Zack Sabre Jr. submits Yoshi-Hashi to retain his G1 spot

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/06/25/zack-sabre-jr-submits-yoshi-hashi-to-retain-his-g1-spot/

In the main event of Tuesday’s Kizuna Road card in Sendai, Zack Sabre Jr. submitted Yoshi-Hashi to retain the British heavyweight title and his spot in the G1 Climax.

The match focused on Sabre’s attack of Yoshi-Hashi’s left knee for the first half of the match. Then, Sabre moved to the arm and applied a triangle that Yoshi-Hashi powerbombed his way out of.

Yoshi-Hashi made his comeback with a tombstone shoulder breaker, backstabber and running knees for a two-count. Yoshi-Hashi fired up down the stretch and attempted Karma, which was stopped, and Sabre transitioned to take his back and hook the arm.

It appeared Sabre was setting up Orienteering with Napalm Death but presented a different variation entirely when pulled back on the leg, then applied a figure-four while clasping his hands and Yoshi-Hashi’s shoulders were on the mat. The submission finish came at 23:04.

On the undercard, El Phantasmo retained the British Cruiserweight title by defeating Ryusuke Taguchi after hitting the CR II.

Here are the results from the show:
*Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima over Yuji Nagata & Yota Tsuji
*Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, Sanada, Shingo Takagi & Bushi over Kota Ibushi, Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Ren Narita & Shota Umino
*Juice Robinson & Mikey Nicholls over Guerrillas of Destiny in a non-title match
*Jay White, Taiji Ishimori, Chase Owens & Yujiro over Hiroshi Tanahashi, Roppongi 3K & Toa Henare
*Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask over Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer, Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Douki
*El Phantasmo over Ryusuke Taguchi to retain the British Cruiserweight title
*Zack Sabre Jr. over Yoshi-Hashi to retain the British heavyweight title

Oh good. Was afraid ZSJ would lose.

Following the match, Zack:

• claimed he will hold his title so long he will be buried with his title, next to Karl Marx.
  • proclaimed he will win thr G1 Climax.
  • proclaimed, “Strong Style is dead. Long live Sabreism.”
  • said backstage that he should have won the G1 Climax last year, and that he’s happy to be in the same block as Okada.
  • suggested YOSHI-HASHI become his personal young boy after this.
1 Like

Well shit, there goes my chance in the Post Wrestling: “G1 Climax” contest. Betting on a Yoshi-Hashi win is like betting on the Washington Generals against the Harlem Globetrotters.:joy::joy:

2 Likes

I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise.

I refuse to watch this or even acknowledge Yoshi Hashi as a G1 caliber competitor. He’s the Titus O’Neil of New Japan. He wears tha stupid shoulder tape like he’s badly banged up. He carries a javalon to the ring. And he sucks the air out of any matchup he is in.

It’s a testament to how great New Japan has recovered from their 2018 departures that we praise guys like Osprey and Shingo and have completely forgot that it was ZSJ who stole the early part of 2018. There is a guy who is legit in line to be a stud heel. I also miss the Japanese Paul Heyman intros.

1 Like

“I thought the Generals were due!”

The Generals’ losing streak goes back, way passed the Gilligan’s Island movie and the special Scooby-Doo/Harlem Globetrotters episode.:joy::joy:

1 Like

My friends weren’t nuts about it, but I actually liked this match well enough. Yeah, the two of them didn’t really gel, so much of the match looked just like ZSJ wrestling circles around Yoshi Hashi, which I’m okay with in terms of kayfabe and the caliber of this year’s G1 roster. That said, in spite of the stipulation Yoshi Hashi didn’t seem all that engaged until the last couple of minutes. It’d be easier to get behind his lovable loser shtick if he actually seemed interested in his own fate and future.

The highlights of this entire show were ZSJ’s post-match promo and backstage comments. I have all the time in the world for vegan pinko heels.