AEW Needs WWE defectors

There’s a trend in the IWC toward forgetting that most people in this world will choose to work for the place that pays the most money. Not everybody, but most. And right now, the safest and most lucrative bet in terms of both current and future earnings is WWE.

It’s no different than pro sports. Fans want a guy to love a city or a team like we do, or we want a guy to play “for love of the game” instead of the best contract, but it’s just not the way the world works.

1 Like

Theyve made Hager more interesting in 4 weeks just standing there than WWE did in 10 years.

But they don’t need anymore WWE guys at the moment. They’ll be nothing more than TNA 2.0 if they just keep bringing them in.

2 Likes

Very true, though I do think there is something to be said for guys that are not quite top guys, if they feel like they can do more elsewhere and get paid anywhere close, it is in their best interest to go and become a big deal. It gives them more negotiating power later if they want to come back to WWE (assuming they don’t burn bridges)

1 Like

Not sure I agree on Hager, I don’t think he is all that interesting on AEW he is just Jericho’s enforcer. I need to see him actually wrestle to care about him.

Hager on his own wrestling might be a different story, but being the bad ass enforcer in a stable is absolutely perfect for him.

Wrestling 101: Play to the strengths, hide the weaknesses.

1 Like

Sure it is fine for him, but he is easily the least interesting part of the Inner Circle thus far.

Disagree, but I like you!

1 Like

Considering the other four guys in the stable that’s not necessarily a bad thing :man_shrugging:t3:

Point still stands it’s much better than “real American American” Seagger with the eagle mascot or anti-immigrant Swagger

1 Like

Insofar as I guess nothing is a preferable gimmick to a bad gimmick I guess.

Maybe eventually. But NXT guys aren’t exactly rolling in cash. Everything I’ve read has also made it clear that no one received any raises since the new TV deal.

1 Like

The situation with the pay bump now that NXT is on USA sucks for the talent. But they will have the opportunity to re-negotiate when their contracts come due and if AEW is still around they should have a lot of leverage for a significant pay raise.

Just like WWE will probably pay more than AEW to steal their talent, WWE will also probably pay-up to keep guys like Adam Cole or Velveteen Dream from leaving.

I’m also not sure how their contracts are structured, and if they got any bump in pay with Weekly shows vs monthly tapings. You are right though now that competition exists for that NXT talent they will bump up their pay.

Here’s a related story - https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoestriecher/2019/10/29/several-wwe-nxt-stars-are-seeking-their-release-due-to-low-pay-and-broken-promises/#492e580e617e

Not surprising at all, if true. NXT just seems more and more pointless as it continues to be whatever it is.

I’m not sure NXT is pointless as it is a good wrestling program with good stories and wrestling. Much better than main roster WWE. But if they are going to keep people there long term they will need to up their pay, otherwise top talent will leave to go to AEW.

I will say after watching dark that AEW should take basically any woman willing to defect from anywhere. That women’s 4 way match was awful. When I watch a match and think the Iconics look good in the ring by comparison to what I’m seeing it is a problem.

2 Likes

Agree. It’s a waiting game until Tessa comes basically. Their whole division reeks

1 Like

Honestly, the most valuable woman they could sign (besides Tessa) is someone like Jazz, Lufisto, or Mercedes Martinez…Someone who’s not only a great worker; but someone who could act as a defacto trainer for the division. AEW needs to find their version of Sara Del Ray in NXT b/c outside of Kong & the Joshi girls they’re dealing with a lot of young talent that hasn’t had a ton of TV experience. :100:

Need Junglewoman

That women’s 4 way match was awful.

Agree. Indeed, I think it will spur me to start an entire thread on that topic.

1 Like