WWE Raw's third hour hit hard against NBA & DNC coverage

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/08/18/wwe-raws-third-hour-hit-hard-against-nba-dnc-coverage/

The go-home edition of WWE Raw heading into SummerSlam saw the show face competition from the DNC convention and the NBA playoffs along with a big loss in the third hour.

Monday’s three-hour episode averaged 1,643,000 viewers and would be Raw’s fourth-lowest viewership in modern history, down 4.5 percent from last week.

The show began with 1,730,000 viewers in the first hour, it fell by 2 percent in the second hour to 1,697,000 and had a larger decline of 11.5 percent in the third hour to 1,502,000 viewers. The third hour was the second-lowest hour in the modern history of Raw behind the third hour of the July 27th episode that averaged 1,493,000 viewers.

In the 18-49 demographic, the show improved by 2 percent with a 0.48 rating, however, the main demo dropped 15 percent in the third hour. This led to Raw finishing 9th, 10th & 13th among Monday’s cable ratings.

They faced competition with two NBA playoff games and coverage of the DNC convention that ran on three of the big four networks. The convention began at 10 pm Eastern while CNN’s coverage started an hour earlier. The convention could explain the poor showing of the third hour of Raw.

The first night of the DNC convention was watched by 18 million people across NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX News, and MSNBC.

The Dallas Mavericks vs. L.A Clippers game at 9:15 pm on ESPN won the night on cable with a 1.01 rating in the demo with 2,278,000 viewers followed by CNN’s coverage of the convention, and the earlier game between the Philadelphia 76ers and Boston Celtics.

Compared to last week, Raw rebounded with adults 18-34 which were up by 27 percent back to a 0.28 rating, which was its same rating on August 3rd after falling to a 0.22 last week. However, that demo dropped 27 percent in the last hour.

Females 18-49 were up by 10 percent this week, but also experienced a 17 percent decline in the third hour.

Every key demo fell in the third hour by double digits led by females 12-34 (36 percent), adults 18-34 (27 percent), and adults 18-49 (15 percent). Adults over 50 had the smallest drop by 12 percent but it was the continual pattern since Raw Underground began as adults over 50 watched the first two hours and tuned out in the third.

The 12-34 audience losses are notable because that is the audience that Raw Underground did best with during Week 1 on August 3rd. Those audiences grew by 18 percent with men and 12.5 percent with women on August 3rd and fell by 16 percent and 36 percent respectively this week, and that cannot be attributed entirely to the competition.

Next week’s competition will be similar to Raw going against the RNC convention and the NBA playoffs, but it will be following SummerSlam along with the novelty of the WWE ThunderDome concept to partially offset it.

This week, Raw finished ahead of last week’s episode of AEW across all the key demos.

Here is a breakdown of the demos and how the first hour to compared to the third:

ADULTS 18-49
This week: 0.48 (+2 percent)
Hour 1-3: -15 percent

FEMALES 18-49
This week: 0.33 (+10 percent)
Hour 1-3: -17 percent

MALES 18-49
This week: 0.63 (+3 percent)
Hour 1-3: -13 percent

ADULTS 18-34

This week: 0.28 (+27 percent)
Hour 1-3: -27 percent

FEMALES 12-34
This week: 0.19 (Even)
Hour 1-3: -36 percent

MALES 12-34
This week: 0.34 (+6.25 percent)
Hour 1-3: -16 percent

ADULTS 25-54
This week: 0.60 (-1.5 percent)
Hour 1-3: -13 percent

ADULT 50+
This week: 0.80 (-6 percent)
Hour 1-3: -12 percent

Below Deck was Above Raw

I Think the NBA playoffs are more reason why raw is done then the DNC
NBA caters more to the young demo crowd and any older WWE fan most likely are republicans so the RNC will hurt WWE much more.
however the thunderdome and fall out from summer slam may help raw next week

interesting time for WWE they will have to deal with NBA playoffs and seemingly the NFL until Rumble time they are going to have to get very creative as thy are entering there normally annual down period already being down,

side note I think the Ninjas, Retribution and Raw Underground is throwing too many stuff at the wall all at once and to see what sticks to many people running around in pajamas that are nothing but faceless jobbers!

The ratings for DNC were huge. And I would imagine more 18-39 watch DNC than you think especially since Obama’s appeal to them

NBA playoffs also air at odd times and you only really getting one prime time game. Plus with the bubble not sure the interest level is the same as years past

1 Like

Agreed with all of this, and I just want to add, its also 1st round of the playoffs. I’m a huge Raps fan, but watching them squash the Nets is not exactly keeping me glued to my TV for the entire 3 hours.

1 Like

" The 10 p.m. coverage hour of the first day across ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC averaged 18.68 million viewers, according to The Hollywood Reporter. This year’s number is a 28% decline from ratings four years ago when the convention was live. It does not include viewers who watched the event over streaming platforms or on other networks."

DNC is even suffering being virtual (also later on in the year)
now i wont say it didn’t have an impact at all i am just saying it was the start of the NBA playoffs which is a much bigger factor as far as cross over fans in the key demo. its the bigger issue going forward weeks from now for sure. you are right the key demo are more DNC then RNC however my point (and opinion) which could be dead wrong :slight_smile: is I dont think alot of politically activated DNC members watch WWE sure some but not 500k ( not anymore) i think more republicans or disinterested politically people watch WWE why the RNC is worrying me more next week (They tend to be older and watch traditional tv) unless big summerslam fall out or a big return.
prob key demo will be up next week but overall will be down or stay the same.

calipers played last night that was a big game.1.45 rating in males 18-49
number one all in rating (not total viewers)

even the 1 40 pm nba game on espn did a better rating then wwe 10 pm hour so nba playoffs appetite is big at least in comparing whatever is on tv if you want to go down nba vs nba rating year after year then that could and probably will be a different story.

Raps were done way before raw the clippers game during most of raw was really close and compelling!

Ya I know, I was watching it on and off at 4. I was just making the point that these are not the “money” games. Kawhi vs Luca is intriguing, but it’s not lakers vs clippers. I still can’t believe that kid is 21.

You know what happened the last time a team
Lost game 1 to the Magic? They went on to win the NBA title and their superstar went to another country.

Although a Raps Repeat would be best I’ll take that as well :slight_smile:

that’s why going forward each week for raw and smack down it be harder more and more “money games” that said first day of nba playoffs in more then a year! the anticipation was there to check it out even though the nba to do a mini season did diluted the anticipation and in the nba where the disparity from good teams to bad teams is great so certain teams should easily win. the first night everyone was intrigued the rest of first round may not be as money but later on they will be be a tough road ahead for WWE.

1 Like