WWE releases the brackets for the King of the Ring

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/08/16/wwe-releases-the-brackets-for-the-king-of-the-ring/

WWE has released the brackets for the King of the Ring tournament that begins this Monday on Raw from St. Paul, Minnesota.

The 16-man tournament will feature talent from Raw and SmackDown. The semi-finals are being advertised for Raw and SmackDown at Madison Square Garden on September 9th and 10th. Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that the finals will be on September 15th at the Clash of Champions card in Charlotte, North Carolina.

On the Raw side of the bracket, these are the first-round matches:
*Samoa Joe vs. Cesaro
*Ricochet vs. Drew McIntyre
*Cedric Alexander vs. Sami Zayn
*Baron Corbin vs. The Miz

The SmackDown bracket features these opening round matches:
*Kevin Owens vs. Elias
*Ali vs. Buddy Murphy
*Chad Gable vs. Shelton Benjamin
*Andrade vs. Apollo Crews

I can’t wait for this one.

I can’t see Owens/Elias being any better.

So do they refer to him as King Baron or King Corbin?

Interesting choices
Surprising to me that one of Drew or Ricochet will be out round 1. To some extent also true with Elias and Owens (though maybe Shane screws Owens in that match).

Some look like they will be good matches like Benjamin and Gable but I really don’t see one of them making it super far. On the Smackdown side all matches except for Owens and Elias look like really good in ring contests if they are given time. Same on the Raw side Corbin and Miz looks dull but the rest should be good matches.

This tournament has real potential if they let these guys work! Actually, I’d rather see these matches be house show style than made for TV.

Expecting a Drew v Ali final

If given enough time, Samoa Joe/Cesaro and Cedric vs Sami Zayn can be awesome matches. I’m also looking forward to a possible KO vs Andrade match.