ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Excluding licensed music, what wrestler entrance themes would you consider your personal favorites? Would any ever make it onto one of your Spotify playlists?

Luk from Québec!

What do you think were the biggest positives and negatives from Lucha Underground? Could you see another show with a similar format come back and what influence do you think it’s had on the current product, if any?

Guys, this is more of a personal question if you don’t mind me indulge and if you don’t feel comfortable talking about it, I understand. Just wondering if either of you are religious at all? For me, I am passionate about the faith and with Christmas, I really believe that Christ is the true reason for the season. He rescued me from a path of darkness I was in as a teenager both mentally and emotionally. I’m still not perfect by any means but accepting Christ into my life gave me a better outlook on life, and a true love for myself and for others in a way that far exceeds any dreams I had for myself. Sorry for the tangent, but how about for you both on how you look at faith?

Hope you both a peaceful and Merry Christmas coming up. Grateful for this community.

1 Like

Do you guys have any insight into the finish of wrestlemania 9? I vaguely remember reading that (unsurprisingly) Bret was less than pleased to be letting Hogan take the glory but I have never really found out the story around how that finish came about and the aftermath of it.

Thanks for everything you guys provide us and wishing you and your families a wonderful festive period.

Amit from London

1 Like

Anthony from Melbourne

(Please skip if it has already been discussed in the past)

I did leave a voice memo but the mailbag looked a bit light this month so I had a bonus question if your happy to read it (I can always re-post next month if not).

Wai mentioned in passing recently that he took up Uber driving for a period.

Do you have any interesting stories from your time being an Uber driver?

Did you have any rowdy party animals that you had to calm down, maybe someone made a mess, or maybe you overheard a phone call that seemed shady and you couldn’t wait to drop that passenger off?

Or was it just a standard uninteresting job that wasn’t all that eventful?

Jesse from the 6

If I may be allowed a second question:

Wai, you mentioned last night on Rewind-A-Dynamite that you’ve read some Beatles books this year. Which ones did you read? My favourite is Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald. In it, MacDonald goes through every Beatles song in the order they were recorded and lists who played which instruments and discusses the song’s composition. It’s excellent.

Take Care

1 Like

Hey guys,

I noticed that SNME Radio created a new show bringing back the “Live Audio Wrestling” title. I was just wondering if you guys heard about this happening before it came out, if you have heard it and your thoughts on the title being used again.

Thanks.

1 Like

Is there any word on why AEW stars and merchandise aren’t plastered everywhere in the same vein as WWE’s? Do you feel this is a budgetary issue or a strategy? I remember as a young child seeing equal amounts of WWF & WCW in places, but as I was Christmas shopping my local Walmart had about 4 AEW action figures in totality, with countless WWE affairs. I see commercials with WWE stars but can’t recall the first or last time seeing the equivalent with AEW…

Hey Guys

Reports are that the Toronto Bluejays were in play for Shohei Ohtani for around $600 Billion dollars.
Do you as casual fans expect anything from the team in terms of signing free agents in the future? Does ownership owe it to the fanbase now that it is known they have half a Billion dollars to spend on talent? Like in wrestling, would signing 2 or 3 stars with that money raise your interest level any? I feel like John seemed to enjoy his baseball experiences this summer and the new rules really do speed up the game for a better watch.

Thanks
PETE

Luk from Québec!

Hey guys! I wanted to ask you, while I’m sure you’ve gotten used to it and have developed a shell over the years, have you ever been shaken or affected by a negative comment or message that you received? Just in general, as somewhat public figures, how do you handle or deal with negativity online?

Appreciate all the work you do to keep us informed and entertained!

note: This question arised after the first Strickland conference where he dropped the homophobia.

I’ve been a hardcore MMA fan since the Rampage slam on Arona, where teenage me was astonished a powerbomb worked in a real fight.

But it’s only in the last few years, where I’ve felt a burden being a fan of the sport due to the inherent bullshit rampant at every sector of it.

This “bullshit” includes but is not limited to fighters being exploited by their promotions, inconsistent matchmaking, and a toxic culture of fans and promotion that has reached Jerry Springer levels of cringe.

So now onto my questions:

• Wai, when did you start disengaging from being a fan? Was it just due to lack of bandwidth or was it a lack of interest?
  • John, have you ever felt so disgusted you considered stepping away from covering the sport? And are there any conditions within the sport which would make you second guess covering it?

Thanks,
Adi

Hey guys,
it’s Minky here :wink:

Sorry, I don’t know where the idea has come from but I had this weird Brandon-esque thought for hours now and can’t stop giggling about the image in my mind.

Which one of you would enter Joey Janela’s Clusterfuck if you had to make a choice? And what would be a prop to bring with you at the entrance? Bronze medal, lego bricks, stop watch, JR Ewing bourbon?

2 Likes

Hi guys,

First time poster, long time listener. As a fellow Torontonian, I have recently developed an interest in learning more about the local history of wrestling and wrestling promotion in our city. Have there been any decent books written on the subject over the years? Any you would recommend?

Thanks for the years of entertainment while waiting for the TTC!

Hobart

Alexander from Portland

What are your predictions for Darby Allin this year? What crazy stunts will he perform outside of the ring? How successful will he be after Sting retires? Do you think he’ll successfully climb Mount Everest? What feuds do you think are possible for him?

I have a bold prediction: he’ll get hit by a car either on TV or PPV and it won’t be the finish of a match

With TV rights still all the rage of the news cycle - a few questions for you guys…

• Do you see USA pushing for a third hour of SmackDown?

• With RAW goes to Netflix - do you seeing that it stays three hours? I would guess for streaming especially, they’d be open to even more content and try to stretch out even more out of RAW?

• With RAW moving off linear television (and potentially off Mondays) would you agree with the idea that it would make a lot of sense for AEW to move Collision to Monday nights (even as an experiment) to try and pick-up habitual viewers on Mondays? Or even as an experiment for Winter 2025 after the NFL season has finished?

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Thanks for everything you do.

(This question was written immediately following the announcement of Sting/Darby vs. The Young Bucks, so things may have changed since then)

What are your thoughts on Sting retiring undefeated in AEW, vs. the old-school mentality of “going out on your back?”

I think that many fans assumed that the Sting story would end with him putting Darby over on the way out to give something to the “next generation”. While I can’t say for sure that Sting and Darby are beating the Bucks, even if the Bucks win, are they the guys who should be retiring Sting?

Are we past the idea that a veteran should be putting over young guys on their way out?

Roy from Rhode Island

Hi John & Wai,

One of the perennial conversations about New Japan, particularly around the time of the G1 every year is about the possibility of junior heavyweights (Ospreay in years past and Hiromu more recently) being included and “moved up” more broadly. Ospreay was ultimately able to do so, but it seemingly took bulking up and a degree of change to his in-ring style. Short of others from this division also taking this or a similar approach, do you think this barrier is ever likely to be broken with any regularity, or is it too ingrained at this point?

Do you see the “new” WWE x AJPW partnership as a success and does that mean we see WWE x NJPW & WWE x STARDOM & WWE x NOAH in 2024 even with what is going on with the future of AEW x NJPW possibly being a “loophole forbidden door” in the fans eyes?

Hi fellas

To this day watching MMA, there are fights I watch where upon first glance, I would strongly disagree with the judges decisions when it goes to decision.

John, I don’t know if you’ve talked about how you personally judge at length when covering events, but what are some of your methods into scoring a bout with the 10-point must system? Are there some aspects you’re looking for more than others such as octagon control, strikes, takedowns, etc?

Imran from Huddersfield

As the recent accusations are not just at Vince, but as the WWE of a whole and speaking to the work-place culture, how are we to wrestle with the idea that there is a decent possibility that many people in the company - and many performers that we know and love - were complicit, or at the very least knew all about it?

Its obviously not helpful to speculate or guess at names, but will knwoing this marr the way you watch past events, and even the current product? Or do you not tar anything with this brush until names are actually brought forward? Sorry if this question is a bit of a ramble or doesn’t make sense, but I myself am just trying to get my head around the fact that I could be going back and watching/enjoying performers who maybe have done hideous things… which I suppose is like Benoit, except there you know who it is and what he did.