ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Eric from Miami

With the criticisms of too many commercials during the Blood and Guts match, could you see the next time they wanna do a long match on TV AEW & TNT come together to sponsor a commercial free main event match. They’ve done product placement for Rick and Morty, HBO Max and Kong vs Godzilla. If they wanted to do a main event cage match or 30 minute Iron Match have it sponsored by Tide have Tony read an on air liner and have us focused on just the action

So many things I want to ask - always love these shows!

I was introduced to the great Karim Zidan by one of your POST shows on WWE in Saudi Arabia. As a fairly new MMA fan, I’ve recently gone deep on his terrific work, particularly his regular articles for Bloody Elbow. His work has helped me consider the way I approach the sport, particularly its closeness to unsavoury political figures across the globe and the process of sportswashing. What writers helped to expand your critical thinking on how combat sports operate? I’ll be sitting by my phone noting down the books I need to read, lol.

Jordan from Kitchener,

I just turned 35 and have heard from friends and family that being 35 is the best year to be alive. What was your best year to be alive?

Any chances we get John to say I love you to Brandon from NJ.

Just throwing it out there.

Maybe in an alternate universe.

Love you guys.

Keep up the great work.

1 Like

Hey Guys…J from Windsor.

Out of curiosity, have either of you two bumped around in the ring before? I remember years ago watching Agnew do a segment with Lance Storm where he took some bumps, and I’m curious if either of you have had that experience, and if so, what your thoughts were on how it feels to bump around in the ring. If not, is this something you would do for a bit?

Anthony from Detroit

I was in Las Vegas on spring break and went to a Tapas restaurant for dinner. Walked in and the dj was playing Shane McMahon’s theme song. No, we didn’t walk out and the food was really good.

My question, most bizarre place you have heard a wrestling theme and what theme was it?

Brandon from Oshawa

We often see different characters take up the mantle of a superhero in the comics(Captain America for example.) There are many other instances, but its a pretty common occurance. Do you think wrestling can get away with such a thing? We’ve seen “fake” characters before like Fake Razor, Diesel, Taker, Kane etc, but nothing serious. If The Undertaker handed down the mantle to say…Baron Corbin and it were treated as a serious thing, could it work, or will it always be doomed to fail in the wrestling universe?

1 Like

Ramon in MA…
If you could ask anyone in the wrestling business about a story or situation and wanted to know the truth about it without them trying to bullshit you or give you the runaround, what would you want to know?

Sal from California

Hi guys! I started listening to post wrestling when Dynamite debuted back in 2019 and before I get to my question I want to say that you’ve quickly become my favorite wrestling podcast. I’ve been a patron for a few months and have really enjoyed all the additional shows. Thanks for all your work!

With AEW announcing they’re going to be back on the road, I’m getting excited about the prospect of going to see live wrestling again in a post-vaccine world. My question is: What is the loudest crowd reaction you guys have seen live?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Roy from Rhode Island

Hi guys,

I’m approaching ten years living in the U.S, having grown up in Europe. Wai; as someone who has lived in a country other than your homeland for so long, how has your relationship with Hong Kong evolved over the years, and how much has it been affected by China’s policies and actions toward it in recent years?

Jesse from the 6

Sean Mooney or Todd Pettengill?

1 Like

Branavan from Ajax:

My question is for John, what are your thoughts currently on The Wire? Favorite characters, season, what don’t you like on the show? It’s really cool hearing that you’ve gotten into it.

Hey Guys, This might be a tricky one to answer but I’ll try anyway. With Fulham being relegated from the Premier League this season, many fans are questioning Tony Khan’s commitment to the club as AEW seems to
be his primary focus. From what you and your contacts know about Tony Khan’s involvement in AEW, Do you think Fulham fans have a right to worried?

John, over the years you have amassed many interviews with individuals in the wrestling industry. Those that you do with wrestling / MMA media are my favorite to listen to. Guests like Ariel Helwani, Brandon Thurston and David Bixenspan to just name a few. Do you enjoy these interviews more than those with wrestlers? I would love to hear an interview with Chris Van Vliet but who would you love to interview in the wrestling media?

Has J.R. been located?

I’m still waiting for the ultimate roundtable with Jeff Marek.

2 Likes

Chris from Orange County

Recently, Deonna Purazzo tweeted that “it’s 2021 and we no longer comment on other people’s bodies” after being called chunky. Obviously this cannot really be the case. It seems to me, it’s a-ok to discuss Pete Dunne’s quarantine transformation and the mystery of Bobby Lashley’s face scar. For fans and for people in the media like you guys, is there a clear standard to follow regarding body comments? A wrestler’s look has always been a part of the sports entertainment presentation and to just ignore it entirely would be quite silly.

For a long time, the AEW Women’s Division was considered the “weak” part of the roster. Now, I think there’s no doubt it has improved significantly. I even think the argument can be made that it has surpassed the “Women’s Revolution” in the WWE based on the roster and matches the women are having in AEW. Right now, would you put one division over another and if so, why? Do you think theres a fair way to compare the two or is it just a matter of opinion?

Can we get a Review A Wire? I’d love to hear Johns thoughts. The Wire is my favorite show of all time along with the Sopranos.

Imran from Huddersfield

Bit of a random one that may not even have an answer - but when and why did stage names become the done thing in Professional Wrestling? It was obviously a done thing long before Vince wanted to trademark everything, but from my very limited knowledge of historical wresting it seems like many historical figures in wrestling used their real names, so when and why did the shift come in?

Matthew from Vancouver.

Follow up from John’s article on the Speakout Movement and the challenges of media coverage for the issue in North America. Would a Dark Side of the Ring special episode be one way to investigate the allegations more deeply?

1 Like

Do either of you have a dream car you’d love to own if given the chance? Also, what were your first cars?