ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Jason from Vancouver

As a gay wrestling fan, I’ve been grappling recently with how I feel about the Briscoes and whether they deserve an opportunity in AEW despite past comments, especially as there seems to be a consensus in the wrestling community that they should be given another chance.

What bothers me is people seem ready to forgive Jay who said abhorrent and dangerous things while everyone was quick to condemn Brian Kendrick. While both cases are horrible, I would argue Jay’s comments that were an open call to incite violence on Twitter were more dangerous than conspiracy theories espoused by a kook on a podcast.

So I ask - what makes the Briscoes situation different? Is it level of stardom, the subject of the comments, the fact it was only Jay that uttered them? I just struggle to understand why there seems to be such a rush to defend someone who advocated direct violence not just against gay people but anyone who would suggest it’s even “normal”.

Walter from Texas

Do you know the status of Todd Sinclair? I felt like he was the most glaring omission from Supercard of Honor as far as long tenured people who were there til the end.

1 Like

Excluding the Eastern and Pacific time zones, where would you two live in North America? From my perspective John has a strong upper-midwest personality, and I feel he would be a St. Paul resident. Wai would likely be the prototypical Coloradan, Boulder or Denver, who would discover he’s at peace with his new environment and humble-brag about it in conversations.

If both were to move to the same city I’d bet it would be Chicago, as it would be the compromise city for both personalities.

James from norwich England
I know neither of you are football (soccer) fans but it’s a big deal that Canada have qualified for a World Cup in December and I wondered what your thoughts are and if you will watch it? They have a very exciting team.

Jake from The Windy City:

Hey guys, can’t thank you enough for all the great stuff on the POST Wrestling Store over the years. Happy to have bought sublime T-shirt designs as well as a great Wrestlenomics mug.
Was it always your intention from the beginning to open up your own T-shirt store? Was there any consideration of continuing to team up with Pro Wrestling Tees before deciding on this?

Also, you think you guys will return to the occasional movie review now that it’s been a while since the Rocky reviews or has TALK pretty much taken that over?

Cheers!

With news of Tyson Fury vs Francis Ngannou being a possibility in the near future and the increase in MMA fighters crossing over into boxing for big business, could you see anyone from the world of wrestling crossing over and trying their hand in a spectacle boxing fight? Is there anyone in wrestling with a big enough name to draw in fans for a fight, as well as have the skills to not emberass themselves? Cena vs Paul or Lesnar vs Fury anyone? More importantly, would you be interested enough to watch?

Sal from California

Who would be your dream opponent for Toru Yano at the Forbidden Door ppv?

1 Like

I was wondering while listening to John do solo recaps for the Impact Rebellion show if there’s a match or MMA fight you recall so vividly you could attempt to do the play by play recap for it from memory alone?

San Diego + Lego fan = Lego World. How was it?

Anthony from Detroit

Less than a month in WWE and Cody is the biggest star on Raw. Does that say more about AEW’s ability to make new stars or WWE’s inability to make new stars?

Cheers!

Nas

I apologise for the heavy handed question.

I haven’t followed the product for a while. I specifically remember dipping out during the whole #SpeakingOut movement. It left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Are there any updates you can provide to the #SpeakingOut movement? Has there been any meaningful change coming out of that? Any consequences for the perpetrators? Support for the victims? Are there any safeguards in place going forward for future performers? Or was the whole thing completely just swept under the rug in the hopes that most people will just forget about it? If that was the case, they’ve been quite successful I’d say as I’ve barely found any meaningful updates in my very brief search on Google.

Rory from the Poconos

Hi Wai and John.

I’m curious, as highly respective wrestling journalists, do you both feel obligated to read wrestling spoilers due to your positions? If so, does that take away from your excitement and interest in the wrestling business?

1 Like

Roy from Rhode Island

Hi Guys,

1. WWE has a wellness policy that was instituted as a reactive move following Eddie Guerrero’s death (and which apparently doesn’t apply to part-timers), and I’ve never been clear on what AEW’s drug testing/wellness policy is, if any. Most mainstream sports have clear policies and procedures when it comes to drug testing, while in entertainment, the use of steriods/HGH etc. seems to be treated with a wink, a nod, and a Men’s Health cover story about how “diet and exercise” were solely responsible for the latest Marvel star’s transformation into an Adonis.

Given the unqiue grey area pro wrestling occupies between sports and entertainment, what are your own personal views on how wrestling companies should treat this area in the modern day?

1. John, your work will semi-regularly cite your source/sources to confirm information on injuries, booking plans, or when you break stories like the Vince/McAfee match at Wrestlemania. Be as general/vague as you need to be on this question from a journalistic standpoint, but could you discuss the process of establishing sources within wrestling companies, verifying their information and maintaining those relationships?

Hey guys.

We’ve seen Netflix drop because of Wall Street’s expectations for continual and never-ending revenue growth. The same motivation now drives WWE.

Recently, you’ve been expanding Post to try and expand your revenue and scope (which we all support).

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the balance – both for you personally in Post, and for larger companies – about this endless drive for growth.

I think we all can relate to wanting to expand and keep growing; but at some point, it seems like it can become its own monster. It seems easier for a small, private business like yours to manage, but I’d love your thoughts on those dynamics.

1 Like

Anthony from Melbourne

John, you have mentioned in some recent podcasts you have been reading a book about the failure of the aol merger with time warner.

I am unfamiliar with the merger being a failure but it sounds like an interesting topic, what was the name of the book and I don’t mind spoilers so what were your overall thoughts on the book itself?

I would also be interested to hear your take on how the failure of this merger impacted wrestling? (I’m assuming it contributed to the fall of WCW)

Thanks for all the hard work guys, love what you do!

Luk from Quebec!

I think most wrestling fans are somewhat familiar with Botchamania, and I know you guys are too, but how much Botchamania have you watched? Do you keep up with it at all? Do you have a favorite botch in wrestling that has really stuck with you over the years?

I apologize in advance as I’m sure you’ve answered this before but - What is your favourite Wrestlemania?

James - Liverpool

Ive just watched wrestlemania 19 - Brocks top rope plunge has to be the worse botch ever

Robbie, from London Ontario

As someone who’s gotten into F1 from you guys talking about Drive to Survive, and checking it out myself, I’d love to hear what teams or drivers you’ve gravitated too, and if you’d consider maybe a Patreon podcast talking about each race. The more John & Wai F1 talk the better! Keep up the awesome work guys.

Has there been a point where either of you has wanted to stop watching RAW or Smackdown based on either WWE’s gaffes as a company and their bad faith treatment of talent, or just how poor the content of the shows are?