ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Hello

On a recent edition of Raw you mentioned how Gunther looked great in a suit and looked ready for prom. With that, what were the John Pollock and Wai Ting prom experiences like?

Thanks Guys
Pete

Hey guys,

I remember both of you mentioning you’ve never tailgated before. With SummerSlam coming to Cleveland in August, let me know if there’s any interest in a Post Wrestling pre-show tailgate. There will likely be many others so we wouldn’t be the only group tailgating.

That being said, what is your favorite ethnic food (Mexican, Chinese Thai, etc)

Thanks!

Brian in Cleveland

Kurtis from the 519-

When discussing the best wrestlers in the world (Both current and all-time), people often speak about those who deliver in big, PPV main events such as a Flair, Michaels, Ospreay, Okada, Omega, Hogan, Austin etc. You don’t often hear about people who deliver great week to week performances on live TV. Do you think the art of TV wrestling is something that should be talked about more? It’s one thing to deliver when you have 20-30 minutes to work with on a PPV, its another thing to deliver a good match with 10 minutes and a commercial break on TV. Who are some of the best TV wrestlers both current and all time, and is this a skill that people should talk about more

Alexander from Portland

What are the chances of The Miz entering the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame? He’s always been a great promo, and while he hasn’t been the flashiest in the ring he’s always ‘fine’ at worst. He had his own TV show, main evented a WrestleMania, and has been able to avoid injuries for a majority of his career. He’s been entertaining in a tag team whether it’s with John Morrison, R-Truth, or even Shane McMahon. He was a good heel as World Champ, a solid Mr Money in the Bank, and his midcard runs were good too. I feel he’s got big potential to be in the Hall of Fame but that his detractors would point to his underwhelming matches and numerous bad angles/feuds. What are your thoughts?

With the success of The Iron Claw, do you guys think a movie or series about the Hart Family and Stampede Wrestling can also be a feasible idea as well? I think I saw somewhere that Nattie herself was trying to pitch around that story.

Bill from Orlando

What was the reasoning for the names you gave your kids? Oscar? Max? Evie?

What do you think the average age is of your post marks?

Burak from the UK.

For John: In your opinion, how many sentences should a paragraph of writing include? I’ve noticed that you often use 2 sentences, which is something that Barack Obama mentioned in one of his books and it’s always stayed with me.

For Wai: I was listening to Braden and Davie review Kill Bill recently. Braden mentioned that he thought you had dressed your son up as Uma Thurman, in the famous Yellow Jumpsuit. It was of course, inspired by Bruce Lee’s jumpsuit from Game of Death. Can you speak about your Bruce Lee fandom? Do you have a favourite film of Bruce Lee? And have you ever seen the biographical film, Dragon? Me and my friend both started martial arts at a young age due to our Turkish parents renting us Bruce Lee films, so I am fascinated by him.

Dustin from Maui:

Pre-WrestleMania: I’m watching Ariel Helwani’s interview with Cody Rhodes. As the top babyface, there’s always been that weird balance of chasing the title/winning the title. And that weird plateau of “being interesting” after winning the title. Is there a way to keep the babyface/champ fresh after the major title win?

Aram from Denmark/Sweden

Hi John and Wai. A couple of questions if you dont mind.

First. Which theme songs do you think, fits the wrestlers personality the most nowadays. Not asking which theme song is the best, just the some you think adds alot or maybe some that could need something. For an example imo Hangman Pages theme, adds alot to his presentation of his gimmick while it might not be the best theme ever.

Secondly, I just to have a bad habit of watching Aew Dark. Each week I saw Ethan Page and Matt Hardy in a segment around Ethan Page owning Matt Hardys contract. Do you know if Matt Hardy have some childhood trauma from signing contracts or WWE screwed him in a legit contract since everything around Matt Hardy the last several years evolves around contracts?
If this is some way for him have therapy , then I might need to view his contract storylines in another way.

Luk from Quebec!

Piggybacking a bit from the Punk All In footage situation, I’ve been seeing a lot of comments online about how it’s not a big deal to have scuffles backstage in a pro wrestling setting. Sounds like a lot of people (Punk included) feel that fights are a normal aspect of sports, especially contact sports. I’ve definitely always noticed that fights seem much more tolerated at say, a hockey game, as opposed to an office desk job. When does something go from athletes getting into a scrap, to assaulting your coworker in the workplace? What are your thoughts on this double standard?

1 Like

One of the things I appreciate most about POST Wrestling is how you treat the job seriously and use professionalism when at a press conference, are conducting interviews, or using social media.

On the other hand, without naming names, there are multiple prominent wrestling journalists that spend seemingly hours per week arguing with people on Twitter and engaging with bad-faith commentators.

I find this to be extremely off-putting and think it makes the whole industry look bad. When you look at prominent news reporters for other sports, such as Adrian Wojanaworski for the NBA or Adam Schefter of the NFL, they don’t use their social media accounts for anything other than breaking news, and they certainly don’t waste time arguing with Twitter trolls.

My question is, how do you view social media accounts for journalists, particularly in the wrestling space? Do you think they should be used primarily for sharing news, or am I overreacting to them using it as their outlet for arguing with people and engaging in the discourse.

Hey guys, as a sports finance nerd, my question is around the upcoming SmackDown to USA TV deal.

In hindsight, do you think WWE didn’t get the best they could have from the deal? They just announced their 18th straight TV sellout. Multiple gate records. The WrestleMania business and mainstream coverage was insane. TV ratings are through the roof especially considering the how hyped March Madness was this year. Cody Rhodes is red hot. Not to mention, they now have The Rock to dangle in negotiations with a potential Cody Rhodes vs Rock program.

Didn’t get me wrong, 1.4x increase is still good. However, seeing the coverage ESPN/Disney were happy to give WM and the ratings The Rock segments did for Fox, I wonder if currently there would have been more suitors for SmackDown now compared to 6 months ago.

Ian from Best Film Ever

Hey Jon and Wai

Jey Uso has had 2 seemingly ‘can’t miss’ feuds with Roman Reigns and Jey Uso, yet the end result has been either ‘boring’ with Roman Reigns to ‘bad’ with Jimmy Uso.

If you were WWE, would you be tempted to put him back into a tag team with Jimmy ASAP? (As I write this, Jimmy’s just been seemingly turfed from The Bloodline by Solo and the debuting Tama Tonga), or does match quality not matter as long as the character is over?

Thanks for everything you do. You remain the industry standard.

Dave from Toronto

Hey John and Wai,

Seeing Jade Cargill’s debut in WWE and the grandeur of Cody Rhodes’ WrestleMania entrance got me wondering: Do you make anything of the fact that the two notable AEW to WWE defections (Cody and Jade) both maintained almost identical presentations as they had in AEW once arriving in WWE? In terms of look, production and entrance, both are replicating their AEW presentations quite closely, but on a larger scale with higher end production values. While AEW is said to allow wrestlers to have more creative freedom in their characters, WWE has historically been known to want to create stars from scratch in its own image.
Is it simply a matter of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” a sign of shifting attitudes within WWE, or is there something more intentional — a subliminal message from WWE to AEW talent that if you come to WWE, we will take what’s already working for you and maximize it in a way that AEW can’t.

Daniel from London (England). Day one Patron, first time poster.

With the recent departure of Kevin Dunn there’s been a renewed spotlight on pro-wrestling production. And while there are loads I could groan over (why must all wrestling shows look the same?) there’s one trope in particular that seems to have been overlooked and which drives me mad. WWE does it. AEW does it. TNA does it. ROH does it.

I’m talking – of course – about the mid-move camera cut. Wrestler one has wrestler two in the corner, they charge, leap, and just before impact… cut. It happens on every single move. Suplexes, patented strikes, top rope dives. You name it.

One recent example that renewed my frustration was during Okada’s squash match on Dynamite, where the camera cut just as he landed his drop kick… taking away from an otherwise beautifully fluid move.

Do companies not trust wrestlers to make moves look impactful without a camera cut?

Hi Wai and John.

Rory from the Poconos,

My apologies if this question has been asked before, but not to be grim but if/when Vince McMahon passes away, will the WWE pay tribute to him on television?

1 Like

Daniel from Vancouver.

Do you think the WWE will split Wrestlemania over two locations by Wrestlemania 50? Night 1 could be an international location like London or Saudi Arabia and Night 2 somewhere in the USA.

Anthony from Melbourne

What are both your stances on approaching celebrities in public?

I ask because a few months back I was a local American BBQ for dinner, it was almost closing time & there were only 2 other tables being occupied. On one of them I noticed Tommy Lee with a group of 5 people, at first I wasn’t sure but after hearing the American accent I was certain (since he was on tour here at the time).

He had food in front of him but wasn’t actively eating, while I would have loved to have said hello and grabbed a quick photo with him, I just couldn’t bring myself to interrupt his dinner or group (he also had a big guy with him that seemed like he could be his security).

Did I do the right thing and how would you like to be treated if you were Tommy Lee in that situation?

I imagine mania weekend there may have been some similar occurrences for you guys, did anyone overstep in approaching either of you?

Mahmood from Bahrain,

A while back, John stated that if a referendum were held today on whether or not Benoit should be removed from the WON Hall of Fame, he would vote yes, as the final days of Benoit’s life have far overshadowed his wrestling career. My question is: If a similar vote were done for Vince, would either of you guys vote to remove him or allow him to stay? Do you think it is possible that in ten years’ time, the Janel Grant case would be the complete story of Vince McMahon, similar to how the Murder/Suicide is for Benoit?

Also: any chance that the Vince/Grant civil case could be completely televised like the Johnny Depp Amber Heard trial?

I am in the midst of booking a trip to Toronto in June. The community gave some great spots to visit. My low-ball question: what are you all’s favorite restaurants? Not particularly what are Toronto’s, but specifically where do you all eat? Absolutely zero judgement, though in my head John just heard this question and is already squirming and feeling judged. :slight_smile:

1 Like