XFL announces its eight teams and stadiums for 2020 season

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/12/05/xfl-announces-its-eight-teams-and-stadiums-for-2020-season/

The XFL held their press conference Wednesday to formally announce the eight cities that will be host teams along with the venues they will play in.

The following teams will be part of the XFL’s return in 2020, which will launch on the weekend of February 8th, 2020, one week after the completion of the Super Bowl:

New York (MetLife Stadium)

Dallas (Globe Life Park)

Houston (TDECU Stadium)

St. Louis (The Dome at America’s Center)

Los Angeles (StubHub Center)

Seattle (CenturyLink Field)

Tampa Bay (Raymond James Stadium)

Washington, D.C. (Audi Field)

XFL commissioner Oliver Luck stated their goal is to wrap the games within three hours, simplifying rules, and focusing on player safety. They are planning to make the league family friendly with more affordable ticket prices than the NFL.

They will be implementing a drug testing program for its players.

The head coaches of each franchise will double as the team’s General Manager.

LA didn’t need another team, I think Oakland would’ve been a great get for the league, that city has a loyal and were done dirty.

Also…family friendly football sucks, should’ve adopted their old image and tried getting the fans who are turned off by non defensive football where every hit is a flag.

1 Like

When you look at a list of the largest cities in the U.S. some of these make sense (NY, LA, Dallas, Houston, Washington) even though they already have one-to-two football teams as well as basketball and hockey teams that will be playing in the spring. It’s kind of a surprise they didn’t go for Chicago or Atlanta too.

Seattle’s a smart choice too since it doesn’t have an NHL or NBA team (yet!) to compete with. And St Louis since they just lost their team. But Tampa Bay seems like a weird choice.

Just because there are a lot of people though doesn’t mean you can convince even a fraction of 1% of the population to come watch if it sucks or seems like it might suck. To me it seems doomed to failure trying to been seen as a NFL competitor but in the spring. They should have gone the more “Indy” route and tried to fix the Arena leagues business model of creating a minor league in smaller cities without a football team where they could develop passionate fan bases. But when you have $100’s of millions of dollars to spend I guess you can do whatever you want…

well the cities are probably to deal with the investors or owners are located. Chicago probably be to cold and hard to have games in February or march and asking an audience to come out pay money to sit in the cold when its not an established team.

Tampa bay might have to do with the proximity of WWE secondary base and many wrestlers live around there so might be able to do go to a game and do a signing or match or whatever if they want to incorporate wwe stardom into it. Also Florida has lax tax laws so could be a good tax break for them.

Atlanta would have been a really good choice I bet there are a lot of family falcon fans who can’t afford to go to the game also its a fairly warm client there that time of year more then northern states.

NHL just announced a Seattle team this week…incase the “(yet!)” was about the NBA.

In Texas San Antonio wold have been a smarter option then Dallas or Houston. While San Antonio is a smaller town they have only the Spurs and have always been a huge supported any football league that has put a team in that town

1 Like

I don’t see this league being much of a success or offering quality football that is exciting to watch. There’s such a gap in talent from even an NFL starter and an NFL backup . What talented football player is going to make the XFL his first choice league? Who is going to start at QB for these teams? Nathan Peterman? Johnny Manziel? A lot of questions, and I don’t see this league lasting long.

XFL commissioner Oliver Luck stated their goal is to wrap the games within three hours, simplifying rules, and focusing on player safety. They are planning to make the league family friendly with more affordable ticket prices than the NFL.

Why even bother using the name ‘XFL’ when it’s not ‘extreme’ and nothing like the original incarnation. Vince McMahon has decided to attach the bad reputation of the original XFL to what’s being described as essentially a (very) poor man’s watered down NFL.

Except not even the NFL markets itself as ‘family friendly’ and what’s ‘extreme’ about simplified rules or player safety? The original XFL was the exact opposite.

It could be Xtremely boring.

1 Like

They should sign Colin Kaepernick if they want press and eyeballs.

Not a chance. It’s an explicitly stated requirement that players stand for the anthem: Returning XFL to require players to stand for national anthem | The Hill

In fact it seems very clear that the national anthem controversy was a big contributing factor in Vince bringing back the XFL and this new ‘family friendly’ image they’re going for. Because in the mind of Vince and other conservative nutjobs peaceful protests about racial inequality and police brutality are anti-American and thus anti-family. This league is trying to target that audience, so Kap would be the last player they’d want in it.

Straight from the horses mouth:

“People don’t want social and political issues coming into play when they are trying to be entertained,” McMahon told ESPN in an interview. “We want someone who wants to take a knee to do their version of that on their personal time.”

1 Like

couldn’t they be sued collusion or whatever Colin is going after the NFL with there defense is that he is not NFL elite QB material (they have a smidgen of a right to get off on that technicality but surely not the XFL.) I guess XFL never his original employer. Funny thing about rich peoples morals if the XFL is on bankruptcy and signing Colin would get a huge tv/streaming deal how fast they would probably sign him. probably wont happen but I just meant if they want to make money sign him if not they don’t have a chance

Nah. You need the “LA EXTREME” to come back to defend their title.

Someone dust off Tommy Maddox. Tell him it’s time to defend his MVP title!

Still can’t get past the fact Vince started up a company named Alpha Entertainment. The man really is a knobhead.

From the very first day when they decided to use the word “Xtreme” in 2018, they’ve only shown how mind bogglingly out of touch they are.

It’s almost at the point where I have sympathy for how much money Vince is going to flush down the toilet.

It’s Xciting…add in a few numbers in the namr and you have pop culture right now.