AEW scores highest head-to-head figures since Oct. 2019

Serious question to the Bdubz and AOP’s of the board…

What would AEW need to accomplish for you to say they are a success?

It feels like the goal posts keep moving…

3 Likes

Ratings equal to attitude era WWF? Jim Cornette’s praise?

1 Like

Just GTFO with these excuses.

1 Like

I get why fans have certain issues with AEW, just like I get why fans have issues with WWE. With that said, anyone who attempts to claim AEW is anything but a massive success is either lying to us, or lying to themselves.

1 Like

It’s called context. People who aren’t dumb like it. :wink:

I have stated multiple times on multiple threads the bare minimum first target is consistently breaking the 1 million mark (average, not segments).

My personal opinion is being able to average a greater number than the average of those who tuned in the first two weeks. Those numbers showed the bare minimum potential audience (the real potential audience is much bigger) as they were interested enough to tune in.

I think those arguing that RAW is not head to head with dynamite means that they don’t impact each other are being disingenuous. It may not matter, but people also have limited time to consume wrestling and if one show is crap and they enjoy the other they may decide to give up one for the other. RAW is at a disadvantage with its night and length but that is RAWs fault not AEWs. Is Wednesday an easier night during football season, yup, but RAWs rating have been dropping in general. I don’t watch either show live so who knows

1 Like

I don’t think I could have illustrated the mentality of modern fans any better. If you think a month is a long time to build to the biggest match they had to promote isn’t hot shotting and is a long build then that right there is the problem.

And terminology aside, the point was clear. They have packed the last two weeks shows with the biggest things they had at their disposal to achieve those numbers and they still can’t crack a million. Let’s see where their numbers are when they return to a normal episode.

Over a month was the final sprint. You can say that the full story arch was one year with Kenny’s loss, his purgatory through the tag team titles and first turning his back to his partner and friend, and then to his other friends and stablemates, which culminated in Kenny stabbing the entire company in the back.

AEW is no NJPW, but I am not sure that in the USA there’s another promotion that relies on actual long term booking as much as they are.

2 Likes

I was going to bring up the fact that it was a year long build - following the Full Gear 2019 match. However I figured Bdubz would find an issue with that statement so I went with the the irrefutable one/two month build.

And of course, I understand that two months is not a long build in the overall history of wrestling - but for the last 25 years, that’s roughly the average time most shows give to build.

Doesn’t make it right. And a reason very few are emotionally invested and therefore care about the outcome of any match or feud and therefore still watch.