ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Worst experience with any type of recreational drugs.
ie, bad trips, scary highs, idiot high friends.
Alcohol included of course.
Steve from Cambridge

1 Like

If you guys were both stuck on respective desert islands, what book and what luxury item would you like to have with you ?

Thanks.

Phil from WV,

Congrats on PWPD! Been a LONG while since posting/chatting for me but Iā€™m as tuned in on the podcast side of things as ever. Great work as always, proud paetron.

With AEW being as faction heavy as it is, I think it could be cool for this to lead to some kind of faction based PPV concept and Blood & Guts could main event said show. Could be interesting. Thoughts?

Hey Guysā€¦J From Windsor.

I was curious to ask if either of you have watched Better Call Saul?

If you have watched it, ignore the rest of my post. If you havenā€™t, I know from older podcasts both of you were fans of Breaking Bad, based on that I would strongly recommend it. If Breaking Bad was a 10/10, Better Call Saul is a 9/10 and is the best show on television. In Breaking Bad I found Bob Odenkirk annoying (in an X-Pac heat way), but on Better Call Saul the guy has taken it to the next level and is a great lead. The way they tie things into Breaking Bad as well is next level story telling.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

Imran from Huddersfield

If it was up to you, what would you do with the Fiend? Considering how much merchandise he sells it wouldnā€™t be good business to just drop it coldā€¦ But his segments and matches are so routinely terrible, and his feuds tend to do a number on his opponents (I honestly still donā€™t think Seth Rollins has fully recovered from it)ā€¦ Surely there is a way to use the character better?

I read an article regarding the NBA having a relationship with ā€œClearā€ (Official release found here: https://www.nba.com/news/nba-clear-announce-new-partnership). For the purpose of my question, Iā€™ve linked the ESPN article for those to read: Sources -- NBA expects full arenas for 2021-22 season amid partnership with biometric screening company

Gist of the articles is that the NBA and Clear MAY implement a system in which by taking a selfie and answering health survey questions fans can gain entry to the venues. Question: would this be something that you believe the WWE should implement, AND what are you initial thoughts on this measure?

To note, Iā€™m not a fan, even though Iā€™m fully vaccinated as of yesterday.

How do you guys feel about Botchamania? On one hand I find a lot of it funny, pointing out all the ridiculousness of todays wrestling storylines and stupid lines commentators have to say. But on the other hand to make so many installments of guys just messing up moves seems like todays version of the ā€˜You fucked upā€™ chants. I mainly avoid watching them because I have never been the type of fan that wants to highlight a wrestlers mistake. I donā€™t find the humor in a missed spot and feel bad for the wrestlers. Saying that, I am fine with BTE pointing out mistakes because they are essentially pointing out their own errors and making fun of themselves. (ie Matt Sydal & Michael Nakazawa)

Also, John did you ever take your J.R. Ewing action figure out of the box?

1 Like

B from New York,

Bad Bunny and EVIL both enter the 2021 G1. Who ends it with the highest average match coffee rating?

1 Like

Have you seen the documentary ā€˜The Dissidentā€™ and what did you think?

What do you think of the ā€˜book him like a monsterā€™ philosophy? It seems to me it is outdated and rarely interesting. And ultimately when the monster loses it is usually forgettable. Is this booking philosophy a product of a bygone era?

My question is about pumped in crowd noises and your thoughts on this. As a UK based fan I used to go to the TV tapings here twice a year. They were great fun, the crowds, at times, being the star of the show. Iā€™d often get home, excited to watch the show back and be upset that the WWE has decided to lower the crowd volume or edit it completely and pump their own crowd responses in. Eventually I stopped going because of this.

For me, a live crowd adds so much to a show. Excluding the pandemic era, where theyā€™ve had no choice, have you had similar or different experiences of this? Can you see WWE doing it a lot more with their US audiences?

Two Qs this month:

1. Do either of you have a favorite Strikeforce fight?

2. John, I have become a huge fan of Beverly Hills, 90210 after binge-watching it the past year. I have not seen the reboot from The CW in the late 2000s. Do you recommend it or not?

Hi guys,

Who from the wrestling world would you most like to see fight Logan/Jake Paul? Who do you think would do the best number on PPV?

The name that instantly came to mind is CM Punk. I donā€™t know much about Paul, but he seems like exactly the kind of loud mouth heel that would be perfect to play opposite Punk in the build up to a fight.

Weight classes and fight quality aside, Iā€™m sure that those two could sell a ton of PPVs, and I can see Triller giving Punk a dump truck full of money to make it happen

Thanks guys, keep up the great work.

This would be a good movie review after you finish the Rocky series. Same director as the documentary Icarus.

Hi guys, on a recent show Wai brought up the idea of a WWE version of the upcoming Marvel show ā€œWhat Ifā€¦ā€ , say there was a 6 episode series of that very show, what are some episodes/topics you would like to see?

Cheers

Alex in Edinburgh

John and Wai, I believe journalism is dying a quick death across the board as thereā€™s more money in entertainment/sensational/clickbait news. What are your thoughts on this and have you avoided news sources of any type due to it?

1 Like

Eric from Miami

With the criticisms of too many commercials during the Blood and Guts match, could you see the next time they wanna do a long match on TV AEW & TNT come together to sponsor a commercial free main event match. Theyā€™ve done product placement for Rick and Morty, HBO Max and Kong vs Godzilla. If they wanted to do a main event cage match or 30 minute Iron Match have it sponsored by Tide have Tony read an on air liner and have us focused on just the action

So many things I want to ask - always love these shows!

I was introduced to the great Karim Zidan by one of your POST shows on WWE in Saudi Arabia. As a fairly new MMA fan, Iā€™ve recently gone deep on his terrific work, particularly his regular articles for Bloody Elbow. His work has helped me consider the way I approach the sport, particularly its closeness to unsavoury political figures across the globe and the process of sportswashing. What writers helped to expand your critical thinking on how combat sports operate? Iā€™ll be sitting by my phone noting down the books I need to read, lol.

Jordan from Kitchener,

I just turned 35 and have heard from friends and family that being 35 is the best year to be alive. What was your best year to be alive?

Any chances we get John to say I love you to Brandon from NJ.

Just throwing it out there.

Maybe in an alternate universe.

Love you guys.

Keep up the great work.

1 Like

Hey Guysā€¦J from Windsor.

Out of curiosity, have either of you two bumped around in the ring before? I remember years ago watching Agnew do a segment with Lance Storm where he took some bumps, and Iā€™m curious if either of you have had that experience, and if so, what your thoughts were on how it feels to bump around in the ring. If not, is this something you would do for a bit?