AEW Dynamite falls to lowest figures in four months

Originally published at AEW Dynamite falls to lowest figures in four months

Although AEW Dynamite avoided a seventh game of the World Series, this week’s number took a hit with its lowest mark on Wednesday since early July.

The November 3rd edition of the show from Missouri averaged 878,000 viewers and 424,000 (0.32) in the 18-49 demographic, per Brandon Thurston of Wrestlenomics and Showbuzz Daily.

The figures are their lowest since July 7th (excluding the Saturday night editions of Dynamite) which was AEW’s first episode of Dynamite outside of Daily’s Place since the pandemic began.

Dynamite dropped 7 percent in overall viewers and 18 percent in the 18-49 demo. Males 18-49 declined 16 percent this week while females in the demo dropped by 17 percent. Adults 18-34 were down by 17 percent. All the demos monitored by Showbuzz Daily were down by double-digit figures this week except Adults over 50, which grew by 6 percent from last week.

The show managed to finish sixth among cable originals with head-to-head competition from the Atlanta Hawks vs. Brooklyn Nets that did 0.46 in the demo and 1,302,000 viewers on ESPN along with Tucker Carlson on Fox News (0.39), Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (0.38), and The Challenge (0.37) all beginning at 8 p.m. ET.

It was the second week in a row that Dynamite aired live across the country including in the Pacific and Mountain time zones, which is going to have an effect, although last week’s show performed stronger with competition from the World Series.

In Canada, Dynamite averaged 91,600 viewers and 45,700 in the 25-54 demographic on TSN 2, nearly identical to last week’s figure of 90,000.

The show was originally advertised around the semi-final match of the Title Eliminator Tournament between Orange Cassidy and Jon Moxley. Moxley was replaced by Miro after Tuesday’s announcement that Moxley was entering an inpatient alcohol treatment program.

AEW returns on Friday night with a live edition of Rampage from Chaifetz Arena in St. Louis, Missouri.

@MJfromNJ maybe it wasn’t just me ? Remains to be seen but I thought it was possible the main event from the week prior would lead to a drop off in viewership.

2 Likes

I think the West Coast live broadcast definitely cannot be overlooked in all of this.

2 Likes

Yep definitely a factor as well. Like I said will need to wait for a while to see how this plays out but I’m curious if they do tone down the silliness as the week after airing that they saw a drop

Dynamite had time issues, but let’s face it, is it the lack of engaging storylines?

The west coast thing is real. I’m on the west coast and it’s impossible for me to ever catch the show live.

That being said, last nights show was pretty rough in parts.

This is also true. I think everybody is waiting for the next round of TV to start with Hangman as champion, and the post ppv directions.

I believe that Hangman is the biggest babyface in the company - but a lot of people want to get to the match already, and what comes with it.

1 Like

Yeah and it’s also for some reason taking longer than usual to build these matches. This is almost like WWE where you don’t have a great idea of the matches before the PPV or they aren’t well-built.

It’s highly unusual that we still don’t have a match for punk, the young bucks, Adam Cole etc.

Just got Daniels and Miro today, We still don’t know the exact Cody match.

The women’s match isn’t that well-built. It feels like a filler until they finally get around to thunder Rosa.

They put a lot of effort into American top team but in the end as I predicted there’s no Masvidal so nobody will ever care about Arlovski or Junior. They just aren’t that big a draw or name I think for the amount of time they spent building it up. It would be different if Masvidal was going to fight but since he’s not I just don’t see huge interest for the build.

The buyer rate for this will be interesting. I think we all know it will fall well short of the last one, and I think that was to be expected given the level of hype that had. I’m not sure they’ll ever top that. However, how low this falls in comparison will be interesting to see. Will it break 150? That may be difficult.

It’s also something to consider that the card leaked early, so a lot of the tv feels like it’s going through the motions right now. So again, I can’t wait for the PPV, but I don’t need to see the TV to get there.

The upcoming quarterly TV specials will definitely change the dynamic of weekly TV.

As for Jericho’s match… While I enjoyed the Five Labour’s of Jericho over the summer - everything since has been a struggle to watch for him.

Jericho’s place in AEW feels very strange, where he’s no longer needed as a week to week character. Sure he has something to offer - but not getting 10+ minutes a week of cringy promo time.

1 Like

27 days ago

It’ll be better post the PPV and in a normal slot across the country.

They made great gains and set a new Mendoza Line. Now they are below it (1M) as the pattern of viewing got disrupted. Let’s see how long or if it gets back to that line again regularly.

3 Likes