5 things WWE does right

Are you aware that this is literally racism and bigotry? That this thinking and line of action creates and deepens even more problems?

Ya I figured from the start based on a comment in another thread, but I try to give the benefit of the doubt as people do have different opinions.

Nah she can’t talk, is too old and doesn’t have the right look to be a big star. But it’s also WWE’s fault for botching her entire run. They’ve already done a lot of damage to Ripley in just a few weeks

1 Like

She didn’t need to talk much in NXT but I thought her bully character was really good.

Yes but she was also given good opponents. She was fine in NXT but she wasn’t even the top woman there when she was champion. If used well I certainly think any company would be lucky to have her, but she isn’t among the best women on the WWE roster, and likely wouldn’t be the top woman on any roster.
WWE alone I would rank her behind (not in order)
Becky
Charlotte
Asuka
Bayley
Sasha
Bianca
Io
Rhea
Candice Lerae
Alexa Bliss

She might be next after that but I can see several others that could take her spot.

I like Shayna and think she could be in a better spot than she is but for that to happen you need to stick to what she is good at and that is a very narrow set of things.

Is Shayna really in a bad spot when her role is literally being on every single main brand show they air between Raw, Smackdown, and PPV? Especially when we can list that many women ahead of her in the pecking order? They clearly like her (and Nia) because they found a way to get them constantly on TV. Just because it isn’t the silent killer role most of us assumed and the tag division itself isn’t lighting anything on fire, I think it skews perspective, but we have someone saying she can’t talk, is too old, and doesn’t have the right look (not sure I agree, but it’s obvious she’s not someone they’d give a long run on top with), and yet the above usage and position is true (and she isn’t even the member they’re making out as a joke klutz)… so if the singles run isn’t in the cards (at least now) this isn’t bad.

I feel like most people are going to talk about last year where she lost at wrestlemania. It seems pretty clear she probably should’ve won that match based on how she was being booked and she could’ve had a run as a killer legit MMA type fighter.

At this point although she is on TV a lot she does lose a lot and get pinned. Nonetheless she is in a better position than a lot of females and given some of her limitations I think it’s fine. However the character she had created of this killer monster bully doesn’t seem to be playing out as much.

The problem is viewing what we know she does well and what we are getting. She could have come in dominated become champ and then put over someone big time. Is she in the worst spot, no but the women’s tag division is terrible (read non-existent) they aren’t building up tag teams, and even in that role she could be portrayed better instead of in a contentious partnership with Nia (just have them get along and be the big bullies) and working in comedy storylines. Like present your performers as credible contenders so that you have depth in your divisions.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but these things do have two sides to them. If she wins and we go on whatever [generic dominant long-term champion story], we don’t get Asuka finding her voice and character during the brunt of the empty arena era and we don’t get several important chapters of the Sasha/Bayley story. If you could only choose one side or the other to invest in, they probably made the wrong choice.

As @Breng77 says, though, perhaps they could have found some way to make her more dominant, though Nia and her having fewer faults doesn’t make for a better tag division when they’re already seen so far above all the other teams involved (other than maybe Nattie/Tamina). Does she take too many pins? Sure, but that might be a side effect of how much they like having them on every show and the extracurricular faults of a tag division that has always barely existed. They did spend a good amount of the fall/winter being dominant bullies though (she barely lost after winning the titles - including the whole bullying Lana season - through the point Asuka got involved with Lana). So other than the Reginald stuff and the bickering stuff, they haven’t been too off the dominance. It’s not what we wanted from her - UFC killer having long matches all the time - but she’s not exactly in a spot where if they broke up the team tomorrow, she couldn’t be that the next day.

Being on TV doesn’t necessarily mean you are in a good spot. As we have seen, you can be on Wrestlemania one day and fired the next. It’s sad to say, but given how she is treated, if Shayna was on next year’s round of cuts I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest. Pretty clear Vince doesn’t see much in her.

Shayna has wrestled in probably triple the amount of matches that IIconics/Mickie/Chelsea/Cutler/Dallas/Tucker/Kallisto/Mojo combined have over the last 6 months, so I don’t really see that as equivalent situations at all.

On the women’s tag belts I am of the opinion that so far every promotion is doing them wrong. You need to develop teams before having the belts. As it is they are pretty meaningless because every program seems to be: throw 2 people together for the program just to get our “stars” on the card.

2 Likes

Billie Kay was on SmackDown like every single week for two months doing the cover letter angle and eating pins in random women’s tag matches (not unlike someone else we have mentioned here). None of the rest of those people you mentioned were on WM so pretty clearly weren’t who I was referring to.

According to Profightdb, she had two matches on Smackdown since October. I don’t think a 30 second backstage spot or 1-2 minute comedy segment is equivalent to someone on every show as a champion for basically 8 months.

PPV spots are more limited than ever in the COVID shorter shows and Shayna has been on pretty much every one since Summerslam. We may not perfectly like her role, but there’s a big distance between “Vince doesn’t see her as a dominant singles champion” and “they have no use for her.”

Reminds me of the time when Nattie was farting every week on camera…

1 Like

I mean, we will see what happens. But lately the mindset at WWE seems to be, if we do not have a strong role for you on television, you are expendable. Hawkins and Ryder went from winning the Tag belts at Mania to fired in a year’s time. Basically every single jobber on the roster has been run out of town, so now the only “jobbers” on the staff are Gable and Otis (two guys who had real storylines as recently as like 6 months ago?). You don’t think Vince figures he can call up the next girl from NXT and put her in the tag division to eat pins in Shayna’s place? They are probably grooming Mia Yim for that role right now.

Just seems like unless your name is Roman Reigns, Charlotte Flair, or Sasha Banks, your job security is essentially zero in WWE right now. Not sure how you differentiate Billy’s comedy segments from the Nia/Shayna segments either. The entire women’s tag division is pretty much comedy at this point. It’s not actually funny, of course, but ever since the “my hole” incident, Nia slipping and falling has been the dominant storyline within the division. Oh and of course Reginald. Who is comedy.

Yeah, those are called “racists”. Maybe people that don’t think a POC deserves a job over an equally or more qualified white person should go see if Donald Trump has a wrestling message board and post there.

Not agree with that indeed….

Dude there is a whole Twitter-verse full of easily-deceived marks out there for your edgy sarcasm, why do you gotta bring it here? I’m sure you find all of this very amusing but seriously this isn’t the place for it.

1 Like

Ok, we get, you’re a troll.

I don’t find any of this amusing. What I find least amusing is people here either telling me what I meant to say or that I’m trolling because they obviously don’t agree with diversity being important. It’s disheartening in 2021, with all we’ve been through, to have to be subject to bullying.