.twitter.com/FLEQUtLsY5

— WWE (@WWE) January 19, 2022

The 2022 men’s Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic is underway. The Creed Brothers bested Josh Briggs and Brooks Jenson in a first-round matchup. Later in the show, Edris Enofé and Malik Blade scored a win over Legado Del Fantasma (Raul Mendoza & Joaquin Wilde) to advance to the next round of the tournament. Legado’s loss came about when NXT Champion Bron Breakker carried Santos Escobar away from the ringside area which caught the attention of Joaquin Wilde and led to the victory for Enofé and Blade.

On the 1/25 program, Jacket Time (KUSHIDA & Ikemen Jiro) are taking on MSK (Wes Lee & Nash Carter) along with Grizzled Young Veterans (Zack Gibson & James Drake) taking on Andre Chase and Bodhi Hayward in first-round matches.

.@bronbreakkerwwe out here to make sure it's a fair fight between @MalikBladeWWE & @Edris_Enofe and #LegadoDelFantasma.#WWENXT @EscobarWWE @joaquinwilde_ @RaulMendozaWWE pic.twitter.com/j2EgPF6Nw2

A video package aired to promote the return of Sarray. She has not had a match on NXT TV since losing to Kay Lee Ray on the 11/9 show. Sarray sported a new look in the video package.

.@SarrayWWE returns SOON! ☀️#WWENXT pic.twitter.com/384L3a5nNG

— WWE NXT (@WWENXT) January 19, 2022

For the first time since September, Dante Chen was back on NXT 2.0. He had been out of action with an injury along with mourning the loss of his father. Dante took on Guru Raaj, but their match was interrupted by the returning Duke Hudson. Hudson was last featured on NXT TV when he took on Cameron Grimes in a No Holds Barred match.

.@sixftfiiiiive sending a message to the entire #WWENXT locker room at the expense of @DanteChenWWE and @gururaajwwe! pic.twitter.com/3dWaKfpTNB

There were multiple announcements made for next week’s show including a six-woman tag that will see Toxic Attraction (Mandy Rose, Gigi Dolin & Jacy Jayne) take on Kay Lee Ray, Indi Hartwell and Persia Pirotta. This match came about after Mandy cost Kay Lee Ray her match against Ivy Nile. It was Lee Ray’s first singles loss since she joined NXT U.S. in August 2021. Hartwell and Pirotta came to the ring to even the numbers game.

Boa is set to go one-on-one with Solo Sikoa on 1/25. Their bout will be a Falls Count Anywhere match. In addition to that, Cameron Grimes is taking on Tony D’Angelo and the winner of that match is next in line to challenge Carmelo Hayes for his North American Championship.

Ollie Jayy, who created one of the NXT 2.0 theme songs is scheduled to appear next week to perform live.

There were two encounters involving Joe Gacy, Harland and Odyssey Jones. Jones is on crutches and said he’d be out of action for a few weeks with a sprained knee and Gacy opened the door for him so he could exit the area. Later in the show, Harland attacked Jones and targeted his knee.

“Gunther,” the trademark they filed for the name, is the name of an infamous Nazi U-Boat Captain.

A Multi-billion dollar company and its research and/or creative support staff can’t quickly Google a name.

What a company.

1 Like

As a German I can tell you Günther, how you would write it correctly, is usually the name for 55 year old men or your passed away grandpa since the name was common in the late 1920’s and then had a bit of a revival in the 1960’s. Walther by the way is the name of a famous pistol and Walther Model Hitler’s favorite Field Marshall. You will have a hard time to find a German name for me not to link to a Nazi in 10 seconds.

1 Like

Is it just “Gunther” that was linked to a Nazi? Or was there a last name as well? If its just a first name, I think like @Gerrit said above, you can likely link to any older German name if you try. Or is there a last name as well? I didnt watch NXT or listen to the Podcast so I truly dont know.

1 Like

It’s not just the first name; the name Gunther Stark has been trademarked. If you googled the name before all this went down, the records of the Nazi officer were the first results.

2 Likes

2 Likes
1 Like

I did some digging. There is a U-Boot Kapitänleutnant whose Name was Günther Stark. Günther is a stereotypical first name for Germans as you can see in many US movies or TV productions such as Friends. Stark means “strong” in English so I get why they choose that name. German Wikipedia has nothing on Günther Stark the U-Boot captain but on three other Günther Stark’s. The U-Boot commander started commanding his U-Boot in March 1943 and died 15 months later. He and his crew never sank any allied ships and were probably sunk by the British Airforce. I will dig deeper to find out how Günther Starks world or political views were like.

1 Like

GERMAN PRESS covering this! I didn’t seek this out, a friend on another board shared it:

Wirbel um Nazi-Namen in der WWE - WWE-Fans aufgebracht: Wirbel um Nazi-Namen für Walter - Sport-Mix - Bild.de