AEW vs NXT

It’s a good show but let’s not go crazy. It’s only half of Raw right now. And barely that. Audience isn’t growing either.

They don’t have stars yet. They need to make Omega and Bucks a bigger deal instead of jobbing so much. It’s only Jericho right now and he’s not on the same level of draw as WWE top guys (ie Brock)

Cornette just owned Meltzer and Jericho

1 Like

Yup both those guys are also bigger (4-5” taller) and more muscular. Neither flosses in the ring. Marco wrestler in a t-shirt Monday and a lot of his offense looks super fake as if his opponent is helping because they are.

Mysterio is closer in size to Fénix and Jungle
Boy then Stunt is to Mysterio.

But it honestly isn’t size holding Stunt back it is his look and demeanor.

1 Like

Mysterio also had to build up his reputation and believability as a guy that could take on bigger wrestlers and more established guys through time. Marco Stunt was going toe to toe with Pentagon & Fenix right from the off. And will he be booked as a big deal now that he’s shown he can go toe to toe with them?

“Toe to toe”? Do you know what “toe to toe” means? You want to say that he was trading punches and elbows with them NJPW style? He got some offense on them, yes, mainly because they underestimated him, and all of this offense was tilt-a-world-something. Than he go DESTROYED.

I was entertained. That one hand Gorilla Press was something else.

Except he didn’t get destroyed he lasted over 10 mins and kicked out of some big moves. What your describing is he gets in like one sequence of offense, maybe a roll up pin for a kick out, then gets put down in like 1-2 min. Lucha Bros are being billed as one of the best tag teams in the world. A green tag team, especially with Stunt, should not last 10 mins with them.

Brock lesnar and Finn Balor? Brock Lesnar and Daniel Bryan? Brock Lesnar and CM Punk?

Should I dig even more?

All more believable than stunt. Can we not compare a green wrestler who looks like he weighs 90 lbs and flosses in the ring to guys you are seasoned wrestlers who look like athletes, are taking things seriously, and have years of experince. Show me Hornswagel vs Lesner in a competitive match. The closest analog I can think of for what you want is Ellsworth vs AJ but it lacks the size discrepancy and I hated that too.

I mean seriously are you putting stunt as an in ring talent on the level of Punk, Bryan, or Balor? If so I’m sorry but I cannot take your opinions seriously.

Sorry, dude, but you are making the stupidest excuses (again). Size difference is size difference and I am laughing every time where’s such a mach anywhere. The complaints of the pointed Brock matches, how unbelievable it seemed. Then the matches turned out great. As with this match too. Nor Pentagon, nor Fenix are nowhere near the size of Brock, but visually them with Stunt and Brock with the others I mentioned, the size difference is pretty much the same. Thus said - we saw what happened with Punk, who had zero experience in combat sports in UFC, yet in WWE he was this close to beat Brock.

You are speaking gibberish and I don’t see any sense in responding to you anymore.

I prefer Ellsworth to Stunt (just my preference). I would agree with what Cornette was saying on Twitter (even though he’s using way too many swear words). Stunt does not look like a wrestler and is not believable.

Is Meltzer being objective in this discussion or is he trying to protect his friends ?

He didn’t “get destroyed”. Also, it’s not just his size, it’s also his level of credibility. He has none. He’s also just there for comic relief rather than as a serious wrestler. No one would expect or accept No Way Jose going toe to toe with Seth Rollins. Now imagine a much smaller No Way Jose…

Size can give you automatic credibility, he doesn’t have that. Proving yourself in the ring over time can gain you credibility, he doesn’t have that either. This wasn’t even a story about a wrestler proving people wrong. This was done just for this match.

It’s okay to say “AEW should’ve booked this differently”. Not everything they’re going to do is going to be perfect, there’s nothing wrong with pointing it out.

2 Likes

Even with Ellsworth, he was getting help from Ambrose who was doing it to embarrass Styles. The story there was Ambrose was making it happen.

1 Like

I hope this news doesn’t shock you but Marco Stunt doesn’t have the credibility of Bryan, Balor, Styles, Mysterio or CM Punk to cover up his lack of size.

Saying “Mysterio does it” and then picking a random small guy from the crowd isn’t something that works or makes sense.

3 Likes

Author of posts basically reframed what I mean. Part of the issue is he has no in ring credibility. I have 0 issue with him being in AEW but him winning should be a long term story about him getting better over time, taking things more seriously, and finally getting a win.

When you point to those Brock matches, all of those opponents were former or current champions in WWE. 2 were heels at the time and used some dubious tactics in the match, Balor took advantage of Brocks abdominal issues. Heck Seth Rollins beat Brock and is smaller and wouldn’t stand up in a real fight. But in all those instances the opponents had been established as top talent. Before those happened. So is your argument that you think Stunt is going to be pushed to the main event soon? If not him losing quickly here is the better choice for his own story as well as for the Lucha Bros.

It is also important to note that AEW needs to establish their talent. The Lucha Bros are not established stars to casual fans so they need to not struggle to beat stunt in their TV debut on AEW. I heard it on one podcast I listen too that a mistake AEW is making is that they are assuming that everyone knows their stars and that they are stars.

Thinking back perhaps the closest analog to this would be the 1-2-3 Kid vs Razor Ramon. The difference there was Ramon as an Established Star (unlike the Lucha Bros) and the story was clear that he took it lightly and got rolled up.

And not long after, Sean had his best matches in WWF so he quickly proved himself.

That’s a great comparison.

He took it lightly and they used that whole angle to turn Razor face with DiBiase making fun of him over the loss.

If Stunt is portrayed as a serious wrestler that’s one thing. They man flosses in the ring. He’s also no where near the same size as a lot of those other guys. He also was an alternate who just came in.

You want him to come in and jump around a bit and hit a few high flying moves? Cool. You want him to kick out of a pump handle slam like that ?

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see what AEW do with him now. To be honest, the smart thing to do would be to put more focus on Marko Stunt and actually tell a story. He has no credibility but they could use this situation to slightly build him up.

2 Likes

It’s simple and a no brainer. Have him bulk up a bit (literally just a stone or two), change his attire and attitude. Goes from scrutinised ‘joke’ wrestler to legit. It would take very little effort in the grand scheme of things. Especially if they do it while telling the story.

Whether they actually do it or not, or if Stunt wants to, is another matter. I get the feeling the negative reaction from parts of the community will make them resistant to change.

He will probably be out there flossing next time.

Despite Rey or Liger being small I never looked at them as someone I could beat up. So think I can likely beat up Strum. No question. So it’s hard for me to Believe he’s kicking out of pump handles.