ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Has there been any comment from any of the McMahons not named Vince regarding the lawsuit?

1 Like

Hey Guys

I remember in 2023 the discussion about betting on WWE/Wrestling matches and outcomes. With Jontay Porter of the Raptors getting banned for life for working with someone to manipulate the over/under on his minutes played by faking injury and illness during games, how likely could this happen in wrestling? I know its rare but things happen and match finishes sometimes change during matches (Fenix vs Mox or Willow vs Mone). If somebody was to receive a ban for life, do you think most promotions also ban said wrestler? Im sure AEW would givin the Jaguars situation with a rouge employee stealing, but would other countries like the UK , Japan and smaller indy promotions follow suit? Also, would you put a ban on gambling on your own “sport” as other sports leagues have?

Thanks
Pete

Steve Grows Weed

I’m sitting here stoned looking at my dog, looking at me with her big stupid smile and thinking, “I fucking love this dog!”
Are either of you guys dog people? Would you consider having, or do you already own any pets?

1 Like

Hey John and Wai,

I was watching the recent Sting retirement match again and realised in the opening hype video, the one going through stings career and noticed that AEW used no footage at all from Stings TNA days. Was there any known reason for this? I don’t remember hearing anything about things going sour between the two companies but there was a good 10+ years of sting footage that could have been useful.

Thanks for your time guys.

Éanna (Irish name, pronounced “eh-na”) :grinning:

As you know, I’m usually a little behind when it comes to watching shows and listening to podcasts. So I’ve just really gotten into the in-depth coverage of the Janel Grant story from February and am listening to a lot of shows from that time. In the review shows from those weeks, John often says how tired and drained he is from working those days. So my question for John: What drives you to pursue this profession? What is your personal motivation for investing so much energy that there seems to be little left in the end of some weeks and why do you think it’s worth it?

If SmackDown moves nights once it goes to USA Network, do you think Collision would perform better if it moved to SmackDown’s old slot on Friday night? Rampage would move or be scrapped in this hypothetical, I don’t think anyone is really demanding more three hour blocks from AEW right now.

With the possibly of a MARIGOLD x WWE partnership thanks to Giulia being a part of WWE NXT and Giulia debuting at NXT Heatwave 2024 at Toronto of all places will we see Kairi Sane & Iyo Sky in MARIGOLD due to their connection with Rossy and their past in STARDOM and we know we think Asuka has some “weird beef” of some kind with Rossy “maybe” but we hope there be peace

also what is going on with AEW x STARDOM? is it a true partnership or is STARDOM “double down” on AEW?

Branavan from Ajax: Hey John and Wai I hope you are well, my question for the month concerns the recent (as of my writing this) podcast that the VOW Flagship did where Joe Lanza details the PR efforts of WWE and how the wrestling media as well as mainstream media play a part in it. My question is what do you guys make of the pod in question and what is your POV on the issues raised? I find it deeply concerning as WWE is still embroiled in the Janel Grant lawsuit and everything that it entails and yet it feels like (emphasis on feels) that besides POST, most in Wrestling Media would rather not talk about it. Thanks for all the pods and all that you do. :slight_smile:

I’m thinking about going to one of the first two nights of the G1 in Osaka this year. What do you think are the chances of there being AEW talent in the tournament, and guesses on who it could be?

Brian in New Jersey.

All the way back at WrestleMania Weekend, when you guys held that very nice get-together at Drinker’s Pub on Chestnut Street, I recall one Dickie Bird giving you guys a branding iron used by Terry Funk. Did this branding iron safely cross the border? Where is it now?

Thanks, and I’m glad you had your time in Philadelphia went well.

Imran from Huddersfield

If the WWE and Observer opened a music wing to their Hall of Fame, what single song would be your vote as first ballot entry into each? Could be a song / Entrance theme/ PPV theme etc…

Amit from London

When I see Ariel Helwani doing long form interviews with WWE wrestlers, I always think of my favourite wrestling journalist, Mr John Pollock. John, I think you would be incredible at these sort of deep interviews. Do you or have you ever had desire to do more of them?

Thanks to you both for continued content and entertainment.