AEW Rampage posts low 18-49 audience, ranks #22 among cable originals

Originally published at AEW Rampage posts low 18-49 audience, ranks #22 among cable

AEW Rampage posted one of its lowest key demo audiences in the one-year history of the program while ranking #22 on cable.

The August 26th show that was taped in Cleveland averaged 431,000 viewers and approximately 143,000 viewers (0.11) in the 18-49 demographic, per Brandon Thurston of Wrestlenomics and Showbuzz Daily.

It was a decline of 6.5% overall viewership and a drop of 9% in the key demo from the previous week’s show. Within the key demo, male viewership dropped by 13% and female viewership was down by 11%. Adults 18-34 were even with last week’s number. They did see a 40% drop among males 12-34 while females in that same demo increased by 12%.

This past Friday’s show aired against the NFL pre-season game between Seattle and Dallas that aired on the NFL Network with 1,203,000 viewers and 0.30 in 18-49, which was #1 on cable.

This would be the third lowest 18-49 audience in the history of Rampage and the second-lowest in its normal timeslot.

The July 29th episode this year averaged 140,000 in the demo for a show headlined by Anna Jay and Ruby Soho and included Best Friends against Jay Lethal, Satnam Singh & Sonjay Dutt.

The May 6th edition of Rampage averaged 138,000 in the key demo, although that episode aired at 5:30 p.m. ET on TNT due to the NHL playoffs and featured Jay Lethal vs. Konosuke Takeshita.

Friday’s show included the advertisement of exclusive backstage footage involving CM Punk after his quick loss to Jon Moxley on Dynamite. It also featured an ROH title match between Claudio Castagnoli and Dustin Rhodes and the continuation of the Trios Tournament with Dark Order defeating House of Black.

This week’s Rampage will be a live edition of the show from the NOW Arena in Hoffman Estates and is the final broadcast before Sunday’s All Out pay-per-view from the same venue.

I would be curious to see rampage on tuesdays with nxt 2.0

I wonder if they factor in the DVR numbers. I can’t imagine many people are spending a Friday night towards the end of summer watching this live

Those numbers exist, but pretty much just inside the industry (and the Observer). The live viewership data is always the one that gets play among the fans since it’s the first one out. And I’d imagine the live number is still most important, since the vast majority of the DVR viewers aren’t watching commercials.

1 Like

I remember an episode of Wrestlenomics months ago. They said that something like 40-45% of their audience watches the show on DVR.

2 Likes

Yeah doesn’t surprise me.

With two kids, if I do have a Friday night when I’m not working it’s one of the few evenings I’m gonna get to enjoy that isn’t a kid activity. So I’m gonna take full advantage of it, as I suspect many people are. So I don’t think you can really look at that number and say much about the quality of the show or interest level when its peak summer

2 Likes