Young Bucks confirm The Elite negotiated new AEW deals together, 'majority rules' vote, Matt Jackson considered retirement

Originally published at Young Bucks confirm The Elite negotiated new AEW deals together, 'majority rules' vote, Matt Jackson considered retirement

The Young Bucks speak about the process of re-signing with AEW. 

The announcement was pushed out from All Elite Wrestling that The Elite (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson & Hangman Adam Page) inked new long-term deals with the company

Matt and Nick sat down with Swerve Strickland and Teasy Jones to record a new episode of the Swerve City Podcast and they dove into the process of re-signing. Nick joked that it’s an NBA-level contract. 

Nick: When we signed it, we’re like, ‘This is like an NBA-level contract. That’s pretty crazy’ (he laughed)… No (we’re not talking Jaylen Brown type of contract). I wish, I wish. But who knows? Maybe one day. 

Continuing on the topic, Nick said WWE being hot right now helps the overall business. There’s the idea of who might jump ship and Matt added that The Elite did not know what they were going to do. He confirmed they negotiated their deals together. 

The group was sticking together regardless, but their votes did not line up all the time when it came to their decision. Matt contemplated retirement but Nick talked him out of it. 

Nick: It’s weird, WWE being hot helps us because wrestling in general is hot right now. 

Matt: And then the threat of guys from our company going there, it helps the wrestling business. 

Nick: And that’s interesting. I wanna see stuff like that because it’s interesting. It’s real life. Who knows who will jump ship and whatnot. 

Matt: And we honestly, we didn’t know. We talked about how we just signed these contracts. It’s funny because a lot of fans I’m sure… I don’t read any of it but I’m sure they’re thinking, oh, how unsurprising. The Elite re-signed. Bro, we didn’t even know if we were gonna re-sign. We had no idea and there would be times, because we knew, not just the two of us, Hangman (Adam Page) and Kenny (Omega), the four of us, we negotiated together as a team and which I don’t know if it’s ever really been done. 

Nick: We were gonna stick together… And it’s crazy because all four of us, we all agreed, we’re sticking together. 

Matt: And the votes did not line up every time, because we said, ‘Majority wins on this’ and there was a lot of emotions in the last year as the world knows so one day, this person’s voting to leave, this person’s voting to go. We weren’t even on the same page the whole time. 

Nick: I’ll say this, there was many times where Matt just said, ‘You know what? I have enough. I’m ready to just retire.’

Matt: I talked about that. 

Nick: And I had to talk him out of it. I talked him out of retiring. 

Matt: I’ve been toying with that for a long time and he even told me, he’s like, ‘Let’s just do at least one more big one.’ 

Nick: I think it’s fun to fantasize about retirement. So I get it. He’s almost in his 40s now. 

In addition to The Elite re-signing, Kip Sabian publicly stated that he re-signed and Evil Uno confirmed that Dark Order (Uno, John Silver & Alex Reynolds) are going to be with AEW for years to come.

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit Swerve City Podcast with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions. 

It’s laughable that he’d suggest one day he might be worth a Jaylen Brown contract. Jaylen Brown isn’t even worth Jaylen Brown’s contract.

2 Likes

I don’t know how many key guys have been up for renewal, but it’s got to be a good early sign that literally just one person from AEW (not counting Regal) has chosen to go to WWE rather than re-sign.

Obviously, there have been guys who have chosen to sign or re-sign with WWE rather than pursue AEW, but I believe Cody is the only one who has actually voluntary left AEW for the Fed.

3 Likes

That’s why he said it! :laughing: :laughing:

I believe most of the AEW talent signed 3 or 5 year year deals, my guess is that not a ton of talent have had their contracts end yet. With that said, if this site is accurate here is a list of talent that have signed recently:

• Kip Sabian: AEW(re-signed)
  • Alex Reynolds: AEW(re-signed)
  • John Silver: AEW(re-signed)
  • Evil Uno: AEW(re-signed)
  • Kenny Omega: AEW(re-signed)
  • Nick Jackson: AEW(re-signed)
  • Matt Jackson: AEW(re-signed)
  • Kyle Fletcher – AEW
  • Mark Davis – AEW
  • Roderick Strong – AEW
  • Skye Blue – AEW
  • Jay White – AEW(multi-year contract)
  • Brian Cage – AEW(re-signed)

And of course Mox & Jericho re-signed.

I’m sure there is some backchanneling going on as well and talent put out feelers to see if there is strong interest on the other side, and if its mild they just re-sign. I also think some talent are probably a bit scared to jump. Grass isnt always greener, and the Vince factor is always looming. I’ve always felt that when Vince passes away a lot of talent will be more open to jumping ship in that direction. And of course some people just don’t want to jump. I do wish more people would jump though both ways, I dont want to see only one major jump every 3 years.

I do and dont understand this. Obviously people jumping back and forth is cool and exciting, but AEW is still and a young and growing company.

I dont get why anyone who is a fan of AEW, would be interested in a top level talent or talents going to WWE. The Elite leaving right now would have been a massive, massive blow to this company and I just dont see the possibility anytime soon of AEW being able to attract a big enough name away from WWE to make up for it.

I was talking with my dad the other day about who AEW could sign from WWE that would be a WCW getting Hogan move. Its either Cena or Reigns to me. Everyone else who is high enough in WWE, I think can be equally compared to a high level AEW talent.

So I think AEW hurts a lot more by losing, than they would to gain by getting 99% of WWE performers.

1 Like

Well ideally it goes both ways. If Omega for example were to jump, then ideally I’d like to see say AJ (doesn’t have to be AJ, just an example) jump the other way. I also think that AEW is loaded with talent, sure loosing an Okega would hurt, but with Khans booking ability I think someone else just gets elevated to his spot rather quickly. Now if all four jumped, sure that’s a big blow all at once, but they would be fine if just Omega jumped.

Now that a lot of the AEW moves that we all saw coming are done (Danielson, Cole, Claudio), I think most of the major guys in both organizations are too well compensated to take a risk and make a jump. Unless somebody is very unhappy with their creative direction, I don’t think we’ll see many of those huge game changer type moves. For the most part, I think your changes will be mid-level guys with potential who don’t seem like a huge coup outside of the IWC. Some of them will end up being major pickups (FTR) and some will still be midcarders, just hopefully happier.

Can’t forget that a lot of the WWF to WCW defections were guys going from zero guaranteed money to six figures worth. Say what you will in retrospect, but I’m not blaming any of them for a second.

1 Like