ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

In reference to John’s game with Ariel in the MMA year end show, are you guys green bubbles or blue bubbles? Any particular reason why? Do you all remember when you got your first cell phone and what it was?

Inspired by the great biography episodes of The Long And Winding Royal Road, which of the All Japan Four Pillars is your favourite? Not necessarily “the best” in terms of drawing, influence, or even workrate, but whose matches or style do you find yourself enjoying the most? Feel free to include Akiyama as the Fifth Pillar if you want.

1 Like

Luk from Quebec!

When the WWE Network launched in 2014, I remember how controversial of a decision it was. Many claimed Vince had lost his touch and business savvy, while others said this was being ahead of the curve and taking a risk that would pay off in the long term. There’s no mistake that streaming services have become the standard in 2022, but now that we’re almost a decade removed, how would you assess the decision to launch the Network at the time?

Hey John and Wai. On a recent Podcast, Wai mentioned a breaking story from Ringside News, but noted that you guys don’t normal classify them as a credible source. My question is, how do you determine which source is credible and why? And what process do you have to back check a source before you report it?

Which wrestler of today would Andy Kaufman have the best feud with?

2 Likes

Hey both, I have recently started my own youtube channel and wondered if you had any tips for new content creators to be successful?

If anyone is interested I’m keen to hear comments and feedback.

Thanks guys and keep up the excellent work.

Jack

1 Like

Hi guys, was bored one day and started watching some old clips for the LAW days and I had a few questions?

1. Update from an old question who is the better driver?

2. Any plans on some unboxing videos? Really loved them.

3. Did you guys get to keep the LJN’s from your old set?

Thank you guys.

2 Likes

If Vince was to leave WWE (I don’t want to say die) tomorrow who would run things now it seems HHH has been pushed aside?
James - Liverpool

1 Like

Imran from Huddersfield

Not asking you to get into too specific numbers/details - but do you remember any specific podcast milestones in terms of listener numbers that stand out? When you first started recording in the broom closest all those years ago, did you have a specfic number of listeners you were hoping to hit or were you just happy that anyone at all was listening? And at what point did you both realise - hey, people actually care about what we have to say!

And yes, all these years later we still care very much what you both have to say!

Thanks
Imran from Huddersfield.

1 Like

Alan from Ireland.

Meant to ask this last month but I still think it is a relevant question.

As you may already be aware, right before Tom Brady announced his retirement, ESPN reporters Adam Schefter and Jeff Darlington broke the the news, leading to days of speculation as to whether their sources were correct as it seemed Brady might have been having seconds thoughts on retiring, ultimately he did retire a short while after but was reportedly annoyed that Schefter and Darlington broke the news, hence the delay. Opinions were mostly split as to whether it was ethically right or wrong that Schefter and Darlington announced it ahead of Brady himself, with some saying Brady should’ve been allowed to announce it on his own terms while other stating reporters should report the news as soon as they get it.

As journalists yourselves I’m interested to hear your perspective, should they have sat on the retirement news and let Brady announce it himself or were they right to break the news ahead of him?
If this was Kenny Omega years from now what would you do?

Thanks.

Edit: since I posted this, he’s come back out of retirement, classic pro wrestler move.

Sal from California

I had a debate about this with a friend and I was curious on your thoughts.

In your opinion who is a better wrestler: the Ultimate Warrior or Goldberg?

While both were pretty limited and heavily relied on their look, I give Warrior the edge based on his matches with Hogan, Savage and Dibiase.

Amit from London

Do you guys still consider yourselves “wrestling fans” or has the move to post Wrestling and it becoming your full time job made it more of a ‘job’ and a requirement to watch rather than watching for pleasure? Do you think you’d still be watching if you had different jobs?

P.s. happy birthday to you both

Branavan From Ajax: If you guys could pick one band or musician to have their own version of the Beatles “Get Back” documentary who would you choose? Basically the act you choose would have had the same level of documentation, editing and format as the Beatles did in this scenario.

1 Like

Ari from montreal

Do you think there too many careless table spots on AEW? I feel that many are unnessary and just plain dangerous. That Sammy 630 table spot recently comes to mind.

Anthony from Detroit,

Wai, a few years ago during Raw reviews, you mentioned your nephew being over and watching and he gave his options on the show. My questions, how is he doing and is he watching wrestling?

Thank you!

1 Like

As someone who is right at the same age as John and Wai I think the fact that we all experienced wrestling moments at the same age is what originally drew me to your podcasts back in 2012. So on the topic of age, at what age/what year did you two realize that WWE was really not your top wrestling priority anymore? I have two times. When Raw expanded to three hours in late 2012 I stopped watching Raw religiously as I had been doing since 1997. When the main event of a PPV in 2017 (I think) was Jinder Mahal in world title programs I stopped religiously watching the PPV’s or whatever they’re called now. Just curious as someone who went through all of the same stories/moments at the same age.

1 Like

Dan from Chicago,

John I heard you mention at one point you followed Formula 1. Have you seen the “Drive to Survive” series on Netflix? Much like how the Ultimate Fighter exploded mma in the mid 2000’s this show has brought a ton of new eyes to the sport in North America. It’s popularity even caused people to question the ending to the final race last year as it seemed a little too “made for tv.”

Anyways, can’t thank you guys enough for helping me get through the work weeks since 2014. Keep up the great work.

1 Like

Rod from England.

Will we ever see Post Wrestling represented at an AEW press conference following one of their PPVs?

1 Like

Anthony from Melbourne

AEWs over bloated roster has already been widely discussed but what are your thoughts on talents like Mark Henry and Paul Wights use?

I imagine they do a lot backstage to help the younger talent but both come to AEW off the back of being underused in WWE with “one more run” in them. Mark didn’t last on commentary and Paul’s one match to date was more than forgettable.

Do you think they would be happy with their use in the company and what could be done to utilise them better on-screen, if you think they even should be?

In my opinion Christian is an example of a similar talent coming over that they have utilised on screen much better.

heya, happy belated birthday to you both! I never knew you were both Pisces.

my question: do you have any interest in that classic 90s shoot/puro hybrid scene? I’m thinking Battlarts in particular - I get confused whether Pancrase and UWFI count. Big Mouth Loud, too (although that’s early noughties.) have you had any interest in revisiting any hybrid wrestling? thanks :slight_smile: