ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Brandon from Oshawa

Last month I asked if you’d be surprised if Bray Wyatt was released…he’s now been released. Punk and Bryan are now most likely heading into AEW. You got 3 members of the Wyatt Family you can potentially bring in as an immediate stable to feud with someone and we all know how much they love stables. Where do you draw the line though on signing ex WWE talent? Vince even cracked the joke about sending them more talent.

Is there a certain level of guy that you take, no matter what if they get released? Does being a former WWE or Universal champion make it a no brainer that a guy should be signed by AEW?

Sal from California.

If you could time travel to any time period and interview any wrestler, who would you interview and what would you ask them about?

Do you think an NXT Takeover could still sell out an arena the size of the Barclays Centre? I find it interesting that they’re not going on the road for Takeover 36 on SummerSlam weekend. Seems to me they might be concerned the appetite is no longer there with AEW fulfilling that role for the hardcore fan.

2 Likes

The Rock has done it all in WWE except get inducted into their Hall of Fame. When do you think he will get inducted?

Joe from Hamilton:

Can CM punk and Colt cabana coexist in aew. They used to be beat of friends, and now…not so much

John, what is the update on your yearly reading? Any wrestling or non-wrestling recommendations? I’ve slipped on my goals due to life getting in the way, but seeing others’ reading adventures helps to motivate me.

1 Like

Anthony from Detroit

Hey guys!

With all the movement of wrestlers from wwe to aew I was wondering what AEW wrestler you’d like to see move to the wwe? Or what AEW wrestler would be a better fit on the wwe main roster?

Robbie from London Ontario,

Couple of things guys. First any updates on Rampage airing in Canada? And two did you guys see Dragongate’s Kobe World, and if so what did you think?

Have a great day!

Both as friends and in a professional context, what are some qualities that each of you admire in the other?

2 Likes

With WWE showing they are willing to release guys like Bray Wyatt and Braun Strowman, what do you think that means for the labour market for wrestlers? If the WWE signals that they are willing to release high paid talent at the top of the card, does that push the value of contract offers down from AEW, Impact and ROH because the WWE may not want to get into bidding wars as often in the future for talent? And does this mark and end to the short lived new golden age of wrestlers having the advantage in the labour market?

Thanks!

Mahalo maleakahana aleelahlehallehalll gents been a minute how are you happy civic day to my civic owner Canadian brothers and sisters(call back to me being able to change oil on a civic and wh “106 and” park chiding me) anywho quick question with the talent you have accumulated during these three years of excellence have you ever thought of expanding your empire on Patreon to doing more film stuff like cooking segments comedy spoofs etc? I mean if someone awesome had an idea would you be open to pitch meetings. Just my thoughts, by the way it’s 15 in Toronto as I write this while at work at my shoot job hit me up bros!

Brandon from NJ

PS I have a joke what do you call an American bee, a usb. Lmaooooo Love you guys

1 Like

hey Wai + John! hope you guys are good as you near the end of this mammoth mailbag (or the start if I missed the cut-off)

what’s your go-to order when it comes to Carribean food? I’m based in London so the community is an important part of the city, and I envision it being the same, or more so, in your neck of the woods! hopefully someone hears this question and tries roti for the first time, it’ll change your life.

thanks for all the great work

1 Like

Did Otis have the worst calendar year for a “prospective” wrestler in WWE history?

• Won MITB
  • Feuded over his girlfriend
  • Lost his girlfriend (who lost her hair and then switched shows)
  • Lost his best friend, who then disappeared before he could get revenge
  • Lost his briefcase to a man who would later cash it in and become champion
  • Was not involved in the past MITB nor was mentioned at all during its build up.

Is there any backstage “heat” that we’re unaware of or was this truly a case of Roman Reigns coming back stomping out an entire MITB run? When you think about his calendar year to me it feels like a millionaire who blows all their money, but the story wasn’t told in that fashion on TV.

1 Like

It’s easy to make fun of the Thunderdome era, and I certainly grew tired of it. But what, if anything, do you guys think WWE could have done differently during the worst of the pandemic lockdown? They could have gone the wrestlers-in-stands-with-masks route, but obviously, that was not necessarily the safest option for performers or the crowd. Should have they have done socially distanced outdoor shows a la AEW? Just done shows without any crowd or piped-in noise? Or was the Thunderdome the best of a bad situation?

I apologize if this has been asked before but how does Nielsen gather demographic statistics? How do they know who is watching? Are specific members of a household not allowed to share the TV (connected to the box) with, say, their spouse or children or do they have log into an individual account before each person watches something? It’s something I’ve always been curious about when I hear demographic numbers. Thanks in advance and thanks for all you do.

-Suren (in Portland)

1 Like

Roy from Rhode Island

Hi John & Wai,

As two people in long-term relationships (congrats on the wedding, Wai), what have you found to be the keys to ensuring they are and remain healthy and mutually fulfilling, broadly speaking? John, how much has becoming parents affected this?

To end this on a less heavy note, where were your first dates with your significant others?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: REWIND-A-RAW 8/2/21: Flair vs. A.S.H., Goldberg, Bray Wyatt

Aram from Denmark.

As a feedback to your answer from last month. No, I never have doubted anyone of you were biased. It was more on how you stayed neutral or in reviewing something crossed your minds that “oh, I cant give this a pass because I would never give another company a pass on this type of booking”

And my question for this month is if the TNA style of booking had been around now. Which modern TV series would they have been inspired from now like they did back in 2010s with Sons of Anarchy and Dexter.

Could we see gimmicks based on Better Call Saul, Stranger Things, Succession,The Boys, Wandavision and what could actually work if it were up to you?

1 Like

Thanks for the great work and for chatting about Carribean food on the last episode! I hope everyone has a nice can of Ting, maybe some sorrell afterwards.

After listening to WH’s Long and Winding Royal Road, I remembered how Jun Akiyama was a real hot prospect - a Super Rookie if you will! What current wrestlers early in their careers do you think are true Super Rookies, where the upside is so obvious early on? For instance, when I saw Utami Hayashishita debut in 2018, it was undeniable to me that she was the real deal.

Thanks as always!

1 Like

As the POST Wrestling Archivist, I feel I have some self-imposed responsibilities and one of those is to continually highlight John’s impression abilities. For those who don’t know, I have an audio file of the Top 170 John Pollock impressions that is now 4 years old. I have noted all the impressions John has done in those 4 years and will eventually make an updated list. I thought it would be fun for Wai to give John a little quiz on impressions he has or has not done. So John, have you or have you not done impressions for the following individuals? Wai, the answers are below.

1. Mean Gene Okerlund
  2. Kane
  3. Steven Seagal
  4. Jimmy Korderas
  5. The Rock
  6. Dana White
  7. Stu Hart
  8. Chyna
  9. Jerry Lawler
  10. Jack Swagger
Answers

1.No